vintage wrap up

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by VVRONGO, Nov 12, 2009.

1. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

No charles, just giving you a hard time.Put it into the next Barber payout fund.Gate guy gave me a deal on the gate, said vintage guys were getting f-cked on the gate for a one day event.:up:Poorest GNF turnout ever.

2. melch

melch V7 Pusher

You damn stupid-ass,whinning,bitching,ignorant,pain in my ass,bunch of customers.I cant stand you bunch of bitches

Is this guy "Mongo" really that stupid?? I've wondered this for years.I am perplexed as to the reason people suck-up to this guy.I have seen him attack people personally,call them names,say some of the dumbest sh*t to a customer imaginable on this board.I thought this guy was the freakin truck driver for the longest time.Frankly that should be his only reponsibility.

We all are customers.Modern,vintage,spinach whatever.This guy has NO buisness dealing with customers.He would be fired rather quickly with his attitude and or dealing with customers at any other buisness known to man.Having run and owned a business and or company for 22 yrs. I would certainly concure that you can't please everyone.Definetly a fact.But you should try.Try not be antagonistic,arguminative,condensending an frankly just an A-hole.He is absolutly nothing without the customers(yeah riders).The riders need to realize this as well.The sport is somewhat of an addiction.I guess one would say and that is his only saving grace.

I hope whoever runs WERA reads this.If the owner is female,I believe I have met her.She seemed approachable,nice and professional.However this obese being is anything but.

My one and only dealing with "Mongo" left me walking away thinking"now he's a damn brain trust ".Likes to argue,talks over people,very loud mouth,condesending,the very definition of narcissim,craves attention.Exactly how he reads on this board.Unbelievable.

Wera would be a much better place if he just stayed in the damn truck.Everyone else at Wera is nice,polite,accommidating as one would expect from a professional organization.But Chuck is the best part of experiancing the sport.What a great guy.Always smiling and encouraging and watches out for us like no one else could.And I mean our safety!!!!!!!!!!He is on it.If u do something questionable he will make you aware of it and scold you in the most polite way imaginable.Your answer will be I understand and I apologize.He is an invalueable asset as well as his wife.Genuine people.

Any how after reading the above quote and not being on here in quite some time,one would think he would have wised up in these tough time's we are all having to cope with.But hell no!!Still an idiot.

Since the amount of income we vintage whinners generate is" absolutly ridiculos",I would like to get some of that ridiculos revenue back.Only because its ridiclous.I think that might be appropiate.Lets see,I raced at least 7 weekends a year for 4 yrs.(and thats being conservative),lets say 800.00 a weekend,again being generous with entry fees,practice days,food,lodging,fuel,tires,race fuel,yada.That would be $5600.00 a year x 4 that would be $22,400.00 dollars.And since thats ridiculos and more trouble than it was worth.If I could get "Worthless" to go ahead and send me a check back,that would be great.I could really use it right now just so happens.

Maybe those that want to ride and race should get some of these track day orgainization's to have a track day one day and races the next day based on laptimes.That would be fun.I kinda like waxing modern bikes with a 17 year old bike.Good times--Good times.Remember my fellow riding bretheran YOU are the customer.If your arent pleased with services rendered,well you know what to do.In theses tough times Im sure CCS and Ahrma would restructure slightly to accomidate.These are tough times and I would think most business's would do anything within their power to generate more revenue.And this has a daisy chain affect as well.Causing it to affect many,many livelyhoods in the big picture.

Wakeup water head.Quit being stupid.Know matter what you think,people have choices.All classes,all riders.You can certainly be replaced and frankly if you were to say one more word as a representative of Wera,It would be one to many. Dipstick

Also if he doesnt leave this up,he doesnt have a hair on him.
    My 22cents worf.But certainly don't think for a second his gives a rip.Only when he hits rock bottom maybe he will redeem himself.At least we can only hope.Wera is a great organization.Mongo does it a diservice and constantly throws gas on people and fire's.

Maybe it will all work itself out.The vintage peeps rock and are good people.IMO.I have said only what I have thought needed to be addressed for years.Rock on

3. phantom 309

Only business in the world you can treat your customers like shit and they keep coming back. :Puke:

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Wow...coming in late, but this is interesting.

