2015/2016 Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sbhockey, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yeah, 200 is pretty long for that round. I was thinking you maybe were using subsonics up close. That round looks about like the hottest factory load for the 300 you can get.

2. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

I've put 4 slick heads on the ground with the bow this year so far to get some meet in the freezer. Have seen and let go a good number of bucks as well. walked several 130 and 140 class 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year olds but haven't worked anything out with a mature/shooter size yet. not bad though considering my time in the woods has been greatly limited this year due to having our little boy. Wouldn't change that though for a second and still getting the job done in the woods. Can't wait to share all of this with him as he grows though!

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

200 yds with 300 blackout does seem like a reach. glad
    200 yds with 300 blackout does seem like a reach. glad you got six pigs though, thats awesome. after all the reading ive done on that round, i started making myself an upper.

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Yeah one of the pigs was on the other side of a ditch filled with water and wouldn't come closer so i took the shot... waited.... waited. SMACK and the pig ran. I aimed for the ear again but it dropped a bit then i realized how far it was from the stand when i got down. I'm shooting a 8.5 SBR suppressed, I got for stalking, it'll be great for the deep bottom where you won't shoot over 75 but i've had a ton of luck in the green fields in the afternoon and am going to try out an 11.5 6.8.

300blk out w/0 suppressor. That carpet is making me dizzy.

[​IMG]

dsmitty37 likes this.
  5. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

Went to my stand in the dark, early this morning (aka a small cabin on my buddy's land) with my bow. Strange not seeing any deer since there is a dumb ass forked horn buck that has been really active in the area and tons of does usually. When it got light I hung out for a few more hours and nothing. Climb off the elevated porch and walk the twenty yards to make sure the grain is not all gone, I see the feeder (legal in Oregon) ripped off the tree and destroyed and bloody. Damn bear. At least he cut his mouth up a bit ripping into the plywood. Gonna give it a few days - refill it, and get me some venison!

6. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Although I've hunted small game and waterfowl for several years, I haven't put much time into deer hunting, and haven't harvested one yet. That changed last weekend! A decent sized (for me) 3 point (would have been a 4 but it had one of the tines break off). I had been sitting on the ground over a ridge for an hour when a deer came walking from directly behind me and spooked when he was about 10 yards away. I waited an hour, and then slowly walked over to a tree stand 50 yards away to try and scope something in the nearby field as the sun went down. Sure enough, 5 minutes after getting in the stand Mr. Buck hopped out of the hedgerow about 60 yards out. Considering I was using a 7mm rifle, it was about as easy as a shot as you can ask for. Happily, the kill was instant and as clean as you can ask for.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

One day before her 12th bday. Nice doe, one shot(muzzleloader), ran 30 or so yards. Nice going Squirrel! IMAG0665_1.jpg

V5 Racer, dsmitty37 and rd400racer like this.
  8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Got these last night. 300 blk out SBR with thermal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

V5 Racer and dsmitty37 like this.
  9. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Going Saturday with the dogs and my K-Bar.

10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good time.

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I've arrowed a few critters this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

That's a trophy squirrel if I've ever seen one. Nice shot.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Here are a couple of grouse pics...

This is me after I caught a grouse while riding, obviously. We came back around about 3 hours later, and he was still there so I actually got on my knees to see if he would get close to me. He actually went in to full on sparring mode with my hand for a good 5 minutes. I had a video but have no idea where it is. 1113101218a.jpg
    This is my 12 year old nephew with his very first grouse last Sunday... 134.jpeg

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Nephew got this drop down...wonder what it would've been in another year or two...Southeast Indiana.
    He's 19...been hunting since about 6. Can't count how many deer he gets every year and how many he has mounted at this point. Of course he hunts everything else...including coyote. He's got pretty cool coyote vids he took with his phone.

[​IMG]

dsmitty37 likes this.
  15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Got this on memorial day weekend, 308 Barnes ttsx 165g at about 125 yds. Savage scout.

Attached Files:

dsmitty37 likes this.
  16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Anybody have any luck this year? We deer hunt starting Thanksgiving weekend. Finally getting some cold weather. Duck hunting has been a bust other than Youth Waterfowl day, when Squirrel got 5 ducks and a goose. Duck hunting this weekend tho, as a storm rolls in.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a 12 point, irregular that visits my front field every day....May just have to get a license this year. Best buck I've seen in a while.

18. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

went out bow hunting for the 1st time sat afternoon. Climbed up in one of my brothers tree stands. Only took about 30 min to get into it. Half the time I was hugging the tree. Don't like heights. Was NOT comfortable. Another 10 min to get the harness around the tree. Shook for another 30 min until I got acclimated to it. Hour and a half later I got the nerve to stand up on it.

BTW it was only 12 feet up. :crackup:

bleacht and V5 Racer like this.
  19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Holy crap, Sally!

20. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I had the chance to pull back on one in archery last week. Damn thing was 25 yards away first thing in the morning. I literally walked in to him and saw him just as I got to my stand. It was tough trying not to get busted still being on the ground and all, but as I started to draw he caught me and bolted. That was the only chance I got and I spent roughly 50 hours in that stand. Gotta wait for rifle season now.