Foreign films.....

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Dec 14, 2013.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Do you guys bother giving them a try much?

If yes, which ones and rate'em for us!

I was bored last night so I started surfing Netflix and clicked on one (Special Forces) that I didn't realize was a French film until it started playing it.

It wasn't half bad at all, I clicked on it not thinking I'd watch it for long, next thing I know the credits started rolling. It may have had something to do with the female actress tho....def 2x. :D

What about you hooligans?

2. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Last one I watched was the English Patient. Maybe one of the worste things I have ever sat through. :down:

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Ghost of Liberace just called and said "you're ghey!" :D

and a Hipster.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My little sister used to be all into Bollywood movies back in the day. I think it was just a phase though. I'd pass through the room every once in a while like "WTF is this that you're watching?!"

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Foreign films are great. IFC and Sundance channel show some great ones.

I hate to break it to everyone, but a lot of the shows and movies we see originated in another country.

The Japanese and Scandinavians push the boundaries way more than our filmmakers.

One example: The Magnificent Seven was a remake of a Japanese movie.

6. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

I digs em....
    If you haven't seem "The Intouchables" you're missing a great film.
    Don't think there would be anyone on this board that wouldn't enjoy it.
    Y'all could relate.. :)

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sundance and IFC are two of my favs. I DVR a lot of shows, often I find a gem.

8. If you only watch Hollywood dreck, you're really missing out. Lots of really awesome movies are made elsewhere.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I have to read subtitles I'd rather read the book the flick is based on.

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    I'm not reading a movie either.

11. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Werner Herzog FTW!!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the other hand - if I understood the language it was in I'm all for watching the movie. The language isn't the issue but film is a visual thing, if I'm busy reading I'm no longer watching so no point.

13. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

But you miss out on the subtleties and nuance of a French woman when she says "vous"
    And no, your response should not be along the lines of DeNiro in Taxi Driver... :)

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Never saw Apocalypto? You're missing out. :D

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The Dragon Tattoo trilogy in Swedish is on par with Breaking Bad.

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Watch Jiro Dream of Sushi on Netflix. Awesome foreign movie. Otherwise I haven't watched many foreign films on Netflix unless you count the UK and Ireland as foreign

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Great film....I smiled and laughed constantly. Really a superb film with great acting.

18. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

Nothing like reading a good movie. I prefer the Swedish to the American. Way more believable? If you have the inclination, Fellini's Amercord is good and one of my favorite foreign films is Amelie. Amelie is a good date night flick if your significant other likes reading movies.

Gordon

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I will often watch "Foreign" movies, subtitles don't bother me, there's been some great ones too. The problem I have is that they often end up as dreadful Hollywood remakes, two that instantly spring to mind:

The Vanishing (Dutch/French) with a truly terrifying ending and Nikita (French).

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Do Kung Fu movies count? How bout Japanime?