Apple Legal Issues, sent an extra ipad, and we were told to keep it

Discussion in 'General' started by strgt, Dec 29, 2011.

1. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

IMO after you talk to a rep who doesn't say "Have a nice Xmas it was our fault". Its not like he said statute "123 gives you ownership"... I think it seems really bizarre...
    Also How hard would it be to call a Customer Service rep supervisor and clarify the situation before you start buying stuff for it? I mean you didn't pay for it so there is of course going to be the feeling its not yours. If you are that concerned about buying the "extras" call and make sure there is not a problem... Unless you are afraid of the answer you might get:D

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

2. LOL Thanks for playing - better luck next time :D

3. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Did the first Apple rep specifically say the extra iPad could be kept with no charge? Because I don't read the OP like that. It sounds like the rep recognized that too many were sent, started taking corrective action, and confirmed that only 1 charge occurred. Perhaps it wasn't conveyed clearly that a call tag would be sent?

Also, I don't believe that the laws of unsolicited goods will apply in this case. The OP and Apple have an established business relationship via the first iPad. Now if he had received the entire Encyclopedia Britannica collection in the mail along with a bill, and had never ordered it, then yeah... that law applies and was intended for such situations. I used to run into that all the time when I worked for the USPS.

4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Anyhow...
    My take is that sometimes people make mistakes. Whether you make them "pay for it" is up to that person. I just know if I made the same mistake I would hope that someone didn't rationalize the situation like this...
    But hey I got to see how a bunch of other people think.

Ride safe,
    AAron

5. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

Isn't that what he (or she for I'm with stupid) did? He stated that they called to return it and were told to keep it. Why should he ask to speak to the supervisor, and what if that person told them to keep it? Do they ask to speak to the CEO before feeling comfortable about it? If the CEO says it's OK should they hire a medium and channel Steve Jobs to ask him? :Poke:

6. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Like I said early what ever you have to do to rationalize the situation. IMO still doesn't make it right you didn't pay for it.

Ride safe,
    AAron

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Again, why do you refuse to acknowledge the possibility that the mistake could have been on Apple's part (represented by the sales rep) and the person paying for it is the one who is out $70 in accessories?

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

You should have posted this to NESR instead. They all would have just told you to keep it, 2 pages max. ;)

9. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to figure out why anyone would actually solicit "advice" for a situation like this on a public forum..... to each their own I guess...

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I can pass judgement because the fact is he is keeping something he didn't pay for. Sorry but thats what happened.

Ride safe,
    AAron

11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I did say that earlier "Maybe Apple should pay him for the accessories but come on where do you draw the line?" I just ask where do you draw the line...

Ride safe,
    AAron

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I disagree. It's not like the guy is seeking advice on whether he should get a divorce. On something like this, it can be helpful to read about some aspects of the question that you did not consider in making your initial decision.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's wrong with drawing the line right there? Apple made a mistake, they make the customer whole by correcting the mistake (i.e. knocking $70 off his iPad bill). Nothing less, nothing more.

Why does the line need to be drawn somewhere else?

14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

to where it fits his argument best

15. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I dont disagree with that resolution at ALL!
    I just don't get why people would assume something is theirs when they didn't pay for it. Hence buying accessories. My comment about "where to draw the line" was about how much you rationalize things. Like I said its a very slippery slop.

Ride safe,
    AAron

16. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

How come on every "is this a scam thread" everyone pulls out the "is it too good to be true?" question and uses it in their decision making, but in this case people want to believe apple is giving away product like it's nothing?

BTW, nothing good can come from posting in this thread...

17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

:beer: Classic!

Ride safe,
    AAron

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

But he explained several times in this thread that he was told by an Apple sales rep that it was their mistake, and that the device was his to keep. He didn't just "assume." They told him. Well, they told his wife. Is it unreasonable to assume that the sales rep knows what he/she is talking about?

Suppose you're walking out of your local supermarket and a bucket of confetti drops on you: "congratulations, you are the 10,000th customer! The contents of your cart are free."

Would you leave the stuff in the store because you did not pay for it? I wouldn't.

19. That's the best part about this whole story - it's 100% hearsay, but all of you knuckleheads are assuming it's 100% fact :crackup:

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Where is the beating a dead horse icon thingy?
    And that analogy sucks.

Ride safe,
    AAron