Car advice - B5 Audi S4 or E36 M3

Discussion in 'General' started by Prolog, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Prolog

Prolog Cantstandya

I come to the horny sandwich bbs to get some almighty info on my purchase debate. I am really seeking a new (used) vehicle, I am debating on a 01-02 S4 or a E36 M3. I don't know much about the S4's problems except the turbo and turbo component issues, suspension wear, pulling the motor for pretty much anything, etc..
    I am very familiar with the E30-46 3 series and I totally dig them. But the 2.7 bi turbo is growing on me by the day after being in a buddys stage 3 one.
    The 4.2 ones I don't have much interest in and besides they are out of my price range along with the E46. I could use all the information I can get and my budget is around $9k.
    Thanks

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What transmission are in each?

I don't know, you're going back pretty far to keep within your budget and might be facing some serious head aches. Sounds like you want a heart attack fun car but what else do you NEED in the car?

4. Prolog

Prolog Cantstandya

Manual trans on either! Yeah, I figured finding an older M3 or S4 that has not been beat to shit is going to be tough. I have no specific purpose really, I have had a Jeep Cherokee long enough. I just want to add a few ponies down the road. I'm single (back on the market) with no kids I'm not really into the Evo or Wrx thing. I just want a little fun here and there..........

5. Prolog

Prolog Cantstandya

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you already have a car that you can drive while your toy is puking oil or the windows have fallen down into the door then I say go for it. If it's going to be your only car, look at something else.

Of those two and only those two I'd go with the S4. I'm a whore for VW/ Audi and I HATE the E36 BMW body style.

7. Prolog

Prolog Cantstandya

Yeah I know, I feel if I get the E36 I'm going to get mad and drive it off a bridge or purposely into a tree at some point. Do you know of any major flaws with the Audi?
    I'm trying my best to convince myself the thing is not a money pit.
    I still have my jeep...

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

With a Audi All of its flaws are major.

You'd be better off buying a 1973 Vega that was abused by a HighScool autoshop class for twenty years than giving real money for a used Audi.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Seriously.... I had a friend who had the Audi for a couple of years. After he replaced the turbos he decided to sell it. Was a very nice car on the inside and fast as hell when it wasn't broken down. He now drives a diesel VW, Jetta TDI, and loves it! I have to admit it's every bit as nice as the Audi, a lot cheaper, better gas mileage, but not as zippy.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: I also was thinking why not just get a used Vega :crackup:

11. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The M3 will have issues with the sub-frame and all kinds of annoying suspension stuff. However the motor is pretty DIY friendly.

The Audi will have issues with everything else, but at least the chassis won't fall apart. Pick your poison. I personally vote M3 though. If you can find an enthusiast owned one, the suspension and chassis crap is usually taken care of. They are a hoot to drive.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I owned a E36 when they came out. I was hesitant to buy it because of BMW reliability issues. We actually had no problems with it, but only owned it for about 2 years. I don't know how it compares to later M3's or the Audi, but I think the problems on them are well documented and I loved the way it handled.

I agree they don't look that great. I remember owning a Honda Civic coupe at the same time and sending pictures to my dad. He said, you got ripped off, that Honda looks way better then the BMW. LOLOL

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Having dealt with two E36's (still have one) I would never recommend it to anyone. ALWAYS something going wrong. These aren't M3's but I can just imagine that the M's screw up even more. I have been a member of bimmerforums for a few years and the only guys bragging about their's do all the work themselves.

I know you're a single guy looking for chick's so this might be totally against the grain, but.....my toy car is a 96 Miata M version with the LSD and if you can get over the ghey factor, the thing is an absolute blast to throw around and costs zero money to upkeep regardless of how hard I thrash it. I try to mess it up and it just keeps going. But I'm married mid-50's so I don't give a crap what anybody else thinks!

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

m3 all day. They are easy to work on.

15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

I have a Audi 2.7 twin turbo for a Driver and E36 M for the track, The Audi's are good when sorted, buy it cheap, expect some money (Allot) to sort it out. your in Va. ck these guys out; see Dave http://www.ngpracing.com/home/
    Otherwise the M's are easy to work on,have tons of aftermarket shit and are dead nutts reliable.

16. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike Well-Known Member

My '71 Vega ate 3 engines before GM bought it back. Compared to that POS, my 5 Audis have been as reliable as a rock. It's true that Audis aren't as trouble-free as your average Toyota (which I've also owned lots of), but I've only been stranded once (plugged cat on a 175k mile 100). However, my Audi guy (everybody with an Audi needs an Audi guy) says to avoid the 2.7 because of turbo and seal failure issues.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That 2.7 engine is just such a riot when you pair it with a manual. Yeah, it'll suck every dollar out of your wallet but it is just such a great engine.

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Are you married to choosing between those two cars, or just to the $9k budget?

Are you open to spending $6k on the car and $3k in upgrades?

My thoughts immediately turn to 300ZX's of the mid 90's, or the Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT (the turbo AWD models).

19. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

M3 for sure! Those turbo audis tend to have issues and suck to work on. I currently drive a 98 m3 sedan 5 spd in techno violett. 163k daily driver. Only thing to check is the cooling stuff (impeller,expansion,rad) and the guibo. E36 is usually dead reliable.

20. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

I currently have a B5, 1 prior owner had the car since new. I have had the car ~ yr.

I have had a S4 B6, as well as, a M5 e39, and M3 e46. I can't comment on the e36 M3.

No motor problems with the B6, e39, or e46.

The e46 was the best handling. My B5 is stock and probably one of the cleanest around.
    The stock handling is a little loose with rear body roll. I am considering replacing the K03. Most shops saw they can go at anytime, mine have >100K and seem fine.

It looks like a stage 3 kit may run ~4K and labor ~2K. This doesn't include larger intercoolers or or exhaust.

I am not too worried about being stranded with the B5 as I was with my turbo cayenne. Any german can will have more expensive repairs than a domestic or japanese.

I'd choose the B5 just because you can make it >500hp pretty easily, though, it might be hard to find one that is clean. The e36 likely handles better, no fear of turbo failure, but will never have the potential of the B5.