1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Latest on TC in AMA SBK

Discussion in 'General' started by 2OLD2SLOW, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Hypnotiq

Hypnotiq Well-Known Member

This is the kind of shit that annoys me.

Part 8.
    http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=48943

I can't completely knock him because he is saying Josh is a damn good rider (more like amazing, but ok). But then goes on to say that if he had the crew he could get the first 1.5 sec and if he had maybe the wheels and brakes, he'd get the other 1.5.

Although, even the riders who have the crew, the bike, and the brakes and the wheels are already 1+ second behind Josh.

That last 1-1.5 second, I know what it is. And its not anything you can buy, no matter how much $ you have...it's called talent!

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Hey he also says, "my ability needs to go up a bit." Cut the guy some slack. He's not used to being interviewed by a reporter with a digital recorder.

And he hasn't been to PR school!

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

So unless you are able to remove the memory which contains the ecu code and then do a comparision on that memory with an external device this won't work.

This is because in every case the ECU has to run some code to "give up" its code. So when you are cheating when this request comes in, the ECU simply returns what is expected, some "known" set of code. So then when a comparision of this and what is expected is done it passes. Yet behind the scenes it is actually running different code. You can flash this different code by giving the ECU a special code when doing the flash that this is special code and to handle it in a particular manner.

This is where the data logger that Chip talks about comes into play. It actually doesn't care what the ECU has in it. It monitors things like TPS, fuel, spark, rpm, wheel speed sensors (if the bike has it), etc. Then you can develop algorithms that look at let's say fuel data and see if it jives to what is going on with the bike.

So if for example the TPS shows that the rider has it pinned but suddenly the spark is retarded or just is missing completely, what do you think just happened? And if the street ECU doesn't have TC as one of its published functions then there must be some cheating going on. Now this doesn't catch the flash of a better TC routine so you can see how this gets difficult quickly.

The presumption with the data logger setup is that these algorithms are already developed and people generally know how to look for cheating.

4. John29

And to answer the question I already got asked today, he was included because the series gathered the opinions of every team that has put a guy in the top 10 in a race YTD. Except the one that keeps stalling and doesn't call back to say whatever it is it wants to say.

5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Jason has some pretty decent tallent. I was at RA Friday - Sunday and got to watch him go past Danny Eslick sideways into T8 in one of the morning warm-up sessions. Talking with him later he said he was having a blast riding with Danny as they traded back and forth.

Can he find another second if he had more bike and support, I think he just might.

6. Hypnotiq

Hypnotiq Well-Known Member

Maybe im just jaded from all the various things Ive read lately. It just "seems" that there is always a reason other than his hard work and talent that has Hayes winning.

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Riders are always say "X" part will get me a second. To this day.....I have never seen a new part of any kind (except a new rider) gain an entire second. :D

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Well, there is :)

9. John29

Josh is a bad-ass. I have no real right to be but I am proud of him for keeping the faith, plugging along, working hard and getting to where he wanted to be long after various dumbasses had written him off. Great rider with a fantastic work ethic, and a decent human being, too. Kudos!

10. Chip

Chip Registered

Josh is ghey....

11. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

No it couldn't, it needs to be set up for your engine and exhaust (timing and map) and set up for your rider. So the team would have to reflash it and with whatever they wanted to.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

It depends on what part of the ECU they are reflashing...updating some lookup tables (fuel and timing) then sure.

Hey maybe the statement could be that they can't do that and they have to use a piggy back unit like a bazzaz or a powercommander to do fueling and timing adjustments. Not as nice as doing it in the ECU but it gets the job close and that should be good enough. What that does is make it easier to detect cheating.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So who's gonna forward this thread to DMG. So they'll start doing what we say? :D

14. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

You forgot the last part of the quote which is I think is key to what he was saying
    Looks like he thinks 1.5 seconds are due to rider and crew and another 1.5 are due to the parts on his bike. His estimates may not be accurate, but it sure doesn't look like he is saying he has anything on Hayes' riding ability. And furthermore he is saying that he doesn't think the electronics are really making the difference.

15. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Just the RRW articles will be the best I think Mate. It is blantantly obvious from the pros and cons replies from the interviews what DMG need to do to help grow the sport again

well done RRW for taking the inititive and help create the future again

16. IMO the "run a couple of rounds" guys are very important to every org, for several reasons.

How many people have or put forth the money to run a FULL season? Take away 3-6 entries from every race event and it will add up to a good bit of money lost for the org and vendors.

Same goes for WERA. There are a few people that have the money/time to do a full season. But i would bet about half the people entered in any given race wont make every race in their region on any given year.

I think we need more people on the grids any time we can get them, regardless if those people are only doing 2 races or a full season.

17. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%

18. I think TC is needed on some level for its intended purpose....safety. Every time this discussion comes up, there are those who want to do away with it and get back to the days of the sideways 500's.

Personally, i would rather the racing be safer so we can continue to see more and more riders being competitive and winning into their 40's.

Getting people on the grid is only half of it, they gotta stay on the grid. Reducing violent highsides is one way of keeping people on the grid.

19. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Part #9 was a big surprise to me. I wasn't expecting that response from Yoshimura at all. I'm glad that they have in touch with reality people in their program.

20. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

:stupid: