Mini Cooper.....

Discussion in 'General' started by knutz, Dec 19, 2015.

1. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

What's the consensus from the beeb?

I bought my oldest daughter a car as long as she worked and contributed to the upkeep, paid her own gas and kept her grades up.

Now my youngest daughter is getting ready to drive and I'm going to give her the same deal.

Been looking at used minis. It won't be a newer one more than likely a 2004-2006 model as that fits my price range for a cheaper first car.

Plus if I buy in the next little while I get to drive it for 6 or so months till she gets her license.

So what are the pros and cons of these little cars?

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

My sister really likes hers, and says that it rarely gives her any trouble. But, when it does give her trouble it's kind of expensive to get fixed.

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I have three daughters. This works for me: get them 10+ yr old Expeditions for their first cars, then when the inevitable happens, get them a Mazda CX-7 or similar.

4. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

While I own 2 trucks (F250 & a Colorado) I'm not a big truck or SUV fan. There's arguments to be made for both sides of the bigger vehicle debate, but for me the only purpose they serve is to make money (both trucks are work trucks even had a suburban for a work truck for a while).

There's no way living in rural NC with the amount of driving needed daily that an SUV is in anyway economical. Others may disagree and that's fine . I just think they are a waste unless they are making me money.

5. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Suzuki Swift any day over a pretend Mini

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I had a 2006.... Good car but after awhile I can see where the service adds up... I ditched it after driving home from a TD day at Tally... No brakes.. Cracked windsheild and 4 bald tires... Those run flats are not cheap.. Its a adult GoKart.. Fun as hell.. At least the S model is.. Anyhow I would also recommend a Mazda Cx.. I got my daughter a CX 5 and it's been fantastic...

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Kids get hand-me-down cars, if they "get" a car at all. And, get off my lawn! :mad:..........:beer:

slow honda likes this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They're fun but expensive to maintain, and lots of maintenance will be needed on a 9-10 yr old one. Plus lots of stupid things break often like switches, handles, etc.

If you're set on a sporty hatch get a Mazda3. They're fun, look good, and the 2.3l engine is dead nuts reliable with the added bonus of having a timing chain instead of a belt so it's much less likely to need an expensive replacement during its time with you.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, considering that Suzuki didn't sell the swift in the US for almost 2 decades that piece of advice is completely worthless.

Why not tell him that he should get a Fiat Punto, a Holden Astra or any mother trucking Renault made in the last 30 years?

10. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Had a mini and it was good up to about 85,000 miles. At that point, trips to the dealer were quite often and expensive.

11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

They are fun to drive but too many little and expensive problems. Power steering pump failures. Super charger failures. Turbo issues. Weird electrical glitches.
    Very hard on tires due to excessive camber.
    Traction control is very aggressive.
    I had the harmonic balancer separate on ours.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If you don't like your kids, get the "speed" version of the Mazda 3........problem will be solved in less than a week....just kidding.

13. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Another fun little car that is also reliable is the Honda Fit. We accidentally bought a brand new one two (2) weeks ago. The 2016 is reportedly more "boring/grown-up" than the previous generations, but coming from a 2004 minivan, I'm having fun with it, even with the CVT. Obviously a manual would be better, but my wife isn't confident enough with manuals to actually own one. Averaging 35 mpg overall is also nice. If you like the wrinkled jelly bean "styling" it's a bonus.

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Do we know each other?
    Either way pick a different car or be prepared to fix it a lot like everyone else is saying

15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Reliability sucks compared to Mazda, Toyota, Honda.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, what is your price range? We could be yapping that you should buy a Mazda 3, a VW GTI, a Suzuki Swift even though they weren't sold here in decades, a citroen cactus or a bunch of others but if you're looking to spend $2500, the options change.

17. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Dave,

My price range is around $5000 with a max of $7500 if the deal is right. Hell if it's a really good buy and close to 7k I'll drive it and she gets my beater commuter car.

18. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I
    That is how it should be anyways. They get the beater, and you get the update.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hmmm, in that range I wouldn't touch a mini. Going to be older with higher miles and pretty clapped out.

You can also forget Civics. Around here, those in that cash range are "R-typed" or are commuter cars with higher miles and will be sold in minutes to another commuter to throw miles on.

The "bargain" around here for that range is early to mid 2000s 5 series BMWs. You're going to maintain it and put some parts into it but with the inline 6, they have a lot more miles in them. The teens that would be R-typing civics around here are snapping up the 3 series in that year range and fart canning them because they are cheap and the commuters are buying all the civics.

I'd look at Corollas and Mazda 3s. Not exciting but both damn good cars and safe. I look out my door in the parking lot and count at least 8 Corollas were you used to see civics so there has to be something to them. :)

20. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

My buddy who has an independent BMW/Mini repair shop would probably tell you to steer clear of the Mini. He's had a lot of major engine issues on Mini's including his own. He thinks some of the issue is oil starvation going through turns. Fun cars but be prepared to spend some $$$'s. I can try and find out more tonight and post up his thoughts(they'll probably be along the lines of "fuck Mini") lol