1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AMA class structure and rules package

Discussion in 'General' started by dean dufrene, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

or, and this is speculation on my part ya know, someone with the power to do so could change it every few days.

2. earacing

earacing Race Dad

I have to chuckle at the irony of an IT guy who can't find his password. Come on dude, don't let them do you like that. Hack your way in if you have to! You work for Microsoft for god's sake! :D

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:crackup:

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I have freshman (beginner/novice/entry level:D) students like this every year. They seem to crave attention so badly they don't really care what kind of attention they get. Usually by the time they are 15 or 16 (sophomore/junior) they start figure out the difference and smarten up.

However, this doesn't ALWAYS happen...apparently.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Is alt, control, delete really hacking?

7. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

One can only hope and pray that the AMA delivers on this "entry level lightweight" class.

The bike of choice is a whole other problem. The ninja 250 is a great platform for the armature club racer but for "Pro" usage I feel it's not the right bike. Something along the lines of the CBR 500 or even a 650 V-Twin class is more appropriate for those at that level, or any bike that makes around 60- 75hp for that matter. Tight Supersport rule structure with spec tire and allotments of 2 sets per race weekend will keep costs down.

Having a class where experienced racers can participate at a "Pro" level and not have to wrestle and finance a 600cc machine is awesome and what we need. With the lack of structure here in America it will help develop our riders and make for better racing and competition at the primer levels rather than bankrupt and force them out of the sport with heads hung low.....

Only down side I see here is the age restrictions DMG has in place. This needs to be available to our riders earlier in their carriers to prevent a plateau and subsequently a loss of interest or growth that will fuel them to the next level. I feel the appropriate age is 14-15 but from what I hear DMG is not flexible with their 16 minimum and there for this class will never develop and do what it's doing all over the world, producing great young racers ready and hungry to climb the ladder.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly I don't even think a 650 twin is the right bike, it should be a linear progression below a 600 - but I'm not sure what that is.... A real Moto3 machine maybe. Moto2 with some limits even. But it should be a linear progression from the entry level to mid level DSB to Superbike.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Too bad the oem's don't make hot little 400s like they used to.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd go for something relatively cheap to buy, relatively cheap to run, that teaches race craft and that you can run in club racing and flip when it is time to move up. Also need to make them look and sound cool to the average fan and looks different than the bikes in the other classes.

Please, No converted dirty bikes.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There is no entry level in professional racing. :Poke:

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You are not sure?

Dude.

Take a position. I would recommend Moto3 class with stock engines.

But I am stoopid.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How much does a moto3 chassis go for (sans engine)?

14. caferace

caferace No.

A lot more than a cheapskate like you will dole out. :D

-jim

15. Moto 3 is where it needs to be to develop here and transition no matter which continent you go to. Check the specs of the Moriwaki to a current Moto GP bike.very close and a dare I say it.... a proper chassis. they don't all have to be Honda powered. My next pick is the new KTM 390. It doesn't have to be the pricey CUP bike or capped at 390, why not 450 or even 500cc? KTM could offer up a race kit. IMHO the current path of a 250 to the SV not the way to go. At least for us.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
  16. MAZZ77X

The Moto 3 route is to costly and rider specific to work here in America and with our current economy. Add in the current age restrictions and it even further removes the Moto 3 type bike from the equation.
    It has to be a bike that's readily available and can suit riders of varying size and skill.
    The SV is a great bike and also the next logical step when coming off the GP and 250's as it stands here in America right now. Is it the best fit............

With this potential class there is a chance to refine that step and right now the CBR 500 is the best production machine to do the job and I'm sure the other manufactures will follow suit soon given the Hondas success! This class could benefit greatly from what is being displayed in World Superbike with the EJC. Proven and working so why not just adapt it here in the states....... No time to reinvent the wheel!

17. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Proper gp spec you will spend $60,000 + (FTR, Suter, etc). Honda engine needs servicing often and is expensive. GP spec Electronics cost around $14,000. Moriwaki is very similar chassis to a Honda rs125. GPtech make a 250 yamaha powered moto 3 bike (lower spec than world level and on par with moriwaki) - around $15000. Very difficult to get pricing below $11000.

18. g maloney

Tigcraft want 4,500 British pounds for a frame only

19. g maloney

Beon want around $15,000 for a chassis only

20. MAZZ77X

CBR 500 5K new from Honda and throw another 3-5 K at it for race trim and you have a brand new dealer available race bike for under 10K. Factor in the spec tire and allotment of 2 sets per race weekend and your racing for about 1k per weekend plus travel and amenities.

Keep it simple and it will work!