Personality Type & PTSD & Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ive been doing a bit of self discovery lately and came across a strange coincidence. My personality type is ISTP (Mechanic, Virtuoso). One of the traits of this type is a need for adrenaline, and being drawn to activities like motorcycle racing if the day job doesnt give regular doses of it. Then it turns out I have PTSD from my upbringing as a child and wouldnt you know it, the books on this subject say PTSDers are drawn to risky behaviors like racing and gamblibg as well.

This helps explain my shock that most people have no desire to race motorcycles.

RichMangus likes this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Wow Dave...you mean to say that motorcycle racers are a disturbed bunch ??
    Thank you for the insight...:D

3. Dave Wolfe

Who woulda figured that? To me, you guys seem normal and everyone else is out of their flippin minds.

Saiyan66, tropicoz, BigBird and 5 others like this.
  4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's what I go with, I really only truly get along with racers, not trackday guys but racers. Everyone else seems off.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    BigBird, pscook, sdg and 1 other person like this.
  5. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

No wonder I fit in, kind of, maybe.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Despite all the damage you’ve all suffered in your lives, I want you all to know I’m here for you...

To perpetuate it. :D

CBRRRRR999, TurboBlew, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  7. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

ISTP checking in.

Can Confirm.

fishmonster13 and sdg like this.
  8. noles19

Am I the only one who doesn't know wtf istp is?

Shenanigans and tony 340 like this.
  9. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Interesting thoughts on personality types and why we ride.

For myself, riding on the track (and formerl racing) actually calms me and slows my thought process allowing me to have increased focus. While riding, I have to be singularly focused on the one thing I am doing, riding. When I dont, I find my riding absolutely sucks or I have moments that cause an "adrenaline rush" which means I screwed up. Fortunate enough, I have not had one of those "rushes" in a long time as they tend to wind up with me having broken bones...

Non riding people are often surprised when they ask the most common question of, "Are you an adrenaline junkie?" and I respond that that no I am not and for me, an adrenaline rush is the result of me not thinking clearly.

For the individual who many suffer from PTSD or has a personality type needing the "hit" of adrenaline, the need to feel "alive" can be overwhelming and they can often put themselves at an increased perceived risk to feel this. Quite the oversimplification for sure but much research and time by the psychological community has been devoted to this.

The brain is a marvelous thing for sure in how we are uniquely individual and all the same at the same time...

10. noles19

That's very similar to me, I don't race for the speed or the adrenaline, I race for the calming focus it brings when I do it correctly.
    I don't drink or smoke or anything either so it has a calming effect on my life and when it goes well allows me to be locked in, in real life verse distant and distracted.

11. Dave Wolfe

Yep!!

Its one of the sixteen briggs-meyer personality. Basically you take a 5 minute quiz about your likes and preferences and it spits out your type.

ISTPs keep their emotions bottled inside, look to themselves to fix things, mechanically handy, quiet natured, avoid doctors, etc. Logical people, not touchy feelie.

fishmonster13 likes this.
  12. Dave Wolfe

I race for the absolute focus on the here and now AND for the adrenaline hit.

Im the one that showed up at track days saying "but I AM here to crash, stop telling me not to!" New racer school was torture, being 'crash and you're out'. I just need my fix why u all gettin in my way!!??!

sdg likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That sounds like me.

noles19 likes this.
  14. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

This is very true for me. It's much more like meditation. It's a time of total focus with just me and a blend of physical and mental. That's true whether it's a race, street, or dirt bike. I've experienced similar perceptions from those that only know me at a surface level. They expect that I'm the type that just likes speed, but it's very much the opposite.

15. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

For me as well it was/is not about adrenaline rush. As a matter of fact, adrenaline never really triggers, or at least I don't feel it. It's about learning a skill that is so much more complex than non riding people can understand. Beating the track as most of your teachers and coaches will put it. I'm very ADHD and motorcycle racing(riding to develop skills on track) are the only things that have kept my full, undivided attention. A peace comes over my mind when I have the one job at hand. My entire being and life depends on MY decisions. Boy, it's great.

Pride & Joy likes this.
  16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

jasonhise likes this.
  17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I did a bungy jump once, everyone was saying it's an adrenaline rush, did nothing for me, it's kind of hard to beat being highsided at 80mph plus for an adrenaline rush.

Shocker, RRP and sdg like this.
  18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Highside?

Maybe not adrenaline, ....endorphins perhaps?

beac83 likes this.
  19. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”