Who's switching to Dunlop NTech's In 2011

Discussion in 'General' started by RollieManollie, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

imo, which dont mean shit, if you aren't a front running expert such as Stokes, Wood or Jensen, then thd AMA spec tire will be perfect for you, u dont need ntecs unless youre running with the top dogs

2. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

I run soft fronts exclusively.

The 6680 is a great practice tire, they last forever and is almost impervious to tearing.

The 7704 is a great race tire, but doesn't last as long as the 6680 (obviously) and will tear a little easier.

This year i've been going through 4 rears to 1 front. The 120/80 KR106 is the BEST front tire i've ever ridden on.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

have you even ridden either of the tires in question? :D

4. ToddClark

again, not when you consider how often your buying them compared to the other brands, as has already been said.

5. ToddClark

and if you have your own personal tuner to keep tweaking your suspension constantly, then you can be an AMA pro too. :D

Even the AMA guys will tell you, if they had their choice, they'd be on the NTEC UK in a heartbeat over the GPA spec tire.

Having ridden both, and im no fast guy by ANY means, i think i could probably be as fast on the spec tire as i am on the ntec, again, if i had someone constantly tweaking my suspension at every track i went to in order to make them work, but the UK version i dont have to do that, VERY little set up changes to run my fastest times from track to track. And the GPA's, for me, literally lasted one weekend and they were toast. Once again, the UK's are more cost effective simply because they last longer and DO grip all the way to the cords. The GPA's just wont do that.

6. ToddClark

:stupid::stupid::stupid::up:

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I switched to Dunlop from Pirelli this summer. I made zero set up changes geometry wise but changed a few settings on the clickers, nothin major. The only place that i managed to eff up a tire was Mid Ohio which is notorious for that anyway. In fact, after that event the AMA guys got a new harder front to try out there the following weekend. I haven't tried the UK made tires but the AMA spec ones are all that and a bag of chips.

8. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

NTEC's are awesome. Grip like no other and only drop off a bit after the first 25 or so laps. Then they are pretty much 95% of the original grip until there is no rubber left. The 211 GP-A is a good tire, but the top tires from Pirelli or Michelin are much better. 211 GP-A also is at its best for the first 15-20 laps then falls off just a bit harder than the NTEC. Absolutely no reason to run a GP-A unless you have too.

9. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Are the Ntech's a much better tire than the top tires from Pirelli or Michelin in your opinion?

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

No, thats why my opinion is shit.

11. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

The only real changes I made switching to the spec tire was a little ride height change to make up the difference in overall diameter of the rear and keep my geometry the same. I went fast enough on the spec tire that my lap times would have won races at the ROC on them. I ran Ntecs though.

I wouldn't count on the 6680 always lasting longer though. There are tracks where I will spin the crap out of the 6680 and wear it out faster than the 7704, which doesn't spin as much (at that track). Depends on the track, temperature etc.

IMHO ...my experience.....Ntecs have the best grip of any tire. Yeah, Jensen won a lot of races of Michelin.....dude would win races on Shinkos too

You could make a shim to install above the rear shock that you would take out when running the spec tire vs the ntec. WOuld make switching back and forth easy. Or just run em. To get every last tenth of a second out of either tire, the suspension would have to be setup for that particular tire.....but are you riding to that extreme?

Also, while Ive used the 6704 fronts mostly.....I'm finding that I like the firmer feel of the 6680. They are both awesome. It is funny how many guys are afraid to use the 6680 when it is called a med-hard. Call that tire a medium and all of a sudden it has grip:D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  12. ToddClark

ok, just wanted to make sure we were clear on that. :up::D

13. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the Pirelli has a real soft carcass. Some guys like the feedback it gives, but I found it irritating. It seemed like I could feel every little imperfection in the track....like to much information. I just want to know when it is gonna let go, which is what the Dunlop does real well. Dunlop fronts tell you right before they slip, which is awesome.

THe Pirelli's squirm....you can see that in WSBK. THey are just different.

14. eagletangogreen

eagletangogreen Well-Known Member

@ Dwyer You need to be on street tires so it evens out the competition:tut:

@Ryan bet you go at least 1-2 sec faster on the Ntec or I buy you a "Outback Steakhouse" dinner..:)

15. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Exactly...I've had AMA Pros tell me that the Pirelli is the best front tire they have ever used. Slick or Dot. That feedback lets them get closer to limit comfortably...and the recent upgrades to the rear, both 180 dots, and 190 slicks have changed the game. I always like to remind people that the fastest 600's and 1000's production bikes in the world only run on Pirelli's. That information is getting to you guys.

We are blessed to have many brands of tires that have excellence performance...so try them till you find what you like.

16. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

I don't think so Luis. :D I better step my game up. Now you've got a season under your belt....consistently improving. Gonna have to do some more Wera next yr.:up:

17. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Are you shimming the gp-a more?

For the other guys that asked....the gp-a front is 3mm shorter in dia than the ntec front. The gp-a rear is 3mm shorter than the 190 ntec and 10mm shorter than the ntec slick or 200 dot.

I ran the gp-a's and the ntec slicks and ran 2mm more rear ride height with the gpa's....same front ride height.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  18. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

19. eagletangogreen

eagletangogreen Well-Known Member

Yeah whatever!!!:rolleyes: :up:

20. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

thats not bad mine was 529 for a set of 120 190 dot's