1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsports on TV.

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Dec 26, 2017.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Fair warning, this is a Metalhead type of rant. Meaning, there is not a whole lot of substance.:D

IMHO, there seem to be a collective effort to wipe motorsports off the face of the mainstream media.

I've been home last few days, had a chance to channel surf a little and beside a monster truck show, I wasnt able to catch any highlight shows, no re-runs of any races, etc. Not even NASCAR.

On one hand you could say that motorsports has fallen out of favor with the public but the cynic is me thinks that maybe that powers that be are pushing dirty, loud, barbarian motorsports out of the limelight, for reasons that would be better discussed in The Dungeon.

It wouldnt surprise me either way, but as a kid I remember watching recaps of different racing seasons was one of my favorite holiday pass times. I guess I'm officially old and the way of the new world is leaving my old ass behind.

The end?

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Well, you did not look very hard.
    There were several races on NBC Sports as well as either CBS or NBC has Pro 2 /4 Truck races yesterday.
    Don't know what package you have but DTV Sports pack have snowmobile/ truck & boat racing

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More than when I was a kid by a HUGE amount - and that's factoring in cable and local sports networks looking for content.

Less than at some times in the last 30-40 years yeah but some of it got stupid and some stuff like NASCAR can't support the 20 shows they had recapping each week and the like.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It's the freakin off season. Been like this for as long as I can remember. The time from just before Thanksgiving up until the 24 Hours of Daytona is the black hole of motorsports. I'm ashamed to admit that I kind of like the break because it allows me to have some semblance of a life, but I just fill the extra time with enough hockey to startle a Canadian.

This upcoming year will be even more brutal with the Winter Olympics...what I consider to be the single greatest sporting event in history. Who doesn't remember Franz Klammer's downhill run in 76? One of the greatest runs ever. I'm so bad that I've been watching Curling preliminaries to see which US team makes it:D

(The Official 2018 Winter Olympics thread will be forthcoming. I just figured it was a tad early to start one)

Here's the cutie I caught the other night. Something about a curling chick sends me over the edge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Motofun352, motoracer1100 and G Dawg like this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

With the exception of Nascar and the occasional motocross racing was non-existent on tv when I was a kid. But we couldn't afford cable either.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Be patient, the supercross season is about the start up again in just 2 weeks. It is the off-season for most all racing right now.

I've said this before many times, keep this link in your favorites and check it every week or so, you'll find plenty if you know where to look and or course if your cable package has the channels.

http://tvracer.com

terminus est, ajcjr and Phl218 like this.
  7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

:crackup:Right there with you. Well, maybe not quite that bad lol.

8. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

:stupid: WSBK and the FIM Endurance recaps were both on this weekend.

There is a ton of racing on TV. MavTV, Velocity, BeIn, NBC Sports and CBS Sports all show two and four wheel racing.
    GP, SBKs, Flat Track, Isle of Man, Macau, Rally Cars, Formula 1, DTM, WEC, Indy Cars, Sports Cars and much more were all on TV this year. Most in their entirety and over the whole season. It’s there if you look.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

I got ESPN and FS1. Lol

Ive never seen anything but fake reality car shows on Velocity with guys with ridiculous hair.

10. The multiple NASCAR stuff over flooded the market and IMO hurt motorsports overall as a lot of people got turned off by it. This comes from conversations from my non motorsports friends (I know that’s a sin in itself but the are good people so I let it slide a bit).

11. When I was a kid in the great white north we had all kinds of cool motorsports. All the cdn superbike, all the 4 wheel road racing, nascar was on the big networks, heck I even remember watching swamp buggy races.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

The constant overexposure doesn't seem to hurt other sports tho. I mean they have whole shows that concentrate on LeBrons mood for that day and people eat that shit up. I don't get it.

13. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

Watched the MotoAmerica 2017 season review show yesterday on BeIn.

418 likes this.
  14. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

There was a MotoGp year in review on yesterday on BeIn.

418 likes this.
  15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The 2017 SX season played all day yesterday on FS2.
    2017 MX review is coming on in BeIn at 1:00
    WSBK season review is coming on on BeIn now.

16. FlynScotsman

FlynScotsman Well-Known Member

A few years ago we could occasionally catch the Aussie Supercar series on the Speed Network this time of year. That was fun stuff to watch.

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

MotoGP reruns are on 24/7 on MotoGP.com :D

badmoon692008 and 03RumbleBee like this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Dakar highlights will be starting about a week. Most bad ass racing on the planet.

Steeltoe and 5axis like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch this with Tyler and 2 buddies and their boys opening weekend Jan 6th. Can't wait, it has been a few years since I've gone.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I like motorsports, but couldn't watch Nascrap.