1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Air filter rule via CCS Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by lonewrench, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Maybe everyone including MA, CCS, WERA, MRA, CMRA, FMRRA, OMRRA, LRRS and whatever other acronym I missed, could set a date 6-8 months out and have a proper meeting about it? Highly doubtful but from this side of the fence I think a lot of us would like to see that happen. Unified rules across all road racing phased in over 2 seasons. Everyone has *similar* classes but the disparity between the way everyone does things from class structure to actual rule implementation is just annoying at this point. It's why everyone sticks to 1 organization to race with.

I can dream right? :rtfrb:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dream on, it'll never happen.

We did try it at the AMA not too long ago, nothing really changed.

MA is working towards FIM rules - which makes perfect sense.

WERA is working towards MA and therefore FIM rules - have tried with the classes that match since I've been doing the rules. We'll always have some slight differences as I've said before but I'll try and get close.

CCS is doing what works for them.

All of the rest are controlled by boards and votes and the like and have no power to actually make any changes even if their current president did go to a meeting. I've even offered our entire rulebook to other clubs to try and consolidate rules across the board. Some have used it (CMRA) but then the boards change things and they get further apart again.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

And what does it hurt to allow it..?? "Stupid"?? Define how one could "get stupid" with such an item being allowed on an airbox?

4. If you think about it, that is sad. At the end of the day, it would benefit everyone. Orgs being different and doing their own thing, for the sake of doing their own thing, only hurts them.

Like Alex said, people are reluctant to race with other orgs because of the variances in rules. If the rules were the same across the board, more riders would be willing to branch out and race other places.

There really is no excuse for or sense in having different rules. I mean for the life of me, I can't thing of a valid reason.

Everyone races the same bikes, has the same aftermarket equipment available to them from the same vendors, etc.

The ONLY reason I can see for a club having its own rules is if they are actually TRYING to make it so riders don't want to race with other orgs. Maybe they think they can "trap" their racers by making them adapt to rules that aren't applicable to other orgs, thereby making it much harder to race with anyone else.

...which is chickenshit and only hurts the sport as a whole in my opinion.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously amazes me where people will stick tape just because it looks cool.

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You didn't answer the question...instead you side stepped. (I have to drive to Mayretta and drop some Stainless stuff, I will look for an answer after delivery, Mexican, Beer and Traffic)...:)

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What it hurts is they will/have put tape all over the place in the engine bay/area covering up shit and doing more damage than good as well as covering potential issues with the bike. It's a can of worms that riders will take stupid far and serves no purpose other than looking cool and shiny.

Same as my previous answer - It amazes me where people will stick tape just because it looks cool.

Yes I know you said airbox - with ram air where does that end? Hence they'll get stupid wit it.

8. As if further justification is necessary. :crackup:

5axis likes this.
  9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Ram air tubes are connected to airbox inlet and are not part of the airbox. And even if they are idtios and want to tape the ram air tubes, it's not all over the place in the engine bay and covering up shit.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not talking about people who have a clue. I'm talking about the 80% of racers who don't and will put shiny tape everywhere - which then leads to enforcing rules and pissed off people. Easier to enforce and understand to say no tape.

11. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Interesting on the tape. I use the silver coated car stereo sound deadening stuff on the airbox, underside of the gas tank and the front sprocket cover. Helps to reduce noise.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're concerned about noise on a race bike?

BTW - not SS legal :D

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Chris don't forget that this is club racing, there are guys with bikes that are several generations old, racing in both amateur and expert classes. Those bikes are cheap and usually good learning tools.

Ever try to find a stock airbox and filter for a 15 year old bike?

The R6s are all the same and we still have this giant dilemma going in in Daytona.

14. Totally agree (and I made that same comment in another post...and said that clubs have to account for bikes from the 60's to brand new, minis up to 1299's, carbed and FI'ed, etc).

But that is the case with all clubs.

I see no reason why the rules for each bike/class can't match. For example, AHRMA's Vintage rules should match WERA's Vintage rules. CCS and WERA rules should match, etc.

If an org has mini or Grom racing, then their rules for those respective classes should match the rules from the other orgs.

So on and so forth...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So I should change our Grom rules to match CMRA and no allow rearsets?

badmoon692008 and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. caferace

caferace No.

That's just mean. And funny. :D

-jim

17. Nope. They should match WERA. :D

But in all seriousness, in going back to my previous point about the 3 FIM categories, the orgs decide and simply state the Groms will be classified as either Superstock, Supersport, or Superbike.

Then the racer refers to the rules for that respective category, done deal.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They started the class so we should match them.

But my point as I'm sure you can tell is that it's hard to match each other because everyone involved has different ideas of what is the proper set of rules. I went with what my customers wanted for the Groms balanced with keeping it cheap and fun.

Please ignore the class naming MotoAmerica/FIM is using currently - there is no difference in Superstock and Supersport. There is Superstock aka Supersport and then there is Superbike :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And all rules should match WERAs. Would make life easier on everyone. I'll send rulebooks and letters allowing the use with attribution to any org that wants them :D

20. Agreed. :D