1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So What's it Gonna Be (US Roadracing)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

The CEV series doesn't only have moto3 and moto2 classes. There are also 600SS, Superbike (split into factory and privateer), and at some rounds a Kawasaki spec class using Z750s of all things.

CEV does not exist for the sole purpose of grooming future world champions. It is the place, however, where the best talent and teams go to hone their skills in Moto2 and Moto3 for many, many, many reasons. Thus it has become the happy hunting ground for world teams looking for fresh talent.

If an American wants to race in MotoGP one day they need only pay to play for a team already in the CEV. It would be cheaper and far more effective in the long run to go there than try to build a feeder series in the US.

(on a depressing note, before Indy I was talking to a team boss who had an open seat and was looking for possible wild cards to fill it, I asked if he wanted any help finding young US riders and he literally laughed and said, "we already have your superbike champion so no thanks". Not fair, but that's life. They put a Spanish kid on the bike).

No, A US series should be for developing US riders and teams, who are in the US for the long haul. And if a Spies, Hayden, Edwards, Shwantz, or Roberts emerges and takes on the world, well than that's okay too. But it shouldn't be the goal.

2. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

If the CEV wasn't successful at producing the fastest, most successful riders at the top levels of the sport, do you think anyone would be talking about them? Producing top level talent is what gives your series credibility. For companies like Redbull and Repsol they recognize the marketing value and try and attach themselves to these guys early on. Redbull through the rookies cup and Repsol the CEV. Like it or not most companies with the ability to sponsor teams are global players. You need international exposure to see ROI.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Would CEV be even close to what it is if Dorna wasn't based in Spain? I'm guessing no.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Spain has been grooming their racers from the time that the sperm hit the egg.

5. That was exactly my point. :beer:

And the thing is, the latter will be more likely to happen as an end result anyway. If the National series is stronger, it will have more competitive machines on the grid (and deeper into the field), with more competitive riders and more battles...which will ultimately lead to better racers who are more suited for the World Stage.

As far as the first part, no matter what anybody thinks or believes, Herrin is the AMA Superbike Champion, which means he is supposedly the best the US has to offer, and his results (or lack thereof) is hurting others. That has been mentioned on here before but it was either ignored or met with confrontration. But coming from a team boss with an open seat, it simply cannot be ignored or discredited.

It isn't necessarily his fault as far as that is concerned. That is a ton of pressure and expectations to put on anybody. I doubt he went over there with intentions of "representing America's talent". It just kind of worked out that way.

6. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I know for a fact at least two riders (one who rode for me once) that were given the opportunity to step into the moto 2 world championship, on a regular basis, with a VERY good team - as a direct result of GPtech wildcard entries and involvement in the series. There are many pathways to a ride in the motogp championship, but if American riders are not willing to step up when called, what is the point?

7. No you don't, not necessarily. Again, like I said before, there was plenty of ROI and many 6-figure salaries right here in the US/AMA, even as recent as 2008/2009.

Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Ducati were all selling bikes, Monster was selling energy drinks and apparel, Yoshimura, Graves, Attack etc were selling a ton of parts, helmets/gear/gloves/etc were being sold and lots of people were making a lot of money...all right here in the USA.

Here we go again beating a dead horse, but when the series is ran into the ground, there is no TV coverage, there is no solid schedule, no or very weak marketing, the purses are weak and you only have 5-6 races a year...sponsors are going to pull out because there is nothing in it for them.

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Isn't the US the largest single market for most OEMs?

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I'm not "in the know" but I know. Only because I talked to someone "in the know" who asked me not to say anything to anyone that doesn't know. Being a man of my word, I won't say a word. Ya know?

:D

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You know how I know you're gay?

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For numbers, probably so. For ROI on racing, probably not.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Because you saw him look up when you paid him $200 to bob on your knob?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In addition to being a cheater, MB is also a bit of a c**t, so I'm not surprised he would make a remark like that about Herrin.
    That said, they didn't just put "a" Spanish kid on the bike. I can't think of anyone currently in the US who would have made a better choice than Navarro. You're not going to put a guy like Beaubier on a Moto3 bike. :)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dorna has no say in any of that. FIM bylaws state one sanction per country, AMA contract with DMG has it with them.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I'm not sure if Dave K was defending me or insulting me...:confused:

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No matter what rumors are flying around we are moving forward with WERA Pro Series and television for it for 2015. The TV contract is done, financial backing is getting closer.

It won't be DMG. It will be fun. It will be us working with the teams and sponsors to put on a show that will benefit everyone.

18. :clap:

:rock:

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

What is?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Asia - India, Thailand, places like that. Mainly small bikes but a crapload of em.