New Summit Rumor...

Discussion in 'General' started by Macon663, Jan 19, 2010.

1. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

VIR has the original pavement from when the track reopend in 2000 (other than the new pavement added to the new connectors that were added later). I remember that it was some high tech special blend that they used, maybe a polymer add? It had a long cure time, they paved it in 99, to race in 2000. They ALMOST repaved it last year (or was it 2 years ago?), but they lost the contract company to a state job, that is why it got ground and sealed instead as the bottom of the economy dropped out so I heard it was off the table for a while..

2. joec

joec brace yourself

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

LMAO @ the :26 mark - that's about right :crackup:

4. joec

joec brace yourself

i know....that has hospital trip written all over it!

5. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

6. cdeck26

cdeck26 Well-Known Member

Whomever eppy is wasnt the "first" I posed that question on the forum last week, and I see the post has been removed. I suspect yours will be too.

7. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I think it's also due to the way they budget road work in Europe. Most places will spend the extra $$ to do it right the first time and use the best materials, where in the US it's law in most places to use the cheapest bidder. Or the bidder who's made the most political donations. Pisses me off to see a local road repaved, and then watch it fall apart in a few years :mad:

They also don't have nearly as many heavy trucks as we do here. Either way, the road surfaces over there are amazing. I don't think there's a Spanish word for pothole :)

Another thing that Calabogie has against it is 5 months of sub-freezing temperatures. After all, that is a ski area. Says a lot for that surface to hold up so well. Can't wait to get up there this year!

8. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

For sure. Having spent quite a bit of time in Germany, I was always impressed with the quality of their road systems.

I believe it was Discovery that broadcast the program about the history of the Autobahn; there was a segment where they discussed how it cost $1 million per linear mile (back then) to produce due to engineering and material costs, and how the roadway itself is over two feet thick from the asphalt surface to bottom of the base course which is a large part of why it stays in pristine condition.

9. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Well, if it helps any, the Spanish word for "shithole" is "España."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I don't know where you've been in Spain but the places I've gone are far from shitholes...

11. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Jscott just made a post over there.

"The plan is to repair all of the corners (1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) with the oversight of a pro using the most proven techniques available. If there is a long term solution. this will be it. "Cure" time is built into the equation before there is heavy use. The repaving process is scheduled to take place the last two weeks of March and the first week of April.

Jens "

12. Macon663

Macon663 Well-Known Member

13. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

If there is a sign of the coming apocalypse, surely this is it.

14. rhinorsv

rhinorsv Well-Known Member

screw the blacktop i just want to know if they upgrade/replaced that toxic dump of a bathroom...lol :Puke:

15. Macon663

Macon663 Well-Known Member

LOL, nope, still guaranteed to overflow at least once during a regional/national.

16. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

If this does happen I hope it does not affect the first weekend at summit of the pirelli sportsman series this year.

17. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

LOL
    I laughed and farted when I read that...

I think your right...our time is up..

[​IMG]

18. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

If you go to a track and the bathroom is your number one bitch... Then life is good.

19. KillerCam

KillerCam KillerCam Racing

What is a good cure time for asphalt ?

20. styles

styles The untrained eye

Awesommme.