1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So What's it Gonna Be (US Roadracing)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

NASCAR did do something right but they lost their way. Attendance is down and people are switching the channel. They tweaked it too much to appeal to middle america and forgot about mr and mrs ape drape.

Yeah, motorcycle racing could learn a lot to do from NASCAR but they can also learn a lot to not do.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

It's an apples to oranges comparison. Other than green flag means go, white flag means 1 more lap, and the 1st one to take the checkered flag wins, there aren't a lot of similarities.
    If for nothing else, they race damn near every weekend from February to November. When you have that many chances to market your event, you're going to be able to do things with marketing and exposure that simply can't be matched.

3. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

I'm wondering who they might be and how big a check they would have to write?

Lemme guess. DiSalvo and Gagne?

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

As you're closer to this than most everyone else here, do you think part of the problem is that participants from the US haven't fully escaped the 'entitled' mindset? Not that long ago, the concept of bringing money for a quality ride was not only incomprehensible to most, but, was actually looked down upon. At the same time people were giving Chris Clark shit, there were riders in other national series that were EXPECTED to bring personal money for a ride. Granted, they might not have had to foot the whole bill, but, they did have to bring a pretty nice chunk of change and it was up to the riders to go obtain the personal sponsors.

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

If that were true, we would still have that series and business model.

6. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I have been saying that on here for 2 years now dude

7. Chip

Chip Registered

In Europe it is common for a rider to excel in a national series and then his national series sponsors will pony up cash so he can get a ride in an international series to represent that country. Say a German company helping a German rider to market there products in there home market and all over the world.

Example in the US would be American Honda helping Nicky Hayden get a ride on Repsol Honda when he went to MotoGP. American Honda wanted a US rider in the premire class so they could sell Hondas here in the US. Nick still got paid.

In the US it is very unusual for a sponsor to help a rider move to a market that they may or may not be doing business in. The idea that the rider is supposed to dig into his personal pocket to pay six figure deals to ride is a huge barrier to get over.

A strong national series that attracted companies that did business in the US and aboard could change that.

8. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Like said, there are a few of us that dedicate ourselves to our kids futures. Although we don't do any racing on credit. That was a commitment we made as a family years ago and have held firm on it. I'd rather him race on "inferior" but safe equipment that is paid for than having everything and the debt that goes with it.

We do this for fun and life lessons, having everything handed to you isn't the lesson I want him to learn. One day I won't be around to help at all and I don't want him to fail or fall in his face as a result of not learning to be self sufficient.

Beyond the fun and life lessons, if it would happen to turn into more, that is great and would be a dream come true...but realistically, how many of us are living our dreams? I'd rather him be prepared for life rather than setup for failure.

Now, that being said, I want the best for US roadracing and will do everything "in my means" to help grow the sport through helping Draik as described above.

9. ped

ped Banned

idk one of the biggest critics when that started was mladin

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Which is why it is important for our guys to go oversees and succeed.

11. Chip

Chip Registered

Agreed. I was not arguing that point. I was just pointing out the difference in how paid rides happen in Europe and how they happen here.

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:beer:

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

you didnt have much choice OTHER than to say that, Chip, otherwise, you'd have been biting the hand that fed you. And i believe that was discussed here on the bbs at the time of your "interview". :D

14. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The "Asia" market is a combination of something like 8 countries (India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea, China, Taiwan, Middle East, Philipines...possibly more). Something else to consider is that the bikes we do sell in the U.S. typically yield a higher profit margin compared to the small displacement units being sold in Asia.

The U.S. market is still a significant factor when the manufacturers come up with new product but it's a bit more tricky because the numbers are smaller and the profit margin has to be healthy enough to justify the development and build costs of new product.

15. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

I was just showing that the "US" is approx 1.5-2% of the total global sales.

but yes there is quite a difference in what North America purchases in comparison most of the world.

16. ToddClark

keep in mind, in those markets, the majority of those purchasing m/c's are doing so out of necessity, and is their ONLY means of transportation. They're not purchasing them to go ride on the weekends. :up:

17. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Wait wait wait .. are you saying that the folks at the AMA would be so childish as to invoke jumpstart penalties on riders and teams that speak ill will of them? No, that wouldn't happen at all.

-steve

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This is correct. For us it's pure leisure (it's nearly impossible to live on an mc alone). For them, it's necessity.

[​IMG]

19. ToddClark

:crackup: exactly! I can't help but get a chuckle out of some of the things I see posted here.

20. Chip

Chip Registered

I meant what I said...and I was still wrong.

I also defended their actions on here during the 2009 season. I did my best to support the people I was in business with, until I was lied too.

You live and you learn...