Talladega Roll call 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by TLR67, Dec 27, 2016.

1. I didn't see a single thing in that video worth bitching about.

It was some good racing all around.

If somebody is passing on the straights and "parking" in the corners, then you should be able to pass them on the brakes into the corner, or pass then IN the corner (especially of you know they are going to park it).

I've raced against Liter bikes while i was on 600s, and done tons of TDs on 600s (full of guys on Liter bikes). There is always a way to get past them. The bikes are only about 2-3' wide, the track is 30' wide. Nobody should be "held up", especially if we are talking about an Expert being held up by a Novice.

Ducti89 likes this.
  2. As far as the crash, IMO 2 mistakes were made that led to it.

1. When the rider got the false neutral, he should have pulled the clutch in and turned into the corner (would likely need to trail brake more because of the lack of engine braking).

Then when out of the corner UPshift, then dump the clutch. The bike should restart and you can keep going. I've had that exact scenario play out on multiple bikes and that is exactly what I did.

It is nerve racing entering a corner with the clutch in and bike dead (especially fast corners), but if you keep your cool and do that ^ it will work out fine.

2. The trailing rider (that had nowhere to go) could/should have been on the inside. Especially when expecting the rider in front to "park it" in the corner. If he would have creeped over to the inside (to make a pass on the brakes), he wouldn't have been caught up in the false neutral scenario.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but that is just my .02. Hopefully somebody will read it and learn something to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Ducti89 and dsmitty37 like this.
  3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

^ Experience there. All I could think of is that sometimes I'm on the outside and sometimes on the inside...but miss a shift or not, always maintain as predictable line as possible. Not a whole lot that you can do about getting ass packed when you miss a shift, but going looky loo ain't something that I'd do.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

But don't act like you didn't giggle the whole time watching that vid at the noises

Wheel Bearing and Phl218 like this.
  5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Never have truer words been written.

nhammond54 likes this.
  6. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

Well #2 would have been great if he wasn't parking it at the apex, and he was killing my drive up the hill. So outside was the only way around. I had no idea that someone would chose to go straight into a corner that is going up hill. Even if you had no brakes the hill would stop you. That is my 1st person 2 cents.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I mess with you because of the pure and utter bullshit like this.

You keep trying to insist something that you don't like is a safety issue when I have explained how it is safer. Yes, I take it personally when people try and throw safety around just because they don't like something. Yes, this like all of your complaints is about you and not the best thing fo safety or the class or the organization.

I do look at the laptimes. I also look at the riders skill and experience. I take all of that into consideration.

If you passing slower riders with all of your experience isn't done safely the issue is with you as a rider. Maybe I shouldn't trust you as much as I do to ride safely.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Here on the BBS, facebook, press releases on RRW and so on. We'll be doing a mailing in the next couple of weeks as well

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Something to benefit one or two riders that would then screw up the program for the rest of the paddock is usually shot down. The world doesn't revolve around you and the choices you make. If we can do something like that easily we do so - and have done so many many times for many many riders.

10. Mongo, HWT-SS and C-SB need to always be split into separate races rather than being combined.

It is a safety issue.

dsmitty37, Phl218 and throwdown like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

A few things:

Novice did nothing "wrong"

Passing rider should have gone to inside. Period. No excuses, you're to blame for your own mistake.

No different if newbie motor blown, flat tire or any other mechanical. I wouldn't expect a true novice to hold it together to complete the turn.

And the laptime sped up is precisely what it feels like when I'm riding:)

SmokeSignalRT and roy826ex like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Yes this too.

Another chance to spank Broome is always welcome:)

Metalhead likes this.
  14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've had people hold me up and mes up my race. The thing that needs to be mentioned, possibly at the riders meeting, is that no one needs to "race" people from another class. I don't know how many times a guy on a new twin started racing me on my F3. Even if you don't know what I'm riding, you can tell I'm not entered in a twins race. You both end up taking chances to pass some one that doesn't matter. I don't think anyone ever tells new people this. They came to race, and there's someone near them, so they race.

On the pass, I prefer to pass on the inside. But if you can't pass in the braking zone of turn one at Road Atl, you will mess up the person you are passing. The line takes you as far inside as you can get without losing the front by the corner workers stand. So you as the passer, have to push them off line, possible bump them, to get your spot. Not the nicest way to treat someone, especially if they are new and still learning how to deal with really close passes.

Lucky for us, everyone is fine. If the people involved can move past it, I think the rest of us need to let it go. Let everything cool down and at Tally, maybe they can share a bee....coke and be friends.

nhammond54, throwdown and roy826ex like this.
  15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Um, you're being way too... mature? sensible? logical?

Not sure what the proper word is but whatever it is - it's off putting.

:D

Lazy Destroyer and Phl218 like this.
  16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Sorry, I'll try one of my more favorite things then....

YOU EFFERS NEED JESUS!!!!!!

dsmitty37, roy826ex and Phl218 like this.
  17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Now we're talking!

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

All this damned drama... You fuckers better bring firewood!

Shenanigans and Pitdad42 like this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bump on the last post....

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Screw that, I'm not touching the brakes til I see Elvis!!! Unfortunately that will have to wait til after the Tally opener.