1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cigarette prices goin up AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by stalemate27, Mar 31, 2009.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Budget conscious smokers buy by the carton.:D

This is a bad time to be a minimum wage worker with a two pack a day habit.

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I hope you're not serious... $0.40 per cigar increase starting tomorrow... it was proposed at $4 per cigar!

The guys really taking it in the shorts are the RYO (roll your own) guys... its like a 600% increase for them...

Luckily, I'm pretty well stocked on cigars, so this shouldnt hurt too bad.

For those that dont pay attention. :p

http://www.stogieguys.com/2009/01/01132009-stogie-news-schip-cigar-tax-increase.html

I know our .gov is really smart and all, but funding a healthcare program from sales of an industry you are actively working to destroy does not compute.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. photoDude

photoDude Well-Known Member

This is why I have been on the patch for six weeks now.
    Two more weeks to go.
    You know at $29.00 for a box of patches for two weeks? That is only about two bucks a day. You can just switch from cigs to patches!!

4. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Just make it up by working 10 hours a day.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Glad I quit 13 yrs ago. Cigarretes I mean. The tax hike is great. It prompted me to score a box of La Aurora's limited Barrel Aged stogies. Aged in Carribean rum barrels. Mmm!

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:crackup:

Shouldn't we count on the opposite? People living longer and lingering on and on and on, suffering from one malady after another?

Why? That's not helping you. Quitting is about you and no one else, keep it that way or it will interefere.

7. Cjanik

Cjanik Active Member

i hate smokers as much as any other non-smoker does.

however I dont think its right to tax the @#$%^& out of smokers.

a HUGE portion of our (nevada) millennium scholarship comes from smoker taxes. There are so many benefits so far from taxes from people who smoke.

and if it gets taxed too high....they could actually LOSE money because so many people will start quitting, especially when times are tough like right now.

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm glad someone caught that. I chuckled a little when I passed the RJR building on the walk home last night. :cool:

9. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

fwiw, i really dont care but.....

they will come after your big macs next
    or your yuengling
    or your twinkies
    or your pizza
    and on and on.

soon the nanny state will tax you for everything they consider to be a vice. you have been warned.

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Or maybe slam a tax on race-compound tires. :D

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

If they could tax teh stupid on the Internet, no other taxes would be needed. :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Oops, guess I am the first contributor.

14. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Freaking $17 for a 12 pack of New Castle. Although, Yuengling is still hanging strong at $8.99.

15. bluedevil

bluedevil Well-Known Member

Its funny, I was thinking it, but you said it... :beer:

16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Sin taxes are funny thing. There was a discussion (I don't know how far it went) about taxing the non-diet beverages to promote weight loss.

Dietitians put a stop to it pointing to the obvious that it usually isn't the overweight that orders three 12" subs, fries and the bloody diet cola...

17. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Bought what I hope were my last two packs yesterday... I sure will miss it.

18. blevins429

blevins429 Well-Known Member

I quite a week ago, only 1 week and I already feel better!

19. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

Verbal non-smokers are almost as annoying as bible thumpers.

20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I agree, but if you let them get to you next thing you know subconciously you find yourself reaching for a smoke, either out of spite or stress.

My opinion is some of the most vocal anti-smokers are ex-smokers who didn't really want to quit, and hate every moment of it. They hate people who continue to smoke, too.