Let’s talk touring bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it was a normal Hyper with bags from Ducati but not sure. As for touring - totally depends on the rider really. It's so much better than any bike I had when I started riding it's not funny, but I'm old and fat now and much prefer the Multi. Granted if I do distance type stuff the boss is usually with and the Mutli is the two up bike no matter what.

2. I ordered the Ducati Comfort seat. But in the past I’ve just taken the seat to an upholstery place.

They remove the cover, add 3:4-1” of foam, the staple it back in place.

It works great, makes it more comfortable, and only costs like $30.

3. That’s more of a “day trip” bike. I would ride it 200 miles or so, but I wouldn’t head cross country on it.

4. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I'll wear biking shorts if I'm going for more than a couple hours. I have a stock seat that starts to be a pain in the ass after about 50 miles. The biking shorts really make a difference.

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I said Hyper, meant Multi

6. I wear my same racing Knox undershorts when I take trips. Not only are they armored, but being spandex they keep my junk from bouncing around.

I take gear seriously on the street also. People are idiots.

I wear riding jeans that are 14oz denim with Kevlar lining and knee armor built in. Then I wear those Knox undershorts that have hip, thigh, assbone armor.

Then an Alpinestars jacket with back and chest protectors built in, Alpinestars SMX-2 boots, Bell Star helmet, and Knox or Alpinestars gloves.

My helmet, jacket, even gloves and boots have that really bright highlighter yellow color in the scheme.

BigBird likes this.
  7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

You're probably right. The stories I read were most likely somewhat exaggerated. The loudest voice who was complaining was a guy on the YuteTubes who goes by the name of Snowcat. He must have gotten a real lemon. Ducati ended up buying the bike back and making him sign a NDA regarding the specifics of his issues.

8. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

GROM

/End

:)

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I do need one.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There's no reason to not be safe, but in all honesty, those things provide little in the way of protection against the dangers we face on the road. Impacts with vehicles and stationary objects are the problem, not abrasion and tumbling/deflection injury.

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Most of the time. Some of the time that abrasion and tumbling/deflection can be mitigated by the proper gear. But, hey, you pays your moneys and you takes yer chances...

Gorilla George and pscook like this.
  12. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the XR and Multi tomorrow but I leaning towards the bimmer since I love my s1000rr motor.
    Only thing is it has to be comfortable for my wife on the back.

13. Agreed.

It’s true most of shit won’t help much in a head on collision with a drunk driver.

But if I find myself sliding down the road, into a curb, down a ditch, etc...I’d rather have that shit on than not.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I read some of that, seems truly weird to me all of the issues he had especially as unrelated as they were. Makes me wonder how he was riding it.

sharkattack likes this.
  15. Hey Tim, if you are looking at them and have a specific question about the Multi, shoot me a text.

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I like my XR - picked up a 2016 on Saturday and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the bike :D

Attached Files:

17. That bike would be super nice if the headlights matched. :D

18. SuddenBraking

You know that the left bag is larger than the right bag on your bike, right?

Think about that every time you get ready to ride it :p

Man, that would drive me fucking nuts...........

19. No.

I am ignoring your reality and substituting it with my own.

beac83 and panthercity like this.
  20. SuddenBraking

It must turn left better than it does right, no? Have you noticed that? It's not that it's a bad thing........it's just not even. I can't even imagine having to adjust my weight differently to turn one way vs the other............huh..........oh well, for a rider of your caliber that difference shouldn't be that hard to compensate for. Maybe just put more dense materials in the right bag and less dense materials in the left bag.

Yup, that should solve it :crackup:

(I expect consideration in the form of a check from whomever ends up buying Broome's bike for a song in a few weeks when that drives him fucking mental).