1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike guys? Indoor trainer what one.

Discussion in 'General' started by hrc_nick_11, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Ordered rock & roll last night.

Scott, Eric is doing 3 centuries this weekend. One Sat., One yesterday and one today!!

2. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

Also, check out trainerroad.com. All you need is the speed/cadence sensor and an Ant + stick from garmin and you can train indoors with power. I also use a heart rate monitor. It make it a little bit more exciting.
    I have the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer as well.

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Rollers, rollers, rollers. Trainers will keep you in shape, rollers will make you a better rider too. Just picked up a set of aluminum rollers from performance, they're nicer than the kreitler's I used to have.

4. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

been a great winter for outside riding. +1 more for rollers tho

5. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

Get rollers....they will teach you to hold your dang line....or else !! :)

6. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Maybe a silly question, but do the fluid trainers, CycleOps or Kurt Kinetic, work as well with a mountain bike as a road bike?

7. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I would imagine it would destroy your back tire very fast. They flat spot road tires, so just imagine what it'd do to a mountain bike tire.

8. 3twins

3twins Well-Known Member

Yep.

You'll want to buy a trainer specific tire (roadies should be using them as well). Your local bike shop will most likely carry them.

Less noise and they last. I can't imagine how loud a knobby would be on a trainer.

9. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Thanks ... that's what I was afraid of ... just one more thing to make it less likely that I'll get motivated to do this.... :(

10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Just get some slicks for the trainer. I used to put specialized fatboy's on mine for running around town.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes they work with mtn bikes. You have to have a quick release
    rear wheel. You will also need to go to a slick rear tire.
    My supplier has trainers on sale right now if you're looking.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Rollers for form.

Trainer for workouts.

eMotion rollers allow you to get out of the saddle and sprint, but they're spendy. Kurt Kinetic is the gold standard, but the rock'n'roll has a huge footprint.

13. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Rode my rock/roll for the first time last night. Pretty nifty.

14. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I have a Specialized Hardrock maybe +/- 5y/o. Nothing fancy, looks just like this: http://www.phoenixbikes.org/files/images/IMG_0547_0.JPG
    If memory serves, I believe it has a quick release rear wheel.

15. bp@RiderSurance.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I have the Kinetic Rock and Roll as well... Never tried the rollers yet but I have jumped back on a standard trainer and I will not go back. The Rock and Roll is much more comfortable because the bike is able to rock left and right. If you jump back on a standard trainer that doesn't move you feel how much your butt digs into the saddle every pedal...

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/rock-roll-p-112-l-en.html

The only downfall is the trainer is bigger and heavier and when doing fast pedals you really do bounce a lot...

16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Anyone here using a Wahoo? Looking at them now. Surgery is going to keep me off of the roads and greenways some of this winter,

17. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Wahoo kickr, tacx neo, saris hammer, elite direto, there's a bunch. But tbh they only exist as the apps are so good these days, zwift, fulgaz, rgt, lots more. Zwift is a busy place during northern hemisphere winter, up to 30,000 online at any moment, and prob more this year.

StaccatoFan and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  18. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Wahoo is popular in the N. GA. area, with them being local and having many connections in all of the cycling community. Most of the shops in my area are well stocked and have good sales pitches for them. Doing some research of my own, on the Kickr, before jumping in the pool...

t11ravis likes this.
  19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I have the Wahoo kickr core, paired to the Zwift ap. you can order a cassette that matches your current rear wheel, so you dont have to take apart yours. that way if you get a nice day you want to "reality pedal" just pull it off the trainer, and throw the stock wheel on. having it hooked to a 75" TV, is like being inside the video game. it is nice to ride with a group in zwift but, really having options on where to ride and scenery, is my favorite part, so I dont get bored. I purchased mine from my LBS, had less than 900 into a new (not refurbbed) unit. good luck. Ski

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President