Survey on what oil you are using

Discussion in 'General' started by Newb2, Nov 13, 2010.

?

WHAT OIL DO YOU USE IN YOUR MOTORCYCLE?

1. AMSOIL

48 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. MOBIL 1

64 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. MOTUL

100 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. OEM BRANDED

22 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. REPSOL

26 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. ROYAL PURPLE

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. RP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ROTELLA

173 vote(s)
    34.5%
  9. SILKOLENE

25 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. SOME CRAPPY OIL NOT LISTED.

38 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. freak007

freak007 Member

I am an Amsoil dealer, If I have Amsoil on the shelf I will use it, if not I will use a QUALITY diesel oil... 1st choice is Valvoline 5W40 synthetic (the ONLY oil specifically endorsed by Cummins), second choice Rptella 5W40, 3rd Chevron Delo 400, and 4th is Rotella 15W40. What I use all depends on what is available and my budget, but I do not hesitate to use ANY of these oils.

One of the BIG things with Diesel vs gas oils is the shear strength of the film (as noted in an earlier post about an overheated engine), diesel oils also tend to have a higher percentage of ZDDP which is critical to flat tappet cam life. I drag raced cars (door slammers) for many years, for several years I also built cars that would be used in high performance/high stress environments (road racers, drag racers, big blocks shifting@8K+ etc) and used exclusively the 4 above mentioned diesel oils or Amsoil, never had an oil related failure with these oils.

In fact, my last street car weighed 3750 in race trim, ran 10.7Xs N/A and 10.1x on the bottle, When I tore it down for inspection, it had 30K street miles and nearly 250 passes on it. It got new seals and new rings and put back together. My clearances had opened up by .0001-.0002" from the day it had been built.

The only oil I can say from 1st hand experience I will no longer run is Royal Purple. I used to be a dealer, but due to some in house torture testing, I made the decision to no longer sell Royal Purple.

for some interesting reading - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Just realized that this is my first post :P, I did not join to make this post... I have been a lurker for some time, finally joined a couple days ago... great forum

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

Is Rotella the big winner in the poll, almost lapping Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Rotul combined, because most people here are cheap bastards or... ?

:Pop:

3. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

Just like the post above yours the price is un beatable and it is a quality oil. I usually use the white bottle (15w40) and have never had a problem on my super sport build. Anf for the price I can change it more often.:up:

4. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Some of it is price, the rest is convinience.

Rotella is a good oil, I used it for 2 years. It's not a real synthetic, it's a crack and uses petroleum base. Your just as well off to find an MC specific dino oil and change it just as often. You'll save money.

We buy bulk for the shop in 55 gal drums. We get good oil for dirt cheap and fill jugs for people all the time. We do a gallon of good MC oil for $16.00.

I have run Rotella, Amsoil, Spectro, BelRay, Motul and Lucas over the last few years. Spectro gets the win for feeling the best in the bike (shifting) and seems to keep that consistency longer. Motul and Lucas come in second but Lucas doesnt seem to last as long. Rotella next then BelRay with Amsoil at the bottom. Never had engine issues with any, just basing it on how the gearbox felt, engine temps and that we put 22K miles on a CBR600RR (all at the track) with no rebuilds.

5. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

I use whatever the manufacturer recommends. No problems here.

6. Vort3xR6

Vort3xR6 Well-Known Member

Rotella. Only problems I have had were when I overfilled the shit out of the bike and oil was spraying out of my cam chain tensioner gasket.

7. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

Epilogue

This poll has been running almost a year, over 5000 people have viewed it yet just over 300 viewers voted on the type of oil they use--must be a lot of lurkers here that don't have bikes or don't know how to vote.:rolleyes:

:Pop:

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Likely a lot of guys let someone else change their oil and don't have a clue what's in it. Quite a few I imagine.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

or maybe people are sick to death of oil threads?

10. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

If a person is sick to death of oil threads, then why did they click and view the thread in the first place? ;)

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Morbid curiosity why a year old thread was bumped.

Narcissism should have been our first guess.

12. James Bayles

James Bayles Well-Known Member

Lubromoly 10W60 or Castrol 0W60 these are the oils BMW specs for thier M cars, thin when its cold, thick when its hot, thats what I like in my oil. Amalie makes a nice 15W50 synthetic. I have also begun sending samples out for lab analysis on a regular basis, I guess because I still can't believe these little engines stay together for the ass beating they take! So far all three carbureted bikes labs come back with fuel contamination every time!? Floats sticking intermittantly I suppose, real bad for viscosity.

13. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Redline 20w-50 full synth.

14. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I just voted becaus4e I didn't realize how old the thread was - oops!

Mobil 1 in the Ape Mille R because it's inexpensive and seems to work well. No issues ever and running it since 2003.

Motul 800T Road Racing for the TZ250, and Gear300 for the tranny. Somewhat expensive, but the TZ is limited miles so overall comsumption is fairly low.

I'm pretty open to most oils, but some seem a little too proud of their product based on the prices.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

James, which carbed bikes? BMWs? The reason I ask is all my oilheads, from `93 to 2005 are fuelies and call for 15W50.

16. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

I suspect that price is why Rotella almost laps the three nearest competitors combined. Well, and it works good too. ;-)

17. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

Rotella T6 for me. Jan. 2010 we freshened up my 05 R1 that had over 24,000 miles on it. It still ran great but needed refreshing.The last 8000 were all track miles. I couldn't believe how great the motor looked inside. Almost like new except alittle carbon build up on top of the pistons. Rotella works great IMO.

18. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Maxima Ultra 4 because I get it for free and it makes a few more HP over the OE oil

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I use opti 4. Good oii and my company is the distributor for it so I get it free.

20. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Motul 300V - best of the non diesel engine oils I guess. No, please don't flame, just a joke, whatever works!:Poke: