Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The frequency of your dirt bike outings has me very jealous and needing to rearrange life priorities to spend more time out in the dirt.

2. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

Someone has to..well, you know.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Buffalo Mountain. Apparently it has a bunch of single track. Its apparently connected via the Devil Anse connector.

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Weekend of 28 September.

The 419 guys (I know, I know) have been going up there since they were kids. So, it’s like having a good group of tour guides who drink with you and feed you undercooked chicken.

Contact us for details. Put on your drinking shoes, and bring your fire suit.

renegade17 likes this.
  6. I need to find some people who want to ride back country with me. It would definitely be a lot safer than what I was doing in the past. Does anyone go out alone and use a spot or something along those lines? Being anywhere from 20-50 miles out from base camp (not even civilization) in the wilderness or desert alone is probably the most fun thing I’ve ever done but reflecting back on all the times I’ve done it and I had a mechanical issue or got hurt I would have been super fucked.

Also, before the “just don’t do that” safety crew comes in here, I love it and I’m not going to stop. I just need to be smarter about it.

7. Resident Plarp

I ride solo often, mainly because all of the assholes I’ve ridden with like to stop at every_fucking_crossing (but not the 419 guys) and talk for an hour. Fuck that, I’ve got shit to do, like ride a motorcycle and not talk to anyone (see comms thread).

I don’t consider it irresponsible, I mean, unless you’ve got a family that cares about you and shit. So long as you stay on a marked trail, I mean, if you die, someone might find you before the bears turn you into poop.

:D :D :D

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No shit! Between this and the fishin' thread, I don't know what to do anymore. :D

9. I think my wife and 2 kids might like me but jury’s out. I think one of my dogs might like me. Maybe. :crackup:

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the invite. I'd definitely like to join you guys but I think it's a little too last minute for me. I have plans to be out of town the weekend before that to go road racing unless if I blow my bike up at Gingerman tomorrow. If that's the case I might change plans. But man those trails are fucking awesome up there. We had a blast in May. I completely rebuilt the trusty 02 KX250 and she's running like a top. I need the big enduro gas tank though to make a whole loop out there without worry.

upload_2018-8-30_14-11-0.png

11. Resident Plarp

Well, I hope your road bike blows up at Gingerbreadman Raceway, right after you pit-in on your last lap of the day.

:D

12. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

The trails there are pretty good. When there's a lot of rain, there's a ton of puddles there on some of the trails, making for shitty riding. We go in May every year, this is the first year we'll go in October. Hopefully things are dry.

13. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

90% of my rides are solo and usually in the remote back country of the NC mtns. No easy way in/out. Often hard terrain. I pack minimalist overnight/survival gear, spares, etc. plus a light, capable, reliable bike.

Yes chit can happen. As anywhere else. No one rides near me, and I refuse to solely depend on others to do what I like to do.

14. New battery, fresh gas and she fired right up tonight after a year of sitting. Damn I missed this thing. Took her for a spin around the neighborhood and with the petcock in the on position the bike stalled out on the second lap around the block. Switched it to reserve and she fired back up. Somethings up with this petcock for sure.

I think I’ll ride this weekend, then change the oil and do the valves before I ride next.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

something's up with MY petcock! say petcock again... but slower this time... with a pause...

[​IMG]

- Woodrow

16. Pet. Cock.

Ear muffs dammit!

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I have a Spot that I carry with me when I ride solo on street or dirt. I got it mainly for a trip out west and resubscribed this year for a colorado trip. Handy as your friends can follow along, and you have four different options/buttons to press that you can preprogram with canned messages. Like the following:
    button 1: "having a great time, here's where we are" and sends the people your waypoint (you can send it as a text message or an email or both)
    button 2: "had some sort of issue. Will be delayed but all good" (i.e. some sort of mechanical has caused you to be late but you don't need help)
    button 3: " had some sort of issue. Need help" (i.e. some sort of mechanical or physical issue where you are stuck and need someone to come and get you, but not medical/rescue)
    button 4/SOS button- if you hit this one it goes straight to their (Spot) center and they contact the local rescue squad/police/Fire/EMT to go to your location ASAP. You have no control over what happens or who gets notified. Use this if you hurt yourself.

You can have it send out location pings every 10 minutes (or more if you want), so someone can track you and see where you are and if you've been at a same location for a while.

overall it's a pretty good setup, as it's all satellite based so there's no issues with not having cell coverage out west or overseas. They have a brand new Spot X that is like an old blackberry with a keypad so you can send and receive messages. Great to communicate exactly what's going on and wha your needs are. One of the guys I rode with in CO had one and it was great to be able to communicate with no cell service. You can probably find a spot (gen 3 is the most recent) now that the X is out.

18. Mines been sitting in my storage unit forever, no damn time.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Wanna come with us to Hatfield/McCoy the first weekend in October? We rented a big house.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Anyone in the south east, Highland Park riding resort (west of Atlanta near the AL border) is doing their annual Zombie Hare Scramble on sunday Oct 28th. Usually a pretty laid back race, good course and a few riders in costume (and a few zombies out on the course). I haven't raced it in a few years but plan on being there. I'll race the ADV class if there are a few more suckers there, otherwise I'll race the 950 in the 50+C class. ADV is open to any 650+cc street legal bikes. If we can get 3 riders on ADV bikes Paul will add in an ADV class otherwise I'll just race in the age classes since I'm old and slow.

I'll post more details when they post them.

terminus est likes this.