1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remembering High School...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by shogun, Mar 19, 2011.

1. shogun

shogun Well-Known Member

...currently watching a John Hughes movie, so have a question.

Do they still let kids smoke in high school? I grew up in Atlanta, and we had a smokers court yard. I don't smoke, just wondering in today's society if that's still allowed...?

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dunno when you went, but back in 89-93 that was a negative here in Wisconsin.

3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Not at our local high school. Possession of cigarettes by minors is illegal in PA, so by definition smoking is illegal at school. There is not even a teacher's smoking area at Pennsbury High School, which is billed as a Smoke-Free Campus.

IMNSHO, smoking is fucking disgusting.

4. no tobacco products on on school grounds in illinois

5. shogun

shogun Well-Known Member

...I grad. in '90.

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

'93 for me. I remember hearing rumors that there was one at one of the 'alternative' schools in my area, obvioulsy only for for 18+ students, but there definetely wasn't at my school. The teacher's lounge, on the other hand..... :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  7. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

i graduated in 06. Teachers who smoked had to do it in special places where students couldnt see them. And i got suspended multiple times for smokeless tobacco aka dip. At my work they used to alllow smoking inside in the 80s during work. I wish america didnt get so damn damn pussyfied

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Hell no! When I went to school, we got off the bus and walked out to the Town Library property to have a smoke before school. No smoking on school property. I got caught once and suspended for three days.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Raliegh, NC 1974

Smoking was permitted in a restricted area outside.

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

70's. We had a smoking shed that could be used at lunch. Those guys would eat in 5 minutes then go smoke for 25. God they would stink in class. Now you get suspended for tobacco.

11. backbone

backbone scarred for life

We had one when I went to HS, I graduated in 86 and I think they stopped it a year or two later.

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Grad in 85 smoking was allowed at my school. Its not allowed now. i doubt public schools allow it

13. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Way back then....Smoking by permit was allowed at my high school. :p

14. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

As late as 89, my high school had a smoking "lounge" (aka court yard). Anyone could go in it, but you had to be 18 to smoke.

15. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

As late as 89, my high school had a smoking "lounge" (aka court yard). Anyone could go in it, but you had to be 18 to smoke.

There was no such thing as a school resource officer. We had a big, bald black guy named Smitty who was a janitor/security. We listened to him!

16. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Chicago HS 1969-73. There were lines painted on the sidewalks 500 ft from the school property that designated the space where school smoking and other behavior rules started being enforced.

No smoking on campus or on any public property inside the zone demarcated by the lines.
    The greasers had someone's front porch across the street from the school where they would hang and smoke. The socialites had some other place.

Teachers could smoke in the teacher's lounge, which was absolutely off-limits to students. The lounge reeked.

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hell, you can't even smoke in public places in Ohio, bars included.

Smoking in schools = negatory!

18. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

In 95, you had to walk a few blocks. Definately no designated areas. In regards to anti-smoking laws pussifing America, they should raise cigarette taxes to pay for the war in Lybia.

19. slowpoke387

slowpoke387 Well-Known Member

Not here in CT. Cant believe people still smoke anyway - with all the info available these days. It even looks stupid.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You really think it's a good idea to post political bullshit in here?