1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So What's it Gonna Be (US Roadracing)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Aug 10, 2014.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

2. Hopefully that isnt THE big announcement...because that doesnt really tell us anything. A "program to develop talent" could be anything from a full series, to a Rainey managed Team of hand-picked young guns.

3. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Many US riders SAY they want to be in the world championship. That is their long term goal. However, I have seen WAY too many stop their own careers, and stay where they are. Not making a jump to full time moto 2 or replacement riders for established moto 2 teams. We would have more Americans in the series if the riders who were called, stepped up. Sure they will be at the back of the grid (obviously). Better to be on the grid, somewhere anywhere, in the motogp championship than any other. These are offers with well established teams, small pay check maybe, no paid rides. Unlikely any of these riders will ever get a chance again, the offer is gone and they are looked upon as being foolish. Given the opportunity, I don't see many Americans stepping up. Desire with no follow through = a waste of time.

4. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

The last few pages make me a little sad.

What has happened to people? What has happened to chasing dreams? Is no one willing to risk everything for a minute chance at success? Ya its fuckin scary, ya its expensive and theres a 1% or less chance that a kid will make it but there a ZERO percent chance if you dont try. Money? I make less money a year that some of you spend club racing. Our race budget this year was $6000 more than my annual income last year. I sent out over 3000 emails this winter chasing sponsorship, at my computer until 2 am most nights. It paid off with a new bike and enough money to build it and run a season. You think this shit is going to get handed to you because your kid is fast? Theres a lot of fast kids out there and the ones who succeed have people behind them working their asses off to make it happen. I have to laugh when I hear people talk about following the program, doing it right blah blah blah... hows that working out for everyone? IT ISNT! We arent putting talent out there, we arent developing world class riders and our National Series is in the shitter. It's time to throw convention out the window, its time to shake things up and go for it. Quitting because theres no light at the end of the tunnel? Cool, get out of the way because theres some kids out there who wont stop marching until they find it. Why is MX killing roadracing? PASSION! Those kids will sweat, bleed, break bones and huck theirselves into the ground every day just for a glimmer... an impossible shot at making it. Roadracers? Ahhh its too expensive... ah theirs not enough payback at the end...ah we will never make it... sell the bike lets go fishing. I guess I was raised different and am raising my kids different. Chase your dreams, work your ass off and make it happen. The payback isnt always money, sometimes personal accomplishment, achieving a goal and doing what others wont risk is worth more than money. Actually those things are ALWAYS worth more than money. Giving up a dream over lack of financial compensation? That wasnt ever a dream, it was a career path. They are different.

I doubt you will ever see my kid on the world stage, the chances are far too small to hang my hat on that but as long as he believes he can make it, as long as he has the passion to chase that dream, as long as he puts in the work I'll back him 100%. Never once has he told me he wants to be a Pro so he's rich or gets paid to race... not once. He wants to be a Pro because he wants to win the Championship and prove to himself that he can do it.

5. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I think you are underestimating what a lot of families spend on "stick and ball sports" for their kids. When you start looking at the cost for travel leagues (flying all over the country every other weekend for tournaments) practice time in nice facilities (I'm thinking ice hockey, but also applies for off season training in some other places), gear, more gear, personal trainers, private coaching, etc etc....it is a big expense. As big as motorcycling? Probably not quite, but I bet it's closer than you think. Good example is a kid that my wife's little brother played ice hockey with in high school. They were on the same travel teams, practiced in the same facilities, etc. That other kid was the first ever recruit to a pro team out of south Florida. All through high school he was on the ice every morning from 6 to 7:30 with a private coach. Throw on the cost of all the travel he did, plus the camps every summer...and he is now on one of the farm teams hoping for his shot at the big time.

Similar stories and costs can be found for a lot of sports - travel softball, field hockey, lacrosse, football, etc.

7. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Just heard that the Rainey consortium has bought Jennings and the neighboring 'quiet' farms. The existing track will be repaired, etc and a new course added plus short track (dirt). A maintenance and storage facility with all the bells and whistles. Plus the paddock will be redesigned to accommodate real world size bikes and transports.
    Weather is perfect for a 12 month development and race program. Shuttle available from Valdosta airport. Wera and CCS will support with monthly regional events. Weekday training for young guns will run with pro instructors. By pro I mean MotoGP pros that are familiar with what is needed to compete at that level and will tailor their instruction with that target in mind. A fleet of Moto3esque training bikes will be stored and maintained.
    I'm just getting started hallucinating. Somebody give me a gazillion dollas and I'll make it happen.
    Don't wake me up please.:beer:

8. 418

418 Expert #59

I've got about 10+ years of "Young Guns" RRW at my disposal, looking through it ain't pretty. Only a handful of names ring a bell. Good to push your kids passion but if racing is the only thing they know they might be in trouble down the road when they have to deal with the the real life.

9. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I just don't see anyone creating an entirely independent series; at most a spec class. Dorna wants American riders capable of exciting an audience to drive viewership and attendance. They could do this by identifying and supporting very young talent domestically, then transplanting the cream of the crop to the CEV for more development. I am pretty sure that they will have limited interest in anyone over the age of 16. Just my $.02...keep the change:D

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Smart!!!

My kid still wants to pursue it, but knows the odds are slim to none. Like your son, he also doesn't want to be in his 20's with no income. My daughter is going to college in Texas, she loves it and wanted Tyler to go there as well. We told him he can go off to college, but we can't afford that and racing. Or, he can go to a junior college and still race, to the best of our abilities. He decided he would rather race and go to JC, so that is the current plan.

He has a few racing friends that aren't doing the college route and are just banking on racing, to him, that seems even riskier than racing.

11. :stupid:

I was thinking the same thing when I race across an old Young Guns article myself. There are many of them who were really fast, really talented and on really good bikes...but nowhere to be found today.

Money? Injuries? Change of heart? Wisdom? Failed economy? Girls? Ball sports? Who knows. We are talking about the "cream of the crop" as far as young talent in the US, nowhere to be seen.

I think Kelly nailed it on the head with his "chasing dreams" vs "chasing a career" statement. They are very 2 differnet things. Hopefully at some point they merge into one. But if you have all of your hopes/plans into making a career out of it, with no backup plan or education, you are always one corner away from a potentially ruined life.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Then you get a rider, Josh Herrin, who does step up and a bunch of jerks in America are bashing him, because he didn't do what Ben Spies did in WSBK. I'm still cheering for Josh and want him to get his 2nd year to continue the learning process.

13. TrackStar

Agreed, the difference between Ben and Josh isnt necessarily talent... it's the steps taken.

Ben went from a Superbike to a Superbike.

Josh went from a neutered superbike to a world class 600.

Ben had an advantage there in a big way. Josh, given the chance, will shine.

14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

This sounds like a sensible mix of dreams and reality. My own dreams for my son go beyond the passions of youth. Above all else, I want him to have a happy and fulfilling life. Reaching for the stars is great, but there must be another path to happiness available. In the mean time, we will continue to have fun with our extended racing family. If someone with the resources to make it happen sees something in my boy and gives him a shot, wonderful. If not, we will continue to mix racing with the other good things in our life.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ben also had to race against Mladin and in the same team. That situation hardened Spies to what was coming.

Not saying sharing a team with Hayes didn't prepare Herrin but if you can survive Mladin you can survive damn near anything.

16. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Good post man.:up:

I hope there are more kids like yours out there.

17. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Dave I bet you agree that Mladin could have done some damage in WSB if not won a title or 2.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm basing it on what it cost me to get to that level in my sport. Being 5'11" means I wasn't exactly genetically gifted, but I did it just loving to play and wanting to get better. I didn't even think I was that good when I started getting noticed. Several of my colleagues went on to the NBA, literally dozens made (and a few still make) a living playing overseas. Can the costs be really high? Sure, but the systems are in place that someone without money can bust their ass and make it eventually in other sports. I just don't see that being possible with motorcycle racing. We are still talking a tiny percentage of people though overall. But in other sports the infrastructure is so much better than motorcycle racing in the US I just can't see a comparison.

All just IMHO.

19. TrackStar

:crackup:

Being on a Team with Hayes is probably like having your best friend, favorite uncle and party buddy in the pit next to you. Being on a Team with Mladin was probably more like a prefight weigh in at the UFC.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Purses don't attract the big teams, they follow tv and other things. They have more money to hire riders than any purses could provide so that's where the riders go if they can. Purses while nice, are actually the last thing we're working on sponsors for right now. The money would be better spent on TV time and advertising.