1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey AMA Your Jump Start Rule is STUPID.

Discussion in 'General' started by Britt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

They got stop and go?

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Moto gp is ride thru.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

.. and if not mistaken, you can move as long as you stay within the box ? That was the "difference" i was pointing out. A ride through or stop/go is potentially MORE penalizing than 5 seconds, but you have to royally muck it up to step outside the box. Thus more fair, and the penalty actually fits the infraction (in my opinion).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep. Hopefully DMG goes back to this for next year.

5. MELK-MAN

agreed. And pretty sure this is in part, what started this thread off in the first place.

6. caferace

caferace No.

Mike Web and Co. (MotoGP Race Direction) are very wisely discretionary. No advantage? No penalty.

-jim

7. MELK-MAN

.. and thus potentially the "right way" of doing things, and all most posting in regard to the ama/dmg rule being "stupid" are saying :)

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am on record on the BBS for saying multiple times that it's dumb to have a rule that penalizes someone doesn't gain an advantage. But what's on the books must be enforced.

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

:up::up:

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I Started this as my OPINION...that it SHOULD BE CHANGED..not because of ONE Racer...or The Other...but because what I Saw made ZERO Sense in a 23Lap RoadRace.

I am sure that most who look at it with an open mind and know anything about "Racing" could understand that, saying "It is a rule" or "Everyone else didn't move"..blah blah blah, is NOT what this thread was started for.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree but that's not the rule. Kind of agree with Britts thread title, torn on the whole enforcement of the rule.

12. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

the fim rules which govern moto gp and sbk give you a ride thru penalty which takes you out of the race . Ama gives you a 5 sec penalty which still gives you a chance.

The fim leaves it up to the discretion of race control.

Ama penalizes any movement forward , not sideways or up and down.

A bunch of you sound like little whiny bitches , if josh wouldn't have had any mechanicals or crashes yes it would be a bunch of points in the lead.

Sometimes luck doesn't go a riders way.

If josh jr wins the championship he deserves it no freaking asterick.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

However, we don't have high speed cameras on every rider and looking for any tiniest movement - we use humans and if there is any doubt side with the rider. We realize that no matter what standing on the side of the track we're not able to pay as close attention as a racer ready to take the green is to any movement of the starter.

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I question this.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Discretion can actually be used properly and have most everyone in the race/paddock/wherever understand and agree with it. We do it every so often but we abide by one of the very first things in our rules as the absolute mandate - "WERA policies, rules and class formulas have been formulated with fair and equal competition as our goal. While WERA welcomes participation by contingency program and race team sponsors, WERA management is independent and makes decisions based on fairness for all and the well-being of our sport."

That is the first thing we think about whenever we have to enforce a discretionary rule.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which is why I love the one official per row thing :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not joking - someone would bitch about rider so and so starting to run early :crackup:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even JU wasn't happy when the officials were examining pixels looking to enforce the rules "equally" Granted they didn't look for that from every single rider :D

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

For grinding efficiency, I suppose. No idea, really. We (the field) had a crash on the warm up in AMA SS at NJMP and the radios (and grid peeps) were very helpful. If we weren't plugged into the radios, I'd have guessed the grid folks made the calls on jumps.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd bet they do, just have to find their version of the BBS.