Your best response to someone lowballing you.

Discussion in 'General' started by zertrider, Jan 30, 2010.

1. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Because it's insulting to you, or at least that's the way I take it.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

<subscribe>

3. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

So Kessler, you think this the way you're going to handle it the next time somebody offers you less than your asking price?

If I drove an hour and somebody pulled this they can expect to pay for it.

A man is only as good as his word and anybody who would pull a stunt like this is worthless.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Wow. I was kidding around, but fuck you too, buddy.

5. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

If you actually want it call me when you dig up some more money.

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My name is KESLER, one S.

There was more to my story than someone offering me less than my asking price, but since you can't even spell my name right when it's "right there" on the page I wouldn't expect you to comprehend that either.

7. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I thought you were kidding when you said what that punk pulled in your first post in this thread, that's why I let it slide.

Your second post told me you weren't kidding and now this post where you try to deny your first 2 posts with the "I was only kidding" crap and then getting indignant with your impotent little insult. Time to grow up little boy.

And I can't tell you how embarrassed I am that I misspelled your name.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

You boys wouldn't get all worked up over nothing, would ya? :beer:

9. EdgeR6

EdgeR6 Well-Known Member

I paid 2k OTD for a 2004 wr250 wiht a bad carb. They where advertisitng it at that price. They didn't want to deal with the carb issue. I bought a carb off ebay for 100. Its a great bike to play with.

I was in the market for a wr450 up untill just recently. You should off seen some of the stuff on CL that was being advertised just before X-mas. I just didn't have the cash then but I could of gotten a 05-07 for around 1500 to 2k.

Its a Game. If the low bal you simply counter offer. I usually never discuss price on the phone or the computer. I tell them I want to meet them look things over. And bring my top offer with me in cash. Cash talks BS walks. If the guy says no the yup I wasted my time. If not well hell I just got a hell of a deal.

10. Game

Game zip tie master

I low ball people constantly... i mean disgustingly.. i've even gotten some fuck offs on the phone.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

:crackup: Thanks, dad.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The second post with the :Poke: :)Poke:, which means "I'm messing with you"?). Seriously?

And an anonymous guy from an anonymous location telling me I need to man up and it's time to grow up is just funny. Kurt Kesler from Winder, Ga., number 334 will be at Tally next weekend if you would like to come introduce yourself.

No shit. People make jokes about pulling the arms off thieves, blowing up Walmart, etc. etc. and it's all good but I agree with a gag about wasting a lowballers time and I'm public enemy number 1. WTF? toptaz1000rr, this is your fault...you owe me beer.

13. J. WILLOW

J. WILLOW Well-Known Member

I've had guys try to lowball me, I simply say I really don't need to sell this motorcycle that bad and it can sit here and rust with the rest of them I have sitting in the garage.

14. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

^^^^This. That's what I was getting at earlier. A cash in hand lowball offer is a starting point. A verbal offer or offer made on a thread post is basically nothing.

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've sent many a lowball offer to people, sometimes because it was all the money I had, and sometimes because I want to see if I can get a good deal. I've also paid full price for my dirtbike and my F3 racebike, because the sellers I was dealing with went above and beyond to give me spare parts and lots of helpful tips/tricks, as well as meet me 1/2 way for delivery (Cleveland and Wisconsin, respectively.) IMO, there's a time to be cheap and a time to get what you pay for.

Lying about a selling price to prove a point to someone who "wronged" you so much by lowballing you, is close to theft in my eyes. I won't ever be buying anything from topaz on this forum anytime soon.

16. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

"Cash talks and BS walks" might be true, and there's nothing wrong with making low initial offers, but people who have cash and wanna spend it don't usually try to offer someone half of what they're selling is worth. The "cash in hand" statement just makes me not wanna sell my stuff to the person, especially when they crazy lowball me because they're assuming two things: that I actually care whether I get paid in cash or with a check that takes a few days to clear (either way I get my money), and that I'm dying to get rid of what I'm selling and hurting for money enough to sell it for half of what it's worth. I've turned down selling people shit that pulled that crap even after they came up with an offer I would've accepted just to prove a point because they acted like arrogant assholes when they made the initial offer. Even when I really did need the money... it's the principal of the thing.

17. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

You should check out "Pawn Stars". The best part of that show is the look on the sellers faces when they are offered ridiculous lowballs.

I use statements like "what are you looking to get" or "what is the lowest you will take" to avoid giving a lowball offer and pissing the seller off. Depending on how far away it is from my magic number, I may lowball or just walk.

When someone says OBO, that could mean 1 percent or 50 percent away from asking price as the bottom dollar. Everyone is different.

I do however have an issue with the CL jerkoffs who send 50 emails repeating questions then lowball.

18. ridnwb

ridnwb Perpetually Angry

I think "What's the lowest you will take?" is one of the worst questions you can ask. More times than not, it just starts the negotiation on the wrong foot. Buyers will usually still try to haggle starting from that number, not the original asking price. As a seller, I find it best to ignore/deflect this question entirely. Otherwise, you're guaranteed to get at most the least you will take (from that buyer anyway).

Pawn Stars is funny because you can see the differing negotiation styles based on generation. The Old Man is always very short with people. It's hilarious but rudely old school at the same time. Big Hoss on the other hand handles it in a much more modern way by still sticking to his guns but doing so in a regular conversational tone. His style is a lot less conflict-oriented IMHO.

19. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Lick my balls. Then leave.

20. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

The only thing i ever ask a seller over the phone is "are you negotiable".The only thing i say over the phone as a seller is i don't deal in "air money".What i do as a buyer & what i tell them to do as a seller is "bring your truck or trailer & cash in your pocket & we will make a deal".

Lowball affers never insulted me half as much as guys who either wanted to just waste my time or guys who are too much of a wimp to just tell you straight up they don't want your bike,i'll get back to ya etc.

I put a car on CL one time & said plz don't call if you want to trade me your dog or girlfriend or if you have to ask either of them for permission to buy.

I have a couple of buddies who think they are wheeler dealers but are assholes,they run peoples stuff down & have all the charisma of a rattlesnake.
    I never run a guys stuff down or pick it apart,i just pull out my money & say this is what i can spend.

I've offered $2000 for a bike advertised at 4k,but it was really a 3 or 2.5k bike,the game gets played both ways.I'm a pretty emotional person,but not when it comes to money.:D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010