Orca, the serial killer

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Orvis, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Since I'm getting tired of hashing Obama and his arch-enemies, the Republicans, let's hack this subject to death. (it may not take long)
    I'm no lover of the Animal Rights groups, but in this case, I agree with them. Orcas do not need to be in a frigging Sea World pool. What do you guys, and gals, think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100225/ts_csm/282809

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I think the moment you fall in the water you are no longer a trainer...you are part of the food chain. Keep your ass on the outside of the tank and you can remain a trainer.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I think that where there is money there will be wrongs.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"...

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My family saw that show last week. I'm sure we saw the trainer who died perform. Pretty amazing show, but yeah, you're playing with something about the size of a bus that likes to eat meat.

6. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I think PETP (People for the ethical treatment of People) should protest the whale for killing a person. Oh wait ... the fact I like steak is inhumane.

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

:stupid:

8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

The fact that this Orca took the trainer off the side of the pool where she was standing is scary as hell. The experts think the Orca was just playing. Oh well hell, that makes it ok. (Oops, sorry, didn't mean to crush your body, I was just fooling around.) Since this Orca has killed two trainers before makes it a tough playpal huh?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It didn't kill two before. One trainer dies in a pool with this whale and two other whales up in Canadia, not sure on details. The other death was a nekkid bum in the tank in Orlando.

Honestly I get why they have some in captivity and don't really have a problem with it. Sea World does more good for ocean animals than any animal rights group.

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Please explain how taking a creature (that is not endangerd) out of it's natural habitat against its will and forcing it into slave labor so you can make millions of profit from it does the creature "any" good.

A (very) intillegent creature caged and forced to do stupid tricks day in and day out will eventually go insane.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  11. STT-Rider

Orcas do not eat humans. IIRC there has been zero documented cases of intentional attacks on humans. There have been a couple of cases where the Orcas have broken through ice and attacked humans because the look like seals through the ice. Smae iwth sharks... they bite once and then leave. Very few actually eat us.. we're boney and don;t have enough fat and must taste funny. If sharks actually liked to eat us think of all the opportunities they have each day..... it's a buffet at the beaches!!!

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Poor way of making a point I guess. Just as I know the risk when I climb on a bike, as a trainer of a 12,000lb animal you have to know there's a chance you won't make it though the day.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sea World does a few more things than just animal shows.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Yeah, they send millions of smelt to their aquatic mammalian deaths every year! ;)

15. STT-Rider

Yep.. but Scripps Institue of Oceanography does too and they don't have a theme park with slave whales..and pearl divers and pirate shows and porpoise shows or penguin shows or sea lion shows....etc..etc..etc

16. STT-Rider

Papa.. I grew up in San Diego and know about Sea World and the resarch they do, much of it very good and cutting edge.

However..Shamoo is the Sea World equal to the giant Panda's at the DC Zoo. They're big bucks and each is worth many millions of dollars. When it comes to Orcas it's all about the $$$$$$$

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It provides money for all the good Sea World does for thousands of other animals.

I also don't know how this one was obtained by Sea World - all I've seen is speculation by a bunch of people with zero facts...

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not pretending Sea World is an altruistic, benevolent organization. I'm just saying it is false to say that all they do is make animals perform for money.

19. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

20. STT-Rider

I figured that would be your reply and it can be reasoned by many that this makes it ok.

However, when the orcas get pissed or go nuts because we cage them it's certainly not the creature we should blame. FYI, porpoise's go off the reservation too it's just not as big of news when Flipper takes a nip outta someone.

Years ago a trainer was seriously injured in San Diego and the orca was just playing a little rough with her.....a 10,000 lb pet can do that.