1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Me On Boats!

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Omar174

Omar174 Well-Known Member

Not good at all. You'll get the crap beat out of you in rough water. I don't go out if its too rough so its not an issue for me.

2. Pure Sportbikes

Pure Sportbikes www.puresportbikes.com

I can't stand when people say this. My dad had owned numerous outboard boats his whole life, and always said this as well - however, he had never owned an I/O boat. I was raised on the water, both on his boats and other friends I/O and inboard ski boats.

Personally, having gone from old outboard motor fishing and ski boats, to I/O runabouts, to currently being on my 2nd inboard V-drive wake boat - I can say that I have NO DESIRE to go back to an outboard - unless I'm going to own a small duck hunting boat or a pure fishing boat. My inboard wake boat goes 0-45mph in a few seconds, it seats 15+ people, zero turn radius - can sit in idle and spin in place on the water (can't do this with an outboard), and will throw a massive wake!

Freedom of being able to lounge on the back on the boat in a I/O is great. For a family boat, where loading an unloading quite a bit, an I/O will be nicer. Climbing up the back of the boat is nicer. Typically an I/O will plane faster than an outboard (while it may be minimal it is important to some people if they plan to tube or ski/wakeboard). If you take care of your engine and outdrive, maintenance on an I/O is not much more than an outboard.

It all depends on what you want to do with your boat.

Fishing - Outboard
    Ski/Tubing/Family - I/O
    Wakeboard/Wakesurf - Inboard

If you're looking for a nice family ski boat, look at a Four Winn's, SeaRay, Tahoe, Bayliner, Rinker etc. Stay 18'+ for a decent rough water ride - though none is going to be like a deep V wake boat. Look no older than 10 years at a used boat, look for low hours <300, and fresh water use. A 3.0 4 cylinder will cruise nicely even in a 18' boat and a tank of gas will last ALL weekend. Upgrade to a V6 for a larger boat and still have plenty of power, and a V8 will eat your wallet (but is a must if you have a wake boat).

If you're looking for a wake boat, there are ton's of deals on entry level wake boats. Direct drive Malibu's, Centurions, Nautiques, and Moomba's can be had for $10-15K.

Personally, I love surfing behind my inboard loaded with 3000# of automated ballast. Can't do that behind an outboard or I/O =)

[​IMG]

3. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Like everything else in your post, that's such a tiny niche I doubt the op cares.

You know, I love to cruise right along the bottom of the ocean in my nuclear submarine. Can't do that with an outboard either.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We just bought our first i/o and it kinda sucks compared to our old o/b. There's just no room in it, which kinda has something to do with having the engine inside the boat. Brilliant idea. And the maintenance requirements in comparison do not favor the i/o or inboard. We do almost nothing to our outboards and they're stored for seven months, much of it in below zero weather. We've spent a couple of hundred bucks combined on our outboards in the last ten years. We will eclipse that with the i/o each year.

I would love a 19', open bow, fiberglass boat with a Honda, Yamaha, or Mercury on the back but they are nearly non-existent.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  4. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Not being a smart ass, but how is the i/o going to cost that much more for maintenance?

5. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

One example is having to replace your manifolds and risers for your I/O every 3-5 years in salt water @ ~$800 if you do it yourself or ~$1200+ at a dealer, varies for motors and OEM or aftermarket parts.

Not to mention trying to work on an I/O or outdrive is a PITA vs working on an outboard that's hanging off the back out in the open.

Plus you have bellows, gimble bearings /rings, u joints, bilge blowers, drive belt and the list goes on of stuff that wears out, breaks, needs inspecting...

I'm sorry but after owning one I now hate I/O's and wish I would have listened to people when they told me to buy an outboard, but I wanted the easy access, swim platform, places for chicks to lay out etc.

If anyone here would like to trade me their newer 4 Stroke outboard CC for my I/O bowrider PLEASE pm me. Lol

Dealers here won't even take my I/O in on trade for a CC, nobody here wants I/O's.

I love boating, but maintenance and reliability are directly related to your level of enjoyment.

I wish I had bought a 21' CC with a 4 stroke 150 and snap out vinyl, with a step in console / porta potty for the women.

6. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

And there's all of the little things like hoses, belts, power steering, impeller, etc, etc. Not to mention it is more difficult to get at the service items in an inboard/outboard. Every year it costs about $175 to get an engine properly winterized too.

Also, you can't raise the entire lower unit out of saltwater like you can an outboard.

Another big disadvantage is the extra weight of an i/o.

There are certainly positives to the i/o as well. You can have an acre size swim platform on the back. You get a sun pad above the motor. Most i/o's are quieter. The power unit can be replaced a bit easier without the drive unit. Many people think a boat looks better with an i/o or inboard.

7. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Winterization alone.

8. ACDNate

You all are talking about when things break like

not maintenance. Not a whole lot of I/O's around here but the only people I've ever talked to that said anything negative about them, didn't actually own one.

9. ACDNate

Costs to winterize? Are you talking about having a shop do it?

Ah you're talking about leaving it in the water instead of trailering it. That would certainly change things. I was refering more to trailering it out of water when not in use.

10. Triple Nickel

I own one, do you?

You asked, I answered.

11. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Ya, I'd call it maintenance. And yes, the winterization I spoke of would be done by a shop.

A lot of this is kind of moot as many of the small pleasure boats now are strictly i/o, and that's fine.

12. Triple Nickel

Manifolds and riser replacement is maintenance, if they break it is too late and you need a new motor.

The rest of that stuff just seems to always wear out, it's always something. Call it maintenance or call it replacing broken parts but you just have to trust me there's just always something that needs attention with an I/O.

To be fair, I'm talking about new four stroke Yamaha or Suzuki's being much better than I/O's for example. I'm not talking about old outboards or two-stroke outboards.

13. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Most stuff has been covered, but here's some advice from a boat-nut who's had every type of boat imaginable. I'm on #13 as of now, and it's a blast.

1. You'll rarely wish for a smaller boat. I wouldn't start under 21 ft regardless of your family of 4.

2. Maintenance is all relative, but the newer outboards are as good, if not better than inboards. I would stay away from an older 2-stroke engine if possible, but realize that they are much cheaper for entry-level boaters. If you're willing to tinker with it then give it a shot.

3. Get a trailer with brakes... no matter the size of boat.

4. I/O drives are the most common these days, and you'll need something at a 4.3 size or larger to make it worth your while. The 3.0's are too small for almost anything.

5. Don't buy a bayliner or tahoe

6. You'll use it half the time you plan on, so account for storage before you buy.

7. Don't use ethanol fuel regardless of what you purchase.. it will bite you at some point.

8. Take a freaking safety course, and learn to drive the boat on slow days. Don't assume anything... you may kill someone.

9. Call me with questions... I've run almost every brand, sold half of them, and complained about all of them.

Here's the latest toy... she's been to the Keys, Bahamas and lives on Lanier. It's been a blast, and my wife and I love spending time with friends and family on it.

The downside is that I'm picking it up from the marina tomorrow to the tune of $2300. for it's annual service work and some odds and ends.

Fun costs.

Attached Files:

14. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I've seen Sylvans and Glastrons at a decent price, all ~ 10 years old. Thoughts?

And pontoon boats... I could get my whole family on one of those at a decent price, but are they good for anything else other than people and maybe fishing?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  15. Lars77

Lars77 Member

One and a half years ago I sold all my dirt and street bikes. Got a nice boat and travel trailer. I just sold the boat and trailer and bought a new s1000rr. I call it a win.

Seriously though..... When you want to go out on a boat or trailer visit craigslist and pick the nicest rental you can find. Pay the money, enjoy your time and then give back.... You'll be money ahead. The wife and i used to stare at the trailer and create situations to use it. Total headache, now when the situation presents it self we drop 100 per day to go have some fun, 300-500 plus gas for a killer boat.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  16. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

I have an inboard V drive Mastercraft and it can't do "zero turn". It's a 1999 model I bought new and love the boat but was wondering if the new ones have a design feature that allows the zero turn you're talking about. Trying to maneuver in reverse is a pain if there is a little wind.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Out drive......

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The 190's can...:up:

19. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Mine is a 210. Won't do it or at least I can't make it do it. Just wondering if it's a V drive thing.

20. ACDNate

Just trying to wrap my head around it...