Overall Championship

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Dec 29, 2010.

1. got40

got40 On hiatus...

I don't buy it. If you're going to win a championship, nov or expert, you're going to win it with lap times. Adding an overall #1 plate just means the fastest people will enter more races. And they'll win the championship.

case in point: Santiago Villa won the overall #1 in three different regions last year in CCS: FL, Southeast, and Mid-Atlantic. The Nov plate in FL and Southeast was taken by Sean Cassel. Don't matter how many races you enter, you still have to beat the fastest guys, especially ones who borrow bikes and enter a crap ton of races on the last weekend to get points and get it done.

Too easy to manipulate. And it will cost WERA something; who else is going to keep track of the points.

2. got40

got40 On hiatus...

CCS is a perfect example of this. Both the champions won the races, but god almighty did they enter a bunch.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. I see what you mean and that makes sense.

5 classes should be the cap.

Many people always enter 2-3 classes anyway, so setting the cap at 3 races won't do much as far as getting people to enter more races.

But setting the cap at 5 classes would be enough to entice people to enter more races, while keeping people from going crazy like you said.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I would be happy to see someone entar that many races. It would help WERA cover bills and help prevent price increases. That makes it more affordable for all of us.

Hell, I'll cover the trophy and put something up for the championship if they will do it.

I will want a little stick person on the trophy. Just because

5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

That's how it was with the LRRS amateur championship back in the day. The guy who raced 2 to 4 races a weekend and did well didn't stand a chance against the guy who raced 8 to 10 (sometimes even more than that) races a weekend and did ok. It was all about the $$$$ back then.

6. ...again, that is people entering more races than they would have normally, which is beneficial.

Regardless of how or why they do it, who's bike they are riding or which classes they enter...the ultimate result is that you have to earn the most points to win the overall championship...so there are more people racing in more classes.

Advantage WERA.

7. Exactly. I am glad you see the point i am making.

People can make up all of the excuses, or ways to discredit it etc. But at the end of the day, you still have to earn the most points to win it...which means you have to race in several classes...which means there will be more people signing up for more races than they would have normally...which puts more people on the grids.

Like i said, i for one would enter at least 1 if not 2 additional classes to chase such a championship.

While i can't speak for them, Riders Discount is a huge supporter of racers/racing and i bet we might could talk them into throwing a lil something in for the overall Champion also. :) Maybe one of those kickass Ogio bags. :D

8. got40

got40 On hiatus...

If the goal is to get people to enter more races, fine. Knock yourself out.

If the goal is to win a championship, forget it. If you can't win in 1 class, how you gonna win in 5?

And if people are so strapped for cash they're staying home and not entering 1 class, how they going to enter four more on top of the one they're skipping?

Its jmo. Its a nice gesture. It doesn't make the #1 plate any easier to get, and I think the impact is minimal at best.

9. Actually yes, getting people to enter more races is the goal (and it should be the goal for all of us with the way things are now).

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I'm 100% with Stick on this one.

Have one novice and one expert overal champion. In Sportsman it would be determined by the highest points amassed during the year, regardless of class or region.

This may get more people showing up. It may get a someone like me to show up with not only my little bikes but maybe an A bike. Maybe the guys who usually ride the big bikes will show up with a D bike.

The point of the exercise would be attendance and entries.

Not really a bad thing, I'd say.

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Let me add this. There are people who enjoy this and spend all thier money doing it. They aren't overly gifted at it, throw me in the crowd, and they will never win a class championship. This gives them something to shoot for. It doesn't make them any less racer than any of us that have race wins and championships to show.

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

One of the things I have always liked about WERA is that when you win a championship you beat all of the riders that showed up for that class in that region.

I don't think it would add very many entries, if any to do this. If done odds are whoever one it would not be one of the top riders in WERA. I can hear it now, So you the WERA champion huh? Does that mean you are the best rider in WERA? NO. Does it mean you won more races than anyone else? No. What does it mean then? It means I entered more races that were less competetive than anyone else...

Even if all classes had full grids some classes will be more competetive than others, there's no way around it.

It seems like right now is a decent time for new riders to start in WERA, bike prices seem to be at a all time low.

13. got40

got40 On hiatus...

This is the part I don't get. How does it give them something to shoot for? Mid-pack is midpack, whether its 1 class or 5. You'd think one of the guys in front of them will be the ones to take the #1 plate.:confused:

14. You are 100% with Stick? It was my idea damnit. :mad: :Poke:

:D

15. Dits

You absolutely have to show up to win. You DO NOT have to be the fastest guy to win a championship. You have to score the most points. Lord knows I'm not fast, but damn I can rack up some regionals by showing up and racing...

http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerprofile.asp?x=1098&rid=1590513082536

16. got40

got40 On hiatus...

Holy crap man. You had like 1000 wins and only finished off the box one time. 10 class championships? Looks like you went pretty fast to me.:up:

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Would the guy who earns the most points at the GNF be more championer than the overall champion? :D

18. Dits

You can't just make shit up. :Poke:

Superlative... championist?

19. Dits

Not really.

20. We all agree that the fastest guy isn't always the one who wins the championship. That has been proven many times over, in every form of motor racing known to man.

If a guy finishes mid-pack in several classes, he will not win an overall championship because he will not earn as many points as they guy who finishes much higher.

A guy who wins just 2 races will still earn more points than a guy who finishes 9th in 5 races. So no matter how you swing it, the best riders will still ultimately win, even when talking about an "overall" championship. However, like Stick said, an overall championship rewards the guy who works his ass off all year, gives a ton of money to WERA and races well in several classes throughout an entire season.

An overall championship awards consistency, durability AND speed. Lots of people can turn a fast few laps to win a single race. It takes something more to place well in several classes, against many different riders, on many different bikes, at many different tracks.

The point could be argued that an overall championship means more and is harder to obtain than a single class championship.