I have a proposal.....I keep hearing 2 day event, and I keep hearing doesnt pay for wera....well how bout this:

TALLADEGA in 2010...first, Sean is saying without Vintage on saturday, he could run sat practice and make money....I say try that...but THEN...

Choose another Talladega date for a 2 day WERA Vintage event...make sure dates dont conflict with other vintage...kinda fill the Tally 2 day void the other guys left open.

I believe this would call both sides bluff, and provide some hard data. Tally has got to be one of the more affordable tracks which would minimize risk...??

Most everyone knows I'm more of a Saturday only guy, but would support a 2 day event once or twice.

I've got more, but wanted this to stand alone.

PS I do enjoy racing with WERA, but do wish there were more bikes on the grids sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  5. CharlieY

Hey Mark....at least for the Honda350's, AHRMA proddy's are closer to the WERA GP bikes.....but they dont really line up to each other either.

On the Proddy class subject, speaking strictly Honda 350's, If I had to chose between AHRMA Proddy bikes and WERA GP bikes....I'd go WERA GP, and really its for a few small reasons....I dont like stock seat, and prefer rearsets and clipons....all due respect to Ken and Brad's Proddy proposals, with the rest of the bike being stock, I just prefer these "more race-ie" mods.....and I've ground off stock footpegs and such. Maybe a "Proddy Hybrid" of some sorts, just not as far as a WERA GP bike...???...just my take fella's

Also, not sure more classes is the answer to more bikes.

6. CharlieY

Another....Chuck is one of the most highly respected individuals at the track, because he's EARNED it :up: But there is more to the story, he is only part of a team....His wife is also exceptional in her professionalism....I consider anything coming from either of them as the same, no matter who gives me my bad news :D

They way Chuck can communicate with riders on the track, during a race, is the best I've ever seen.

7. Triumph#207

Triumph#207 Well-Known Member

I for one would make a Tally two day Vintage event baring unforseen circumstances. Would make the 11hours+ drive from Houston worthwhile! And I really do think that a two day event would attract others like me who will have long drives to most vintage events in 2010.

Another factor is that all the events on the AHRMA schedule for 2010 are much further even than Tally for us in the Central South mostly being in the NE, NW and West:(

P.S. Although no longer in AHRMA Proddy I agree with you about rearsets. AHRMA Proddy is supposed to be a novice class so my logic is that set-up should be similar to the faster classes to make the transition smoother on the move-up. Made this point to AHRMA as have many others ( even signed a petition) but fell on stony ground.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow. You really are so full of shit it's funny. It wasn't the poorest GNF turnout ever - even in the Vintage ranks.

Look Tim it's simple, I get that you don't like me and don't like WERA. That's fine, but quit the lies. You can state your opinion without making up lies about us to try and make yourself feel better about being an ass. Just accept who you are.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Melch - please explain to me how taking time away from the 90% of our customers is good for the business as a whole? If you don't want honesty then don't ask questions. As for running a business for 22 years and so on, that's nice, what kind of business is it? Because every customer service job I've ever done has had to fire customers who waste your time that you could spend with other customers. Quite simply the people bitching about how horrid WERA is to Vintage racing need to understand that their racing of choice isn't here because it makes money. It's here because of WERA's feeling that we want to give everyone a place to run no matter their choice of bike. That is reality. Vintage racing is 10% of our total entries for the season.

Yes I am an asshole - when you approach me being an asshole. I treat customers the same way they treat me. Ask me a question without being an ass about it and you won't be treated like an ass. Tim has done absolutely nothing but be a little prick for years and there is no need to treat him like anything else.

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Charlie -

Great proposal. I've been scratching my head trying to make the math work on Mongo's get-rid-of-vintage-so-we-have-more-practice-time-which-will-bring-more-revenue approach. I just dont understand it. There would (presumably) still be the Solo 20's on Saturday, so the "extra practice time" gained would be that vacated by the Vintage crowd. Would there really be that many more modern racers showing up (to offset and outstrip the Vintage revenues) for a weekend for that little bit of extra track time? Again, I don't have access to the books, finances or stats so I cannot render an educated opinion, but I'm somewhat skeptical.

