1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brand of helmet??

Discussion in 'General' started by melissaclark, Jun 22, 2012.

1. melissaclark

melissaclark Banned

Helmet is an important gear for all bikers and have proven to save lives.

So I am looking for a brand of helmet that you know is reliable and heavy-duty.

Can anyone share their experiences with helmet or any recommendation of brand of helmet?

I really need this for my first helmet.

Replies would be highly appreciated.:D

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Arai.

3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

HJC if it rains a lot where you live...

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Shoei, Arai, Suomy...try a bunch on, fit is just as important.

7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

There's a number of quality helmet brands available - Arai, Shoei, Bell...but more important then the brand itself is how the helmet fits your head.

Take the time to go to a shop with a decent helmet selection and talk to someone knowledgeable about fitment.

8. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Melissa.

Whether on the street or racing:

Arai. Shoei.

One of those two will fit your head.

If you can't afford either, don't ride motorcycles.

Do you have a $10 head? Wear a $10 helmet.

Seriously. They are the standard of excellence. Get the Arai Corsair-whatever or the Shoei X-12.

They truly are lifesavers - more, they are QUALITY OF LIFE savers.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

good on ya for spending money where it counts.

years ago, either you had an arai head or a shoei head.
    arai has been offering different shell profiles for quite a while so, really, either you have an arai head or you have an arai head. :D

not to take anything away from the other topshelf brands but, historically, arai and shoei have been the best. (bell helmets not withstanding).

get the brand that fits properly and pay attention to the lining material...some of 'em can rub your cheeks the wrong way.

10. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine found this and sent it to me. They don't have the same helmet model names but you can figure out what they are from the pics. Really cool to see an actual numerical evaluation on helmets like this. It made me happy to have a Shoei!

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

11. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

Arai has saved my life a few times.

Shoei, Shark, and Suomy are good also just depends on what fits your head.

12. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

It's hard to go wrong with Arai or Shoei, if they fit and you can afford them. I haven't tried Suomy or Shark, but i haven't heard anything bad about them. HJC, Bell, Scorpion, and others also make some good, more affordable helmets that are Snell or ECE certified. Unfortunately, they also make some not so good helmets that have nothing but a DOT sticker, so be careful. They're not all the same, and the latest, greatest graphics won't help your head a bit.

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Nothing on the HJC and rain... the beeb is slow tonight.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

All day comfortable

15. 23k5

23k5 Well-Known Member

I'm with all the others who have said.... Arai.

16. Bell RS-1 or Star. Most comfortable, best ventilating helmets i have ever worn...bar none.

I wouldnt trade my Bell for shit.

BTW -- STG has a metric assload of Bell helmets in stock. :)

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah right. :rolleyes:

Soumy or HJC or Bell or other manufacturers dont make a quality helmet?

18. I suggest taking a look at the current Bell Helmets if that is what you believe to be the only choices.

I have worn Arai (Corsair-V) and SHOEI (X-11/12) and i swapped. I can wear any helmet, i choose to wear a Bell. ;)

19. I'm an Arai fan because they fit my head and I trust them.

Attached Files:

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I used to wear exclusively Arai Signet helmets (long oval head fit). But, I tired of paying $500+ whenever an organization required a test date upgrade (Snell 2010, etc), or I crashed a helmet. Look at Scorpion's line of helmets if you have a long oval head. Half the price (or less) of an Arai and nicely finished. DOT & Snell 2010 certified.

But, as others have said, multiple times above, there are only three things to consider whenn buying a helmet: fit, fit, fit. A round-head Arai rattles loosely on my noggin, and that provides zero protection (something about fit being essential to slowing brain mass acceleration inside the cranium upon impact . . . go figure).

There is truth to the $10 head/$10 helmet saying from Bell's 1960's advertisements, but paying $600 for a helmet, alone, does not assure safety and protection. Today, that statement is best geared toward staying away from "brain buckets" favored by the poser cruiser crowd. There are plenty of reasonably priced helmets that offer good protection, provided they FIT.

Cheers,