BP Scammers Lining Up at the Trough.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I sorry but in this case, these people are sitting at the redlight, put the car in reverse and tromped on the gas...jumped out and claimed whiplash, and had the ambulance chasers cell number on speed dial.

2. Yep, even if the only reason is because they feel Ehe Man owes them for some reason. I knew it would come sooner or later, i just made this post yesterday...

Just like the tens of thousands of people who decided the hurricanes were their ticket to get paid.

I used to work with a guy who took full advantage of it. In Katrina, all he lost was a 1990 Caprice Classic...but managed to get over $40k from the government.

He even bragged about it. He was in the galley one day saying shit like "im gone gets paid" and "shit, they owe ME". :rolleyes:

I read that after the fact, the government was going after people who did that shit, but he got transferred before i heard if he got in trouble for it.

3. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

No, but if they're driving a Pinto you don't replace it with a Bentley.

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I wonder how much those hotels, restaurants and other business are loosing, not because of the oil, but because oil workers are leaving and going home since they were put out of businesses by the government.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Less than they're losing from the media blowing oil on the beaches out of proportion and making is seem like it's bead from New Orleans all the way down to Key West...

6. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm curious.
    How much is media hype vs. actual damage? The number changes everyday and everyone involved is taking a shit load of criticizm. What a shitty deal.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No idea, overall the beach shots I've seen seem emptier but the people I know who go to PCB and the like are still going.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. They will get their check and be all pleased that they put one over on BP and the man. Within a short time span they will have wasted that cash like all before it and reverted to the low strata they came from. The only difference is they will be able to remember when times were not as terrible as they now are. Eventually they will have run through the scams and their health. Then they will be dependent on welfare for the pitiful existence left. Yep some black sheep in the herd so I only speak from observing....
    Hard to tell without going down and spending a week or two touring. I really don't trust the media for any disaster reporting (watch here after a tornado and they wail on about the carnage showing picture after picture, all of the same house from different angles). Of course I trust the government even less.

Oh and it is ironic but criticizm is spelled with a "s", just a minor bit of criticism mind you :Poke:

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Nothing unreasonable about that. Vacationers are their business.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yes tourism is their business, but how much is revenue off from the spill versus the economy in general? How do you prove it?

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

My big brother and his family are all headed down to the Gulf next week. The word down there is that it's no big deal. No real ill effects so far.

I think the media is overblowing the shit. Maybe they should be sued instead of BP. :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sounds like a Gulf vacation could be a good deal this year.

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I meant to tell you guys that all that stuff I said about being in education, well forget that. I am a Louisiana seal hunter/crab fisherman and have been for a number of years. Remember that if anybody asks, SEAL Hunter.

(time to get paid baby!)

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

For sure. I don't get in the water anyway. I'm just there for the wet t-shirt parties. :D

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Of course not.

I wasn't thinking to that extreme. I mean rational compensation for people whose lives were turned upside down through no fault of their own.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That's for the lawyers to determine I guess. :down:

17. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

Last I checked, that is what is being offered. I can promise you that no one at BP is looking to screw anyone out of what they are due as a result of this mess. They are doing their best to make this right for those affected. All they want is reasonable evidence of the loss sustained as a result. I don't think its too much to ask that people provide some records like receipts and tax statements as proof that they were actually making a living doing something they cannot do right now as a result of the spill.

Of course, if you cheated on your taxes or under-reported your earnings for the last two years and as a result, aren't going to get as big a check as you think you deserve, too bad, so sad...you should have thought about the consequences of your actions then. Karma is a bitch.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Not to steal any of Strickette's thunder but.......Britt if you're ever looking to adopt a fully grown adult from NNJ, I'm your guy! :D

19. WYD OPN

WYD OPN Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! And that's assuming this year's revenue would be similar to last year's receipts in a down economy.

I bet BP is paying off better than insurance companies for all the legitimate property/casualty claims from Katrina. They ALL skated on the "storm surge" technicality.

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Ahhh yes, the brilliance of the federal government. Demand that BP set up a fund to cover the claims and liability from the spill. Of course BP could say "OK, here is your $75m required by law" but my guess they will say...."Ok you money grubbing POS (congress that is) here is your $10B and anything above that you can go fuck yourself".

Seems like if the people affected want to be taken care of and want timely payment they should be telling congress and the administration to STFU.