Be that as it may (I intentionally did not respond to Mongo's statement as that would hijack and divert the thread from the important point: the future success of WERA Vintage), a stand alone 2 day WERA Vintage event would bewell received, and if properly planned, I think hugely attended. As mentioned, it is not an every month proposition. Rather, it would be a twice or thrice a year event at most. Sort of a season opener and closer a la Barber. I think Jim H's efforts with the Fast From The Past sponsorship has worked extremely well, and melding that concept with the "super WERA Vintage" weekend would be great.Only real problem I foresee is logistics: WERA runs a tremendous number of events throughout the season. Getting the WERA folks (Chuck et al) for the Super weekend could be problematic. As you've noted, scheduling is critical.

Nonetheless, I think it is a concept worth pursuing, and Rutherford Performance Motos would be an ardent supporter.

Cheers,:up:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't want to come back? By all means don't. Go race all of the other Vintage racing there is in the US. I'll check how long you have left on your license Monday and send you a check.

WERA doesn't want or need customers like you. We have thousands of customers that like how we run things, for those customers I'd rather not have you or anyone like you in our paddock ruining their events with your incessant whining.

12. phantom 309

so lets see, melch has a long post on what a ass you are and I am the one that doesn't like you and hates wera. I used to run WAY more wera then anything else and miss it but chosen not to any more due to the fact the grids have fallen to almost no one and im not into spending money to race myself. who do I blame ,You for doing nothing to promote vintage because you could do a better job inhouse. ya look at the great job you are doing (nothing).The people are out there, and jim is the only one who has put effort into getting them.Do I have all the answers to get them back hell no or I would be in the racing business. If this was not the worst vintage turn out at the gnf this year I must have miissed the worst one in the last few years. I think you single me out because I keep talking about the gate rip off you have ben pulling for years to the vintage gs . They spend one day and have to pay the week rate because its to hard to make sure they don't f-ck you so you f-ck us all. Good customer service. oh already said I don't dislike wera, you thats another story, and no I didn't start this tread .:)

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're going to start charging next year for riders who run practice on Saturday and aren't racing. If we have more track time then we can charge more. I've run the numbers and I really am not joking. Between Vintage and the Solos, Saturdays lose money almost every single weekend. WERA could make more by making a Saturday practice and Sunday racing or by doing sprints both days for the modern stuff. That would make the most sense for the business.

I understand you guys don't want to accept it because you like your races - and honestly I do too. But the bottom line for WERA is Vintage racing does not make us money. Vintage racing costs us money. Vintage racing however is a part of WERA and we don't want to do away with it until threads like this start and then you have even Evelyne wondering why the hell we bother.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have done nothing but whine an complain about me AND WERA in this thread and many others - so exactly where am I supposed to think you like anything about WERA?

As for the gate thing - why the hell do you think there has been a discount for racers only running Saturday for years? Not to mention you're seriously bitching about $10? A whole ten dollars? The first race I went to in 87 the gate costs $10, it's only doubled since then - 22 years and what else has only gone up double? Fuel? Tires? Brakes? Leathers?

It amazes me that of all the bitching you do the one thing you keep coming back to is $10.

As for turnout - how exactly do you propose we increase turnouts? I've heard you bitch but gotten nothing else.

I wasn't joking, I'm over the whining, if you've got nothing to contribute then go somewhere else.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Charlie - I'll talk to Evelyne about the 2-day idea but I'm pretty sure she won't go for a gamble like that this year. Right now we're working on just maintaining what we've got across the board and even shrinking some areas until things pick up again.

16. mcengr

mcengr Well-Known Member

A few random thoughts about this thread.

WERA could get along fine without us. I'm glad they give us a place at the table.

I'm ok with the one day deal. It gives me a chance to race between AHRMA rounds. I would show up for a 2 day at Tally or Barber though.

The rule structure seems reasonable. You can't include every bike. Pick a class and build a bike for it. Don't build a bike and then try to get a class for it.
    (I think that just happened in AHRMA.)

