Middleweights - When does old technology start to limit a rider?

Discussion in 'General' started by bergs, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

i too ride an 01 r6. front and rear suspension done. I was just curious on how much of a difference going to a 06+ r6 would have over the older 1st gen r6. Also would that be worth the investment to someone looking to race in the near future

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I would say that 2 seconds going from a first gen R6 to a 06+ R6 would be worth 2 seconds, and easily 1 second going from a 03-05 R6. I have seen it personally, back when the 06 R6 came out, guys were instantly 1 second plus, faster.

3. :stupid:

When considering the "Big 4" 600cc bikes (and even the 675, aside from the "R"), there isnt much difference between the '06 and 2012 models. At least not enough of a difference that can be seen with the average racer.

The majority of changes from '06 have been cosmetic.

4. Right now, a 2012 japanese 600 is definitely worth 2 seconds a lap over a 2002, given similar modifications. I haven't really followed Kawi, but with Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha, the newer ones have better forks (upside down), more power, smoother throttle response, are lighter, have better geometry, and slipper clutches (does honda have one yet?).

I will say, however that if development continues at the current pace, we may not be able to say the same thing about a 2016 compared to a 2006. Development seems to have slowed down a lot since 2007.

I don't agree with those who say that unless your getting the most out of the old bike, it doesn't make sense to upgrade. How many people are really getting the most out of their bike? In club racing, hardly anyone. Still, the goal in racing is to go as fast as you can. If you can afford to buy something that will help you go faster, why not do it? Ive never ridden a bike or tire to its full potential, yet I noticed general lap time improvements every time I upgraded my bike or pirelli came out with a new tire.

5. I agree, except Honda made a big step forward in 2007.

6. got40

got40 On hiatus...

Empirically speaking, it would seem you were riding something to its full potential, or the extra abilitiy of the tire would've netted no improvement.

7. Ah ok. That is the one brand i haven't really paid attention to. I have owned at least one from all the others, just not Honda. :beer:

8. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

This thread needs the Melkman. Paging Greg.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What exactly does Dick want to do? Get better, or grow faster? A newer bike will help with the lap times, but it won't mean you are a faster rider.

10. :D

11. bitchcakes

Dick wants two chicks at the same time. Duh.

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

"2 chicks at the same time man. Chicks dig dudes with money, and I figure if I had a million dollars I could hook something like that up."

14. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I moved from a 96 F3 to an 05 600rr a couple of years ago. To say there were some upgrades in those 10 years would be an understatement. I went 2 seconds faster the first time I rode the bike and dropped two more as I got it set up for me.

That said, the person I bought the RR from dropped 2 seconds moving from it to an 08 R6 (only 3 years newer but different model). Once again more than years difference there is newer technology and goodies for the newer bike (slipper, brakes....). I have since rode an "OK" set up R6 and it seems I have been hadicaping myself for the last 2 years.

At the level you are describing I think there would be time picked up from an upgrade. The questions posed by the other posters would be the determing factors ($$, short/ long term goals)

15. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I used to do trackdays with a guy who rode a clapped out 1994 zx6. I couldn't do anything in my power to even keep him in sight on my 05 750. Dude was gone, always!

I think it's more of a "knowing your machine, and it's limits" type deal....

16. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

I rode my FZR 4/6 all last season. Stock motor, resprung front end, resprung R6 shock, sag set, stock 18" rear on slicks. Definitely not getting the absolute most out of it but I did okay.

Purchased a 98 F3 over the winter. Forks are bigger, resprung/tuned, has a resprung penske shock, strong motor, nicely tuned carbs w/a slipon. Out of the box its a better bike in every respect, not to mention 15-20 more HP and only slightly heavier. I haven't ridden it yet.

Not that this thread will still be around, or that anyone really cares...but I'm very curious to see what I can do with a much better machine, and test the Harry/Dick theory.

17. I think the improved edge grip gave me a better feeling, which in turn gave me more confidence to twist the throttle.

18. bitchcakes

That's just a bunch of bull for guys who can't afford to "buy" speed. Support your local high-end vendors, and be sure to buy the best pro-grade shit. :D

19. Badmeat

Badmeat Well-Known Member

I'm rocking an 2003 636 as my first race bike this year. We'll see how I do.

I think when you're talking modern 600's/750's/1000's, that are fuel injected with similar power, with inverted forks, with similar brakes/tires/mods....IDK

20. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I would agree 100% with these statements.

It really depends on the specific years and models you're referring to. Right around 06 for most models was a pretty substantial redesign that really affected performance.

Now a 10 year old bike is a different story. A '12 R6 will definitely be 2 seconds faster than an '02, for most people. In other, older cases, even a couple years makes a difference, like going from an '03 CBR600 to an '06 R6 is a substantial bump in performance...