1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA 1000 class is dead. At Barber and it's just sad

Discussion in 'General' started by GrayGhost, Jun 23, 2012.

1. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Yes the top riders are Brilliant, but the depth of the class is pure shite.

2. I agree that the SS races should be aired on SPEED1, they are VERY exciting.

But I think SPEED is doing an excellent job with the races they are airing. I like the things they are doing like the on-board lap of the track with commentary, the interviews, the technical info they are passing on etc.

I dont like the commercials every 5min and i really dont like the fact that the racing goes on during the commercials. If it isnt live, they could show the commercials while pausing the racing so we dont miss any of it. But then they would have to extend the broadcast and i reckon they arent willing to do that.

But as far as the coverage and how SPEED is presenting the racing, i think they are doing pretty good.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Anyone know how hard, or expensive it is to do the side/side split screens they do for IRL? That would be cool.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%.... Yamaha has it going on for sure and others need to step it up in the Big Class...:up:

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think there's more depth than you realize, it's just that there are so few teams that have the backing to really pour enough money into it to be truly competitive. I REALLY wish they'd do something along the lines of a spec ECU or something so the field was more level, equipment wise. Nothing against Hayes, but look at how easily he's crushing the field now that he's stepped up to a full electronics package on his bike.

I think the disparity between Eslick and Herrin is proof of the equipment gap. For the last few years, Eslick battled with Herrin nearly every race in DSB on similar bikes (although the R6 was faster), now it's not even close. Herrin is nearly as fast as Hayes after only a few months on the big bike while Eslick is fighting for 5th-10th most races.

I want to see competition based on rider skill, not competition based on how deep the team's pockets are.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This line of thinking is what makes it impossible for privateers or small teams to ever have a chance, further shrinking the grids and killing the sport. Graves/Yamaha are running the most expensive bikes on the grid by a long shot. Even Yosh can't/won't keep up financially. If they'd reign costs in, more small teams would have a chance so participation would increase, the racing would be better, the show would be better, more sponsors would come, more fans would come, and the whole industry would benefit:up:

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Hayes/Herrin is soon to be the new Mladin/Spies minus the animosity????

8. Im wondering why they often seem to be at commercial breaks during critical moments of the race, like passes, people running wide, etc. They come back and show it on re-play, but its not the same as being surprised when it happens while your watching the action. I would think that one advantage of a delayed broadcast, would be that you could time the commercials so that the viewers don't miss any of the important action.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They are only paying attention to the monitors that have motorcycles on them every 10-15 minutes or so in the editing room. The bulk of the resources at put towards some redneck jackoff opining about last week's NASCAR races with 2 or 3 other redneck jackoffs

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

And that redneck jack off show has about a million viewers.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Hard to believe, I know

12. backcountryme

The real answer to all of the tv coverage issue is if you want more, start a tv station. Speed makes millions and million on NASCAR coverage. Their programing will not change just because a few motorcycle guys would like it to. It sucks, but it is what it is.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Just to clarify, where are you drawing that line?

14. Larry Lawrence

Larry Lawrence Well-Known Member

I remember when Edmondson criticized the old AMA series for only having two riders battle for wins. I said back then it was rider talent. When DMG took over things initially got closer perhaps proving dumbing down the bikes made for better competition. But now Hayes, for the most part, is the only rider who can consistently win. I still believe it goes back to rider ability. The easy answer is for a sponsor to step up and get Hayes on a MotoGP bike. The series will instantly be competitive again!

15. I don't buy that reason. When they come back from the commercial, Greg White will say something like "while you were away, Josh Herrin ran wide, allowing Josh Hayes to open up a big lead," and then show the replay. It seems like they plan it that way.

16. Im happy with the amount of MC racing on speed. I just don't understand why, with the delayed broadcast, they can't plan the commercials out so that they don't occur at critical moments in the race. I stay away from mc websites, so I can watch the races without knowing the results, so I would like to be surprised by Josh Herrin running wide, instead of returning from a commercial to hear GW talk about it and then see a replay.

17. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Fair call:rock:

18. backcountryme

Isn't AMA putting a cap on the cost of electronics?

19. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Between those two bikes there is most definitely an equipment gap... HOWEVER, I think if you put Eslick on a well-prepped privateer GSXR1000, things would be a lot closer. In this case, it's not just the amount of money spent, but the starting package the money was spent on. The Buell is at a large disadvantage from the get-go.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but it's not even close to truly doing anything at this point.