1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best helmet you've ever worn?

Discussion in 'General' started by trancework, Oct 8, 2013.

1. hdrk2006

hdrk2006 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I was going to ask what all the Spec1R lovers are wearing now. :beer:

2. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

I bought a bell and regret it every time I put it on :down:

Wish I woulda went with the xlite 802 ......

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Shoei X-11, fits like a glove. My Bell Vortex sucks, mostly because I ordered a Medium because my Shoei is a Medium, but also because there isn't much padding around the ear area. I tried on a small Bell Star last week, fit just like my Shoei.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I always wished I could get the X9 ~ X12 to fit. I love those lids but it's like putting a square box on my head.

When my stash of Suomys are gone I'll probably go back to Arai, who knows.

Edit: I will need a dirty bike lid soon.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What the heck is that? Never heard of Nitek.

6. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

I wondered the same thing at first and pics make them "look cheap" but after actually looking at one up close before and after a buddy got his head run over it seems to be a decent lid

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I really like my current Shoei RF1100. Only annoying thing is I can't use all 4 top exhaust vents. The front two, specificly the one on the left, cause the wind noise to ratchet up amazingly high. With the rest of the vents open it's still pretty nice. With a Pinlock visor it's near perfect.

I was really impressed with the Roof R010 full face I had years, and years ago. Vented pretty good, looked fighter pilot cool, and I had to work really hard to even start to fog that shield. Shame the company kinda crashed and burned with their factory.

8. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Lots of companies make helmets, really nice helmets. Getting parts for those helmets seem to be where most companies lack.

That's why I pick a brand that's been around the block a few times.

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

KBC and Fulmer for me.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While we're on the subject - lots of cheap helmets out there showing up to tech with no Snell/ECU/BCI etc... Just DOT certification, those aren't going to cut it. Make sure you get one that meets the specs for a race helmet before grabbing some oddball brand from Cycle Gear or whoever.

11. dtalbott

And check the date of manufacture inside the helmet. Just because you just bought it new doesn't mean anything.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very good point.

13. dtalbott

Got bit by that one with a brand new KBC I had at VIR.

14. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

Arai Quantum II for me.

On another helmet note, my wife is looking at the new Shoei GT Air. I believe that it is NOT Snell certified... only DOT. I was thinking that this must be some little idiosyncrasy or something along those lines but was wondering what people though on that. Maybe it's the interior flip down visor? I'm sure it's a good lid though.

15. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

All you people saying Suomy helmets are the best you ever worn must be smokin some good shit, I've owned a spec1r and the apex, both were absolutely horrible (noisy, interior sucked, visor was thin, flimsy, and fogged like crazy). The new Shark Race Pro makes Suomy helmets (and most other helmets) look like a walmart dirt bike helmet. Seriously it IS the best helmet I've ever worn, and I've tried them all (Shoei X-12, Arai Corsair V, AGV, Bell, etc.). My only complaint about the Shark is that its only available in 2 shell sizes, so fitment isn't as good as the Shoei's.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  16. ducatista01

ducatista01 Active Member

Nexx, after buying the carbon one I'll never go back to Bell, Arai, Shoei, Vemar. They all seem like heavy junk compared to the Nexx.

After seeing mine a few of my friends bought the regular tri composite Nexx and they say they will never go back as well.

I crashed the crap out of the carbon one and think its the best lid for protection I have ever crashed in. But thats kinda hard to know for sure.

17. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

Bell Star has been my favorite so far

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

HJC RPS10 & a brand new backup good til 2015.
    Would like to try a Shark.