doesnt it kinda feel weird to some of you?

Discussion in 'General' started by fullmetalF4i, Mar 7, 2010.

1. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

seriously...:crackhead:

2. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

I don't know the story either but I would bet that he did cruise, he had more then enough points, why push and maybe crash badly? He's won, nothing left to prove, no one to race, he most likely lost his drive.

3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I miss seeing Mat out there, but it's the same way I missed seeing Miguel last year and others before that. Life goes on.

But calling Mat a small blip on US racing? Might as well call Rossi a small blip on world racing.

4. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Yeah, in my eyes Matt really was the 'Jordan' of American Racing. The last time I watched basketball was when Jordan was playing, I don't have any desire to watch it after him leaving. Plus, look at basketball now. Hope that doesn't say anything about where road racing's going.

Hey, maybe we can look forward to Matt starting an NBA team? :eek::tut:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He was never a factor in anything I do in racing. He was at less than 5% of the hundreds of races I've attended over the years. He was a blip - and he wasn't the person to beat in 06/07/08 ;)

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

There are a lot of other dates you could have put there when he was the guy to beat ...

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys keep thinking AMA Pro is all there is to racing in the US... I disagree. Keep in mind too that I've known the racers who beat Mladin and moved on since they started racing, Mat was no more a big deal in their careers than the guys they beat in WERA F2. Just another guy to beat then move on up.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In one class in one series yeah, he was the man for 7 years in that single class.

9. Strick

Strick Good to be king

So under that logic any current or former racer in any series is no more than a blip.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

troy bayliss was obviously a blip. :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lets see, in my world, which is what my opinion is based on, there aren't many people that aren't blips. Evelyne is pretty much it.

Just because a guy dominated one class doesn't mean anything more or less than he dominated that class. If that's the way it works then Tray Batey is more of a factor in US racing than Mladin was. He's won more championships, set more track records, been the goal of more racers over more years and to top it off is a hell of a nice guy.

I've seen more AMA races without Mladin than with, so I'm sorry if it offends you but to me it's not a big deal to watch races without him.

12. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

blippity blip....who's Rossi?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The more I think about it yeah, every racer is merely a blip in the history of racing. Even Rossi will be surpassed somewhere down the line by another rider and he'll fade into history with all of the other fantastic riders over the years that are nothing more than pictures in old magazines to all the current fans of racing.

14. Magistrate

Magistrate Member

The racing will likely be better this year with his exit, which I think is great.

On the other hand, to claim that Mladin was not the "shadow cast over AMA Superbike" is disingenuous. He was clearly the man to beat, even when Spies was still here.

15. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Just askin' here: Is MJ a blip in the NBA? He revolutionized the sport, for better or for worse. I think we all know he's not even a blip in motorcycle racing.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agree on the first and totally disagree on the last. Ben was the man the last 3 seasons he raced the series, Mat had to beat Ben to get the plate back, and didn't.

17. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Why would it offend me? I think it is a real stupid statement but not offensive........well stupid can be offensive but not in this case because it is expected.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, I don't watch basketball. He's famous right now for sure, but there were revolutionaries in the sport before him and will be more after him.

19. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

this blip nonsense is some philosolophically deep shit. :D

i miss Mat (and the rest of the factory guys for that matter), but i'll still tune in (and show up occasionally) to watch the old mid-packers battle it out for 1st. it's still racin', the bar's just been lowered...and it beats the hell out of yard work.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I fear (and I hope I'm wrong) that him leaving the sport is going to further diminish my interests in following the series.

The same thing happen in motocross when the guys I grew up with all started retiring. (Stanton, Ward, Bayle, Cooper, Kiedrowski, Bradshaw, LaRocco, etc etc) As they all started departing, so did my interests in watching the new crop race.