School Me On Boats!

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Can't do the waterfront home, but I'm within an hour of eleventy hundred lakes, and the Brazos river. Great pic by the way. :up:

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The best boats, are your friends boats. My best buddy just bought one too! :clap:

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

My Crew....
    [​IMG]

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Barefoot boom, me likey!!!

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That Boom is a Blast..Many Winters ago.....
    [​IMG]

I prefer Long Line But its easy to just jump out of the boat at Speed and have some fun...
    I footed last Fall and my Left Shoulder hasnt been the same since... Getting Old Sucks!

6. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

:stupid::crackup::crackup:

7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Some depends on what you buy.

If you can swing it, the Yamaha boats are very reliable and trouble free.

That`s from what I`ve read and seen . (Have three freinds that own them).

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Have a friend that's gone through at least three of the Yamahas.

His favorite past time is burying the bow when "new" passengers are embarked. :D

9. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

As a boat owner, former multiple Ducati owner and current R6 owner, I'll try to put boating / engine maintenance for salt water use in perspective for fellow riders:

Owning my I/O Mercruiser 4.3l that is used exclusively in salt water vs owning a Yamaha F150 4 stroke would be like owning my previous Ducati's vs my current R6.

Both have required maintenance but the I/O ( engine and outdrive ) are typically more maintenance intensive, more expensive to both maintain and fix ( Ducati ) than a Yamaha F150 4 stroke outboard ( R6 )

So, for saltwater use get a 4 Stroke outboard ( Yamaha or Suzuki )

I'm selling my I/O Bowrider and getting a CC / Yamaha F150 outboard because I learned the hard way.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  10. MrOneNut

MrOneNut Well-Known Member

Have a 197 Sportfish and am on the bay or out in the Gulf most weekends. If you are having a family on board, a head is a definite huge plus. In hull waste tanks are nice but normally require a bit bigger hull than what you are looking for. Would recommend the self contained unit for you. Little more hassle on the maintenance, but much cheaper and get's the job done.

As for what you are looking for, I went with the fish first, people second. I have a ski tow bar and can pull a skier or wakeboarder decently well. In regards to motors, I love outboards. My Yamaha F150, 4 stroke out board is a dream. Not having to use muffs any more to flush... even better.

My main concern was cost to, so I went with a paired down center console. More flash and bling = more to break and pay for in my book. Fiberglass is great material but does need a polish and a little care. Buy a good cover, this will help with spending more time on the water and less cleaning. I love my boat and it hasn't replaced racing for sure, but chasing Cobia and handing at Crab Island isn't bad!!!!!

Best of luck and don't forget to get a decent trailer. Aluminum is a must for saltwater, but make sure the bunks are good and supportive to avoid hull damage. Also check the bearings, brakes and bolts.

In regards to maintenance, I feel you get back what you put into it. Boats always need a little TLC, but if you stay up on it I don't think maintenance is bad at all. Definitely a lot less than when I highside on the track! The motor will need hour interval servicing, but as long as you are flushing it with fresh water and not running over debris and sand bars, I can tell you a Yamaha will last. I see more of their outboards on the water than anything. Simple boat = simple maintenance.

Best of luck and if you make down to Destin/Fort Walton Beach. Let me know, we can put the boats in and I can show you some fishing spots and places to tube and chill!

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Outboards also leave you with a much larger cockpit and much less fire hazard as well.

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:D

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

But are a much greater Hazzard for swiming and skiing...

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Compared to straight inboards, maybe, I/O's not at all.

15. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

Cool :up:

Private lake I grew up skiing on hosted Worlds a couple years ago. Crazy how hardcore some of those guys are

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Have you considered something like this: https://sailtime.com/?gclid=CLPi3u_i1LYCFWQ6QgodozAAuw ?

it's basically a timeshare on a boat or small fleet of boats.

The pros are obvious:

- monthly fees rather than a lump-sum payment or interest-bearing loan
    - maintenance isn't your problem
    - docking/marina fees aren't your problem
    - you want out, you're out. No boat to sell (although you may have to sell your 'share' in some cases)
    - no tow-vehicle required
    - in some cases, you can choose from multiple models. So if you're bringing the neighbors, you can grab a pontoon boat one weekend, and then get the 6 person ski boat when it's just your family.

Cons are just as obvious:
    - can't pick out exactly what you want
    - nothing to sell when/if you want out
    - somewhat limited access
    - can get expensive if you do it for a long time

Still a better option than owning, unless you're really going to be out on the boat every weekend.

A friend of mine was within inches of buying a boat. He put in a pool instead. Best decision ever. He uses the pool waaaaaaay more than he could ever have hoped to use a boat.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  17. matt221

matt221 Active Member

if it floats, flys or fu*ks

it is way cheeper to rent it

Seriously I am a liscensed Captian and own several boats, I do not charter fish anymore but I do guide hunters in the winter and have spent thousands of hours on boats from 16' aluminum fishing boats to 65' sportfishing yaughts

Buy an outboard never an I/O

Really think about the maintance of the boat and trailer before you buy, what Povel said in post 30 is good advice

also post #49 and #50

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Camping out and boating will give your kids a great time and memories
    said in a tom selleck voice

19. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

How does that handle rough water? Wife and I had peeked at those and the Yamaha deck type boats before. Word had it the Yamaha's didn't like much chop.

20. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

??? Does it have a direct hose connection?