2022 MA Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Exactly how I felt watching the last few laps. Never even heard of Sheridan before this race and was a fan before they even got on the podium.

Trainwreck and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  2. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I want to give a shout out to Gino on a respectable 15th place finish. I cheered him on every lap and he did a great job considering the schedule changes, rain, and most of all the wind.

When we got home from the track I was very cold, felt like I had ridden 50 miles without glasses or a shirt in 50 degree weather and I was only a spectator, but I got to cheer on everyone and they all put on a great show considering the changes in scheduling and a wild weather day.

3. Plain1984

Plain1984 Member

Oh learned sages and purveyors of wisdom on the Bebe? Who do you think made the call for Herrin to stay out those extra laps when he ran out of gas? How could they have miscalculated this? Thank you for your opinions and speculations.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Liter to gallon calculations went all wrong I suppose.

I'm more shocked how badly M4 fibbed their pit stops.

5. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Assuming Herrin was going to pit in that lap anyway, they were only off by half a lap. IMO that could attributed to the higher winds & leading too much.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Could have been the 7 lap red flag. Perhaps they didnt get quite the fill they thought. The priming issue seemed to catch them out after the refuel

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

What are we talking about with regards to Herrin running out of fuel? 1 cup, 1/2 cup?

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think you are right, glad you mentioned it because I was thinking the heat and compression kept the twin from firing. But since it is a basically stock engine you have to be right with the fuel.

9. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

With all the bitching on here about Brandon Paasch's immaturity on social media, the kid sure shows tons a patience and maturity on the track where it matters.
    He flat sat there and stalked them for the second year in a row and sling shotted them at the line. Last year he had to run down SDK and close a huge gap. This year he just sat there patiently saving his tires and bike.

I was rooting for Josh Hayes because I'm old, he's old and he clearly still belongs on a bike full time in that series. To run that pace for 57 laps and not put a wheel wrong shows he's fit enough to challenge in sprint races.

Glad to see Brandon win back to back though since Josh didn't win. He's young and clearly has that place figured out. Scott Russell may be passing the Mr. Daytona tag soon.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea I was cheering for Josh Hayes as well. It is cool Brandon has 2 in a row.

Hopefully Josh comes back again next year, as he is obviously good enough to win. That ending really seems like a roll of the dice and a lot of luck involved.

11. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

just watched the whole race and
    1. what was herrin bickering/jesturing to the rider next to him on like lap 3
    2. herrin running out of fuel? too much a gamble to squeeze out something like that
    3. last lap on the banking i feel like hayes should have stayed a tad higher in line with the two front runners

kinda crushed for hayes not winning or even podium

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

#4 almost pulled off a $cott Ru$$ell legendary from last to first win. Would have been cool...and agreed, he rode a great race.

Paasch is BARELY 20 years old. On two wheels his race craft is obviously way past that of a 20 year old. He can ride the absolute shit out of pretty much anything.
    When they come to NJMiniGP events and race, it's clear he's on another level when he's racing, in the pits...he's a happy go lucky, fun loving kid that's trying to figure
    it out like we all did at that age. He's may not realize it, but his antics are evidence of a young man trying to deal with advancing into adulthood while also handling
    the notice he's attracting that comes with talent on that level. Not like a LaMar Jackson, Joe Burrow, or Ja'Marr Chase. After a 3 day camp a couple years ago, I was packing up
    and talking with him about how when he's in NJMP with MiniGP, he's an example...a hero to those kids racing Spec 50. Same for Mazz and Gus Rodio. I watched my kid
    hang on every word he said, then we got home and Alex wanted a Branden Paasch/Gus Rodio hair cut....which totally cracked me up.

I'm not writing this in defense of Brandon, just my observations.

He also works his ass off for his craft. When he was racing the Moto3 in the UK for the championship, he was nearly starving himself and biking 50 miles a day to keep his weight down to keep the weight down on that platform.

I mean there's a long thread here about Herrin's maturity, and he's been racing as a pro for well over a decade, he's now a father, too. Like Josh, too...and he's still a work in progress.

Hell I'm 51 and a work in progress.

