Slipper Comparison

Discussion in 'Tech' started by steadyeddie, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That nifty side plate cover on your 1st gen...does that work on the 2nd gen?

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yes, you can use complete clutch cover from 1st gen on your 2nd gen sv. You will have to mark where oil level is since there is about 1/4 inch difference in oil window height. You are also required to run aftermarket clutch cover (small one you see me taking off) on race bike.
    If you do go this route get woodcraft cover, they use stock O-ring for seal. The one on that pic is pain in ass because it uses gasket and you must have spare. I will be replacing that one soon, it came with bike.
    You still want be able to take main clutch hub (big one) out but you can change plates and inner hub.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Is that a rule requirement of a club or just a physical requirement due to the swap?

4. TWF2

Club requirement, stock one is plastic.
    You also may have issues with production class.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

For me I don't care about the production class cause the bike is a stuperbike. :)

Looks like around $320 to do the swap...I'll spend it on a track day instead...but thanks!

6. TWF2

I know you don't but just added for others in case somebody wants to do it.
    How did you get $320? Just buy used bare second cover, put your pump on it and get aftermarket cover. I have tons of this covers and I am sure you can find them around.
    It is nice not to have to drain coolant every time you go inside clutch.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yeah new cover

humm...ebay shows me a $37 cover...then just need the woodcraft part and some paint (so I can paint the cover silver instead of the stock black...gotta look good man. :) )

8. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

So I don't spend an entire day running around, where did you get the washers?

9. TWF2

10. steadyeddie

Thank you, kind sir.

11. TWF2

Not sure if you can buy it without account. If you have problem email me and I will send you 6. That place has a lot of stuff you can't find at normal places so it may be worth to open account if required. I am lucky they are local.

12. steadyeddie

Thanks Zoran. I will look around here but if I can't find them I will pay whatever you want for a couple of sets ( within reason, of course!).

13. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Sunshine, we have our own billet Clutch Cover as well for the 1st gen SV's (since 2001, in stock, black anodized). Its $170

Add the $30 for a used main cover like TWF2 is talking about and your out about $200 and safer, let alone EASIER clutch adjustments/replacements.

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Eric, did you get my email about running a couple of the 1st gen covers out of mg for me? I have the material and can get it to whatever blank size you start with.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Ok, well I'll try the clutch with the 1.6mm spacers/washers and use oem 2nd gen springs.
    I'm hoping the wear I put on the pressure plate from my track day stops where it is now. Big thumbs up to Zoran for all his effort!

16. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

+1

It's threads like these that really make this forum one of the best around. So much knowledge here it's crazy. :beer:

17. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Now that all this info is out there, is anyone gonna make a call to Sigma and let them know their shit is fucked up so they can fix it?

18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (and forgive me for not going through all 35 pages), but I thought the Sigma clutches were the ones working correctly to begin with.

19. TWF2

No, old ones are working and new ones not, both sigma and Yoyo. they are same clutches.

20. TWF2

They know, they read this thread and according to UK site they are working on replacement clutch.