1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA turn 1 crash at Road America?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev177, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Kev177

Kev177 Well-Known Member

Anyone remeber the big turn 1 crash at Road America (?) a year or two back? The one where one rider's brake lever hit another rider's bike and locked the front wheel?

That happened to me last week and I'm trying to get some pics or video of it to watch while my re-constructed collarbone heals.

Anyone out there remeber which race it was and who was invovled? I think Speed actually shows it in the intro for AMA coverage.

Thanks,

Kevin
    [email protected]

2. CRA Flagger

CRA Flagger Member

I'm pretty sure that was Steve Rapp that went airborne. The year was 2001 or 2000. Apparently you didn't come out as well as Steve - he ran back into the pits and made the restart on a backup bike. I don't have access to the video but I'm sure someone here or at insanespeed.com will have it.
    Good luck on the healing.

3. VTracer

VTracer Well-Known Member

It was 2000. Steve Rapp on a ducati. He ran back to the pits and started dead last on his backup bike. Finished like 8th or something I think. I was at the race, just not in turn 1.

4. Kev177

Kev177 Well-Known Member

Wow, was it really that long ago? I was thinking it was Formula Extreme, so you are probably right.

My crash wasn't on the start-up lap, so the speeds were much higher. Big props to my new helmet (Shoei RF-1000) and leathers (RS-Taichi) for keeping me relatively in one piece.

Anyone else confirm the above or have pics/video?

5. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Yes, definitely Rapp, he ran his brake lever into Kocinski.

6. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

And Yikes! did a 100+ MPH stoppie to avoid running over Rapp.

7. Kev177

Kev177 Well-Known Member

8. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

That video is all over the Web, do a Google on ("steve rapp" crash video "road america") and you'll find it.

9. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Road America Crash....

....give me some love too... :D

I tossed my "brand new paint" GSXR 600 down in corner 8 during the GTO race. Bike ok, minus the new paint job, gravel trap took care of that.

I broke my left collarbone and waiting to see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. :mad:

10. Kev177

Kev177 Well-Known Member

that sucks!

If your interested, I have used a great surgeon in Chicago. His name is Dr. Bradley Merk, he's at NorthWestern. He was awesome. I had the plate put in Thrusday and went to work on Friday. I can't say enough good things about him. I had the surgery done as an outpatient at their downtown location, 251 E. Huron.

Tell him Kevin Barker sent you.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

can we put a metal plate/bar arount the front brake lever? when i rode dirt bikes in the woods of IL we had "bark busters".. kept our fingers from getting mashed if we tagged a tree. I have seen a couple videos of this incident happening. Gabe Palmer did it at Moroso a few years back and the video was NOT pretty.. flying, literally..