1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new MTB

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, May 6, 2017.

1. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Probably one of the KTM's as long as Livengood could service it.

2. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

My buddy has the YT CAPRA and YT TUES, bought both this year. They are both awesome, I rode both and I think a YT will be my next bike. A lot of bang for the buck.

Personally I got a used 2014 Nomad CC XX1 off pinkbike for a little over your budget. I still like it better than every other bike I've ridden.

3. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Current rig, v.2 Santa Cruz 5010cc . So far it's been the Swiss army knife of bikes, pretty good at everything. From long climbs like Kitsuma to crazy decents with big drops.
    IMG_20170928_165821_01.jpg

plater1 and Phl218 like this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This was $1600, weighs about 30lbs. If I want suspension forks, I figure I could retro a pretty good package and only add another $700-$800.
    IMG_1176.JPG

5. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I have an aluminum Stumpy 26 and a carbon frame, carbon wheels Epic 29. Both are rock solid bikes. My first real mountain bike was a 2007 Stumpy and I beat the crap out of it learning and crashing and the bike never skipped a beat.

Baker Creek is fun but definitely doesn't need a big suspension bike. I rode it on my Stumpjumper a few months ago and it was great for Barn Burner but for the rest of the trail system I wish I had my Epic with me. Stumpy is a great all around bike. I've climbed it plenty too. It does the job for nearly any trail and is much easier on the tailbone and lower back compared to the Epic. If you plan to do anything like Bomb Dog at Anniston or even Windrock or Bailey the Stumpjumper inspires tons of confidence.

Heard awesome things about YT also and they seem to be a great value. Treks always felt so heavy to me and suspension just felt clunky.

6. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

What he^ said. I have 4 bikes, 3 mtbs one road. My favorite without question is my 2013 Stumpjumper. It ain't the lightest, or newest, or the fastest but it's for sure the most fun. It's a fantastic 'Do-anything' bike that I've beat the shit out of and upgraded endlessly. Mine is aluminum framed, wide carbon wheels, 1x drivetrain, etc, etc... It's 27 or so pounds and is one seriously comfy monster truck of a mountain bike. I can't recommend that type of bike enough.

7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

My stumpjumper 29 fsr was my favorite bike. Monster truck was a great description. I should have kept and upgraded it.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Recently swapped my Focus 29'er for a Trek ProCal. It's not a ton different, except for the geometry and a few little bells and whistles. Man, I didn't think geometry and the little things made a difference, but this new ride is a ton more fun to ride.

9. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

I can second the Trek ProCaliber. Tubeless, it comes in at 23.5 (Procal 9.7). Frame has a pivot point for built in flex that still acts like a hard tail.

10. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Salsa horse thief... because america

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I love my Orbea... moving from a Fuel I was worried I wouldn't like the hard tail again, but the 29" wheels make such a big difference, and the geometry on this thing fits me perfectly!

Not to fond of the fork, but thats not hard to fix.

Attached Files:

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

What fork is that ?

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I've ridden a Pivot 429 trail with the 27.5 x ~2.8" (fatish) tires and its was pure joy, too bad it cost 6K. Climbs like a goat , very slick downhill, and doesn't seem to kill my lower back (reason I quit riding). I've been searching for a similar bike that costs less but they just don't compare, may have to pony up. The Trek Fuel/Remedy has been the closest so far, you can get the alloy version of the Fuel for close to 3K.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Check your local forums, Ebay, etc. There are supported riders that generally off load nice bikes at a pretty decent price, this time of year.

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Rockshox Recon something or other, air spring... I had a Manitou Minute on my Fuel which is air, oil, coil spring. The difference is night-and-day. Cant wait to upgrade this fork.

16. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Riders Discount likes this.
  18. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

You're welcome to try out my Jet Rdo (it accepts both 29 & 27.5+). Currently setup with 29" wheels but my new hardtail will be here in a couple weeks and it has 27.5+ hoops.

19. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

That would be cool Rob, you coming to Ale 4 Trail tomorrow?

20. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

Indeed.
    See you there?