1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelled track day

Discussion in 'General' started by dave3593, Apr 20, 2021.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I wanted a little seat time before racing this year so I prepared for Monday 4/12 track day session at Mid Ohio. It was cancelled the Friday before due to low sign ups. I then signed up for the next Monday track day, 4/19, and it was also cancelled Friday due to low participation. I was told if they don't get 40 pre sign ups they cancel. These first two days of the track day season are shortened so bikes don't get on the track until late morning and stay a little later. It is $45 less than regular.

Mid Ohio appears to run their own track days. They call it PTR, Performance Track Riding. I remember seeing a lot of cancelled track days on the 2020 Mid Ohio schedule. Do the other track day organizations frequently cancel? This sure messes up my work vacation days.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The perks of monopolizing at the expense of the customer...

DucatiBomber and BigBird like this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

Man it's been years since I've heard of a track day cancelling.

TLR67 likes this.
  4. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

If they would repave the track they would fill the place and be turning customers away, also getting MA and other big car orgs to return.
    until then...

5. RandomTask

RandomTask Well-Known Member

In CO, yes. They would cancel for too few signups. CA? Not so much. Actually seems to have grown over the last 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

cough cough cancel culture...lol
    I like the pre-reg discount some orgs offer 30 days before an event.

BigBird likes this.
  7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Huh, Indy car still runs there, that’s a big car organization. So does nascar jr version. Other than imsa, not sure who else you’d consider to be a “big” car organization that races in the states.

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I would have to imagine a bunch of their 2020 cancellations were due to the WuFlu. Prior to that i dont think they have had any issues filling up classes.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

They say Mid-Ohio suffers from a lack of runoff and from what I understand not being able to expand the track boundaries. So how do you repave and add runoff for the bikes? You may be able to shorten the track (from 2.28 mile to ?) and create larger runoff areas but that costs major coin and may totally change the character of the track.

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

On the east coast, most track days are selling out. Spots open up if the weather looks bad as the folks that pay for premium memberships can cancel even last minute and get a full credit. Even with iffy weather, they have plenty of folks to run the day. Typically only tropical storm type stuff causes cancellations.

BigBird likes this.
  11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

There were a handful cancelations even at the end of last year from attendance. Maybe only reason the last day or two happened were from people who per-paid and had to use them or lose them.

12. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Hallett in Tulsa will occasionally cancel due to low signups which are usually due to nasty weather, but even last year they ran the vast majority of the motorbike days they planned.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If they don't have enough entrants to cover the costs I can't really blame them.

14. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

5 years ago i could wait until the day before to sign up every time. now i have to sign up early and risk the weather or it selling out in texas.. but the last open trackday i went to was $99 so thats prob why it sold out so fast lol

15. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

other than the covid crap sportbike track time doesn't cancel.
    not sure where your at but we had a good weekend last weekend at grattan cool in the morning but great afternoon ridding.

16. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

I can see how if the track is running their own day, and the signups are light, they’re going to cancel. After all, the track isn’t going to say to itself “hey, you still have to pay the track rental!!!”.

Whereas, if a trackday org is renting the track, the trackday org will run the event regardless as they have to pay the track - no cancelling on that contract.

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I've been to 2 trackdays that cancelled. The first was due to rain (in CA, no one rides in the rain). We didn't turn a lap, so the org got their $$ back and I got a full refund. The second was due to a sandstorm after we had run about 2hrs. I got 1/2 or 3/4 credit IIRC.

18. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Mid Ohio is the only track close enough to me to do a track day in one day including driving there and back. I am thinking about driving to Nelson Ledges for a track day a few weeks before their first WERA race then ride again 6/5 with WERA at nelson. The surface at Nelson is WAY better than Mid Ohio but I like the Mid Ohio layout.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And from what I've seen they won't race at most California MX tracks either? What's wrong with you people?

phsiao771 and stk0308 like this.
  20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You have been riding with AFM too long.

Tyler has ridden and raced in the rain at Willow Springs. When he was 15 and riding a CBR600 for the second time, the bike owner Tige Daane and I had a "little discussion", because I was paying for everything and Tige didn't want Tyler to ride much during rain practice. However, I wanted Tyler to get a bunch of rain practice, because you can't buy that experience in S. Cal very often. Tige had worked with Tyler for over a year and told me, he knows what he is doing, and so do I, so don't worry about it. Tige was right because Tyler did fine in the rain.

In the main fast class, the track champion was riding a R1 and Ty was on the 600, they went back and forth a 3-4 times during the rain race. About 3 laps in Tyler passed him around the outside of Turn 8. For those that have not ridden Willow, it that takes some "big balls" to pass around the outside of 8 in the wet or dry.

Tyler said he couldn't see very well with all the spray, he was just watching the other riders read wheel and swingarm. When that rider feathered it a bit through 8, Tyler gave it a little more and rode right on around the outside. Then the power of the R1 got the other rider back through on the front straight, so Tyler stuffed it up the inside into 1 with his rear up in the air.......it was a proud moment for me, I can assure you.

At that point Tyler hadn't learned the full respect of crashing at Willow. LOLOL

He also rode a wet trackday at Thunderhill, on a Monday after AFM cancelled the races at Buttonwillow, because AFM rules state if there are more than 3-5 drops of rain on the ground in a section the size of a brick, they pull you off the track.

Not in California, but I think every time we went to Miller with WERA, we rode in the rain.

He also rode in the rain a couple times with mini's in California.

Senna likes this.