The idea about a production class has some merit on the grounds of bringing in a wider range of bikes. The details could get a bit sticky though. I'm not sure adding classes is the answer to increased entries. I mean if you want to race on a budget, it'd be hard to get in for less than a 350 Honda for 350GP.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For the production guys - one of the issues I could see is finding real production parts for them. Am I wrong on that? I know some of the stuff we allow has just been for the ease of finding newer replacement parts.

18. mcengr

mcengr Well-Known Member

A few random thoughts about this thread.

WERA could get along fine without us. I'm glad they give us a place at the table.

I'm ok with the one day deal. It gives me a chance to race between AHRMA rounds. I would show up for a 2 day at Tally or Barber though.

The rule structure seems reasonable. You can't include every bike. Pick a class and build a bike for it. Don't build a bike and then try to get a class for it.
    (I think that just happened in AHRMA.)

The idea about a production class has some merit on the grounds of bringing in a wider range of bikes. The details could get a bit sticky though. I'm not sure adding classes is the answer to increased entries. I mean if you want to race on a budget, it'd be hard to get in for less than a 350 Honda for 350GP.

19. charles

charles The Transporter

Dear Mongo- and Evelyne:

Criticism doesn't mean we (the vintage riders) don't care or that we're looking for another organization to race with; at the heart of the matter is the desire to continue racing with WERA, and the thoughts- and feelings- of how to make it 'better.' Perhaps this is where aspiration collides with reality, the reality of WERA as a business that needs to make profit to stay alive and functional. The aspiration of vintage riders is to make the racing as exciting and memorable as possible, with good competition and comraderie, and there is nothing wrong with that either. Somewhere in this mix is the makings of success, despite the ad hominem attacks on this thread that will serve no purpose except to create resentment. Success requires creative, innovative, and entreprenurial effort in this time of national fiscal distress that impacts individuals as well as organizations. There are good ideas out there, and in order to consder and facilitate those ideas, we need to cooperate; ego is a nice thing, but often times it needs to be the servant of achievement as a group, otherwise, the purpose is drowned in a sea of complaints and angst that lingers and eventually destroys even the best intentions, and, as some of you AHRMA guys know, can even destroy an organization.

Maybe my effort here will be taken wrong, so let me say this: from the beginning, I came out to race and stay with WERA because I enjoyed the experience. I never felt I could 'win' but each time I raced I got better, and learned more, and every time I came away with a good feeling, despite where I finished. To me, it's the 'whole experience' that I enjoy, so...boys...let's not wreck the deal because we seize upon this or that. Together we can do so much more. Yes, I know, I wasn't seen in 2009 on the grid, but an injury and a new business took up my time and energy. I kept in touch and I'll stay with WERA, hoping that Sean and Evelyne can hear and grasp the message that a good portion of us vintage riders will work together to make vintage events more challenging- bigger grids- and profitable. We trust that there will always be a place for us on the grid at WERA events. And remember- after your youthful days are gone, you either race vintage or you probably won't race at all.:D

Best to all,
    Charles R.

20. Czar

Czar Well-Known Member

Whoever did that first post needs to find a new place to race. If you have a problem with Sean, fine, but that was just insulting and stupid as a whole. Vintage racing at WERA is there because I believe that WERA should have a place for any motorcycle to race. Some of my philosophy on this has really cost WERA money, or in the case of Vintage Racing has only contributed 10% to our income on a good day....that said we have tried "farming out" Vintage Racing and it only resulted in sef serving rules and more arguments so we took it back in house. Vintage Racers remain the vocal minority with WERA - seems like no matter what we do it does not please some person/people. To even suggest a two day event when we have Regions that have no Vintage grids at all to speak of is like asking for the moon....be real here. I am all for WERA Vintage racing being a part of our schedule, but not at the financial well being of this business. I have been asked to reduce the number of Vintage race weekends and now some are asking for two day weekends......I keep Vintage Racing on our schedules even when I repeatedly take home trophies.....so far I don't see what the gripe is and unless suggestions are not self serving for the few, Vintage Racing will remain as is. WERA will again run the AMA VMD and we hope that WERA Vintage racers take advantage of the points offered and we do try to work with other orgs to make racing better across the board....just sorry some of you feel so picked upon. It is a good thing that we all have choices - just sad when one or two try to make those choices for us.