@sanee watching the race now...I think Herrin was signaling to the others that they were coming up on a slower rider. I wondered the same, but then the slower rider came into view.

jd41, kirk erlinger and sanee like this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Catch me up on the Duc running out of fuel... first stop or second? Ran out completely and pushed?

What happened during M4 stops? They get two guys in at once?

I remember one of my early 200s and I think it was Aaron Slight who had a mechanical coming out of the chicane... he ran full sprint pushing that Honda, RC45(?) all the way around on the apron then down pit lane only to get on his spare bike and go... had to have ran over a mile like that... he didn’t know about the short cuts or crash trucks I guess... don’t remember how many of my laps it took him but he didn’t let up.

14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

first m4 rider came in and they had prob with front wheel i believe but to me it looked like rear also, then i believe that caused a little of a disturbance to second rider coming in

418, Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  15. koth442

Bike rut out on the embankment but seemed to restart and at least sputter along on flat ground into pitlane. Looks like he either coasted or sputtered into the pit box. Fueled up but the injectors were full of air so the bike didn't want to start for ~10 more seconds even with crew pushing.

27 likes this.
  16. 418

418 Expert #59

Herrin pretty much ran out at the chicane.

I'm not even sure if Josh would have been there at the end anyways. That Ducati looked like it had the worst tire wear at the end of that 1st stint. He was spinning up everywhere.

17. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

If ever there should have been a 4-position podium, yesterdays race was it.

That was the only downer from the race from my fan perspective - all 4 in that lead group deserved it.

- What was Eslick gesturing about early in the race - to his team in the pits, other riders, his teammate, etc... I know he had an issue, maybe he was warning them to not get too close?
    - JH4 was wrong - he didn't pull a Crutchlow, he pulled an Acosta from pit lane, a Marquez in Moto3 pit lane start, and a Rossi with a 10 second pit penalty yesterday - last to lead group in 3-4 laps? :bow:

Herrins bike was a handful OMG, seeing it wag it's tail and tie itself in knots on the last left leading onto a banking EVERY damn lap was cringeworthy, then seeing him unable to get it stopped so many times. Lot's of development ahead and motor wise it sure didn't look to have any advantages in acceleration compared to the other brands - seems the initial balancing rules are at least close, even if Daytona is a throw away track in terms of a bikes potential for standard race courses.

18. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Brandon does have a tendency to mouth off on Instagram every now and then, but he only does it when challenged by someone else (like Herrin in this case...again). He doesn't go on there and start shit cuz he has nothing better to do, but he does retaliate when someone else starts shit with him. Some people say he's a bit arrogant, but IMO, and since I know him personally, I think Brandon rides that line between arrogance and confidence very well without going over the line. He's a great guy, always happy to be doing what he's doing, thankful to the people who have helped him, and quite mature for his age. His experience racing in the UK has also been very valuable, both on and off the track, and has gained a lot of fans and respect from people there. Shakey Byrne recently made a post about Brandon on his FB page, and it's great to see such kind words from someone as experienced and well known as him. Brandon has also worked his ass off to get where he's at, not only with training and race results, but also just being social and nice to everyone in person. I honestly can't think of anyone who doesn't like him who actually knows him personally...well besides Herrin I guess! LOL All the haters are just people who have never talked to him and are going based off social media posts.

I was super stoked to see him win it, just like I was last year. I would've been happy to see Hayes win it as well because he also deserves it, and wouldn't have minded if Cam Peterson won it, but I was always rooting for Brandon to take the win. I honestly didn't think he was going to be able to draft by everyone at the line so I was screaming when I saw he nipped it at the line just barely! Two wins in a row now by a total of only 0.038 seconds combined!

Also let's not forget 2019 where he got screwed over by the red flag and ended up being a 4-lap sprint restart. That race was going to either him or Bobby Fong, but he would've had for sure a 2nd place at least if it wasn't for the red flag incident.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

32C5A50E-2B14-49C5-813B-7FAD55515F8A.jpeg

So... math mistakes are unlikely... looks like someone stayed out too long... and someone isn’t impressed... imo

The Great One, TX Joose and MELK-MAN like this.
  20. koth442

Definitely agree someone isn't too impressed, but you don't think a small math mistake was possible? They weren't off my much (assuming Herrin was coming in that lap anyway). Did anyone see Herrin's pitboard telling him to come in?