Gratuities

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, May 13, 2016.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't judge them, I just don't reward them. I have plenty of days I would rather not deal with humans. I am paid to be professional, period. The position is irrelevant.

cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I think it is the difference between sober and drunk Mark.

RRP likes this.
  3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My wife an I were both servers at one point. We both made pretty good money at the time for being in school but there were tricks to the trade:
    1. Slip the hostess a 20 and she wouldn't seat me less than a 4 top unless they asked for me. I was first on the list for parties over 10.
    2. We had a section of the restaurant that we closed during the week because it wasn't busy. I always prepped one table in the back for my "discrete" customers. Side entry, no cameras. You get the deal.
    3. Always ran my own food. Check the ticket before it leaves so everything is right and nothing goes back.
    4. If they have kids at the table, ask if they would like to have their food first... Kids meals are usually less than 10 minutes (It keeps them busy so mom and dad can have a conversation).

It doesn't take much to be decent but you do have to learn to be good. A good sense of timing is critical because it won't help your tip, but it can kill it.

R1Racer99, badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most of the time the people putting together your togo at those places are the servers/bartenders and while they don't have to do as much as if you eat in they still take time out of handling other customers to do your stuff so a couple bucks is a good thing for sure.

BigBird likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

A good server that treats the job in a professional manner can make decent money. It's usually those that are looking for nothing more than a paycheck that don't make the grade.

R1Racer99 and cav115 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet again - if that is the case that is great - but YOU are the one bitching about the money right now. I'm totally in agreement on going for the dream and screw the money, been doing that for 27 years now. While I will occasionally wish I made more or will talk about what I make in a conversation I don't bitch about it. It's a decision I made and was my call. I don't fault racers being cheap for me not making much even though I'd have at least a little bit of a point there :crackup:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And here we go, dream job would do it for free blah blah blah - oh wait those mother fuckers didn't pay me enough!!!

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Yes and am sorry, its about a bottle of rum and a lime. Never take what I say on here serious

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How is his friend ignorant? Before WERA I worked in a lot of restaurants and bars and while there were always BS rumors about low tip meanings the reality was always the same. If someone left just a penny - no matter how it was faced - it meant you sucked. Same for just the coins in their change or the like. Penny face up may be a long term custom in one area but it didn't exist through 1991 or so...

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That makes no damned sense and never heard of that in any of the places I worked :crackup:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, it is definitely something you can do as a career if you're good enough.

12. Captain Morgan

You seem to be mad at me?, just my normal life, wish you the best and thanks for all you do for road racers in America

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not remotely mad, pointing and laughing :D

14. Captain Morgan

ok, going to sit under an umbrella on the beach, my job today, you win, you are better and bigger than me, satisfied.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

I tip for take out, I do at least 10%. The staff's salary doesn't change because they are at the takeout section.

16. Yeah, everyone has shitty days. The key is, you don't take your personal problems out on paying customers, no matter how shitty your day is. Rewarding someone for doing that lets them know they can do it again.

Even worse for me - when I am on the company dime in the US, per corporate policy the maximum I'm allowed to tip is 15%. 15% is objectively pretty decent, but if the norm gets reset to 15% for shitty service because lots of people start following your poor example, then it makes those of us who have to work under such a policy look stingy because we didn't or couldn't reward average service with 20%.

17. I also tip for takeout, but only at full-service restaurants where there isn't a takeout counter, and the waitstaff handles the takeout order.

18. Captain Morgan

Look at your last 10 posts, please don't become a crotchety old bitter man!

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

say at PF Chang's they have a takeout counter, how do you handle that? It's still the wait staff doing that.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm in my PJ's in the recliner, I'm good with my job. I am definitely bigger than you, better....well probably but I am biased towards me being better than everyone not me :crackup:

Not sure why it needs to be a competition, I'm just laughing at you saying drastically different things in posts one after the other :D