1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing Line Down the Straight

Discussion in 'General' started by talber8, Nov 1, 2010.

1. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

none of this makes any sense. :D

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:stupid:

And tighten those chains, I'm tired of hearing them slapping swinging arms.

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I can't tell you why they did it, but I buzzed the Vintage Side wall at Road Atlanta GNF in 2005 for a few laps because 1. I had a 10 sec lead. 2. There was a fair size crowd of friends and haters there. 3. I was being a Dick.

4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

This topic was discussed a couple of years ago. I think someone actually ended up emailing one of the WSBK riders and got a reply. I think it had something do to with the bike naturally continues the turn when accelerating hard.

5. SurfingRools

SurfingRools Well-Known Member

If you looked at the grid of estoril before the moto2 race the roof of the grand stand cover the whole left side of the straight where they were driving around. The track had gotten no sun and was still damp. So there it makes more sense to ride around to take the dry line.

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

That'd be my best answer/reason.

Plus some of the riders are near sighted and cant read the pit board from the outside. :D

7. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

:stupid: This thread is making my brain hurt.

8. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i think i'm getting this....it's front straight swerve, then leg dangle, then throw it in and corner low as f@ck. correct? :D

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i'm no way near being fast but i believe i know why it's done. since putter isn't in the mood to enlighten y'all with better than a half-assed explanation...:D

when you enter a turn from straight up, there's a few moments of transition to full lean. during this transition, the bike is eating up ground and reducing the width of the track. once it's at full lean, which will be inside the maximum turn radius, you'll have a line to complete the turn.
    now the question arises, where do you want that turn to start? somewhere that is beyond the actual entrance of the turn for maximum radius and corner speed (which is what happens due to the delay in transition), or right at the spot the turn can actually be taken?
    if you want to take full advantage of the maximum availabity of track, you have to be able to start that turn at full lean. so, you approach from the inside. then you swing to the outside as you make your transition to full lean, timing it so your lean is full at the moment of turn entry. you have made the widest entry possible for the maximum radius/speed.
    same thing on exit. it takes time to straighten up and your arc gradually widens as you straighten. continue past the exit at full lean and you've used the whole track to the maximum radius available.

i don't think every corner is suitable for this approach, just as every corner is not suitable for trailbraking.

the cars do it, too. same principle. it takes time to turn the wheel. in that time...see above.

10. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

In car racing we do the "weave" to load up the outside tires on the corner and help "set the suspension" going into the corner. Its more done just before turn in. I know what you are talking about and that is done as most noted before to break the draft and keep the flow going and the momentum up.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

yes, but why there?
    you can still load the tires and suspension just by throwin' it in there and turnin', can't you?
    so, by doin' it before you actually get to the turn, you're taking advantage of the whole track with the tires and suspension loaded for the whole turn, correct? in essence, no delays thru the turns?

12. vr46doctor

vr46doctor New Member

for sure, you all have thees wrong. the reason for thees swerve is aquite seemple. for maximum drive out of corner to catcha Jorge in hopes to overtake, i try to meenimize my physical weight on dee bike. so, i fart in my leathers on exit of eh turn 13, parabolica. this for sure make much for unpleasant. my eh head, it get...ehhh...light from fart vapor, and straight become eh not so straight. i try swerve to the inside to seegnal my crew i come in for new leathers. they eh say 'no', so i stay on course for hopes to continue and overtake Jorge. thees maneuver mistaken by others, much eh like leg dangle, for strategic and they copy.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Can you smell it? I smell it. :up:

14. SurfingRools

AhAhHAAHAHAH I love it

15. SurfingRools

But for sure we try to push to catch Jorgay and when we get to him we stick it in him no? This is racing and we want to make a good race, we make his bike make a slide into the gravel trap.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid:I remember that. I think it happened after a race where the weaving on the front straight was particularly pronounced and just did not make any logical sense.

Unless I'm confusing it with another event, I think it was Overeactor who e-mailed one of the Aussies (Pitt?).

17. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Watch old coverage of Neil Hodgeson on how he came out of corners.

18. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

wind,walls and dead air sometimes come into play

19. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

:crackup:

20. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

That could be. The particulars have escaped me. I searched for the thread but I didn't come up with anything.

I seem to remember that the question was asked in regards to a specific race and a specific section of the track.