1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

747 Enterprise question

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

those JT-9's are screamers! lol. First generation of the "high bypass" jet engine....similar version used on the first gen 737's and 727s. Even with the "hush puppy" kits installed they were farking loud. And like Harley Davidson motorcycles and old Rotary piston engines, if shes not leaking there's no oil in it!

the latest GE-90's are so damn quiet its like they arent even running while ground idling....start up is a diff matter as those things vibrate the fillings in your teeth during spool up...none the less very cool stuff to work on.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

38 hours to Cape Town. Four legs, didn't let us off the plane in Lagos.

3. scotth

scotth Banned

Oh God. I used to work with a girl from India. She said it was 16 hours on a plane from JFK to Bangalore, and the flight is usually full.

That seemed like a pretty long day.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

From where? There's got to be a better way. :D

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Seattle -> Atlanta -> Lagos -> Johannesburg -> Cape Town

Debarked the plane in ATL and JHB but not for long, bout an hour each time.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

By the way, if we're counting multi-leg flights, I'm bumping myself up to 20 hours. Tokyo wasn't my final destination, I had a four-hour layover and got back on a plane for one more hour. Second-weirdest flight I've ever been on. One-hour domestic flight on a 747. Packed.

7. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

I think I had around 24hrs traveling when I went Houston -> Chicago -> Hong Kong -> Singapore. I was more than ready to be off the plane at that point.

8. caferace

caferace No.

27 hours coming back from the TT last year. My own fault. I booked really late....

-jim

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Oh, haha. I think the Atlanta -> Lagos and Lagos -> Joburg flights were each around 12 hours.

But, they still didn't let us get off the plane :/

Where was the one-hour 747 flight to?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nagoya.

And I lied. New York to Tokyo was only 13 hours. :eek:

11. scotth

scotth Banned

Yeah, if we're counting multi-leg flights and layovers, I can easily top 36 hours.

If we add delays, I can get almost to a week.

It's shorter than a lot of my other disasters, but I once flew Chicago-->St. Louis--> Charlotte-->DFW (or Houston, I don't remember which)-->St. Petersburg-->Washington-->Miami-->then after getting kicked out of the airport because they were closing for the night, a glorious 6:30 a.m. flight home with six people on a MD-88. It was like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. That took two days and I'd have been home quicker had I taken a bus.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you step outside the airport, it doesn't count unless it's a transfer to another airport.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And by the way, I can't win longest light but I know I can win shortest flight.
    9 min., US Airways express from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. It was hilarious.

14. scotth

scotth Banned

What are we calling 'airport'? Past security? The hotel attached to the airport count?

How about I land at 1:30 a.m., they send me to a hotel, I get up at six and head back to the airport? I don't think I should be penalized because ATL doesn't have an airport on site like a civilized location, like DTW. :D

15. scotth

scotth Banned

Wow. What kind of plane? You'd think a reasonably-sized potato cannon could have done the job.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You got your ass in a bed? It doesn't count.
    Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking Beech 1900.

17. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

:crackup:

18. scotth

scotth Banned

Yeah, but it was only for five hours. That's worse than just staying in the airport.

Interesting. I'm amazed they even offered that flight.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The ticket sold was Miami to whatever Northeast city I was flying to. I can't remember at what point I found out that it wasn't a direct flight.

20. caferace

caferace No.

If hot air balloons counted, I would have you well beat. Seriously rough landing, too. :D

-jim