1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Tundra....I supercharged it

Discussion in 'General' started by Prov431, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

Recently pulled the trigger on a few upgrades to my '08 Tundra CM, 5.7, 2wd 19xxx miles.
    TRD supecharger, some Nitto Dura Grappler tires, stainless step rails, tow mirrors. End result:
    504 HP, 550 lb torque, it's a towing beast, family hauler & daily driver.
    It'll roast the tires into 3rd gear! (heavy E Rated tires no less)
    Made first long tow to FL and back (1400 miles) got 8.8 mpg @ 72 mph towing 31' travel trailer (weighed in at CAT scale during trip...truck was full of fuel, 4 passengers, and lightly loaded in the bed. Weights are 'hitched up' with my Husky WDH: 3280 front axle, 3940 drive axle, 6760 trailer axle, 13,980 gross weight.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ueLqzjt6w&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Y6mQHJgyk&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iROPG_8b-U&feature=player_embedded
    this one the thing breaks loose from a stop (towing the trailer):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUvaJcZeiQ&feature=player_embedded
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. got40

got40 On hiatus...

I'm assuming you had the trailer before the s/c, so what gas mileage did you get before?

3. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

Yep, this was mainly a towing upgrade (with the added fun factor as a side benefit)
    Towing mpg actually increased from 7 mpg, as the truck doesn't search around for 4th gear anymore...stays in 5th almost exclusively (6th gear on a long downhill)
    around 2300 rpm @ 72 mph.
    Daily driving mpg is rather dependent on how heavy my foot gets.
    Overall, it was a big improvement for the truck.

4. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

Love that whine!

5. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

So, what does something like that set you back??? Did you do the install?

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Nice!! I have a 2010 Tundra 5.7L 2wd DC and would love to do that to mine. It's a chunk of money but everything I've read about it has been positive. BTW are you over at TundraTalk by chance? The truck with trailer combo looks familiar. I tow a 150 Blast toy hauler with my truck and get between 7-9 mpg at 70 mph. It does not weigh in as much as your rig but is 8' wide so it has plenty of wind drag. Tundra's are good trucks this is my 2nd one in 10 years. I also had 2 tacoma's in that 10 year span. I assume the dealer did the install work. I asked my dealer about it and they told me they had never done one before, I ran for the door....

7. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the vids

:D

8. TheGrouch

TheGrouch Well-Known Member

Duramax + EFI Live FTW.

Nice truck BTW. :up:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  9. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Yup.

My 8500lb Diesel Van and loaded 24ft race trailer including 40 sets of tires, tire machine, 2 bikes, and 105 gallon of race fuel gets me 11mpg driving between Phoenix and Chuckwalla...it's mostly flat...and I go 65-70 the whole way. Same combo going to Vegas from Phoenix...which has many 6% grades, but also lots of coasting...towing at 55mph... I got 14MPG. I had lots of time and wanted to see how high I could get the MPG.

BTW...very nice tundra, liked the vids...I wish Toyota had a diesel version...I would consider buying one.

10. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

How much did you spend? Close to 7k?

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Did you do the kit install yourself? I helped a friend install a TRD kit many years ago, I was very impressed at how thorough and complete the kit was set up, and the clarity of the instruction set. We did the whole install in about 6 hours, worked perfectly.

I helped another guy put a Gale Banks turbo kit on a Ford F350 Diesel, and the job took two days and required all kind of unexpected modifications to make it fit. We had to use a "Jaws of Life" to alter the firewall to get the exhaust downpipe to fit. What a joke. The truck ran great once we got a second kit module for the EFI.

There's kits and there's kits.

12. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Nice ! :beer:

Onew question, I thought TRD got outta the SC thing , or maybe it was jsut on the 4.7's ? Where did ya find yours ? Thinking of doing in on my Tundra if I can finf TRD one that is -

13. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

I see........ videos!!!! Without motorcycles :tut:

Nice Truck though.

14. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

SC was approx $5500 + $750 install. Had my local dealer handle the purchase and install because when you go this route (dealer purchase + install) your SC becomes part of your new vehicle power train warranty....so I have 40K left of warranty which covers everything if something should break.
    SC'ers are available through TRD, internet and your Toyota dealer...finding one capable of a good install was my only issue. Sparks Toyota in Myrtle Beach, SC probably does the most...but I had a dealer in Southern Pines, NC do it and they were spot on perfect.
    I'm not bashing diesels...this is just what worked best for me...already got a sweet deal on the new Tundra back in '09...couldn't see spending 50K on a new diesel truck when my Tundra just needed a little more kick.
    Yep, I'm on the TundraTalk forum as well...forum junkie I suppose.
    SC'ers are just not available for flex fuel engines...everything else is good to go.
    Anyway, real happy with the purchase...made a huge difference...so did the tires...stepping up to E rated got rid of the side wall flex and they tow great!

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If it's still under warranty then I'd say you did pretty damn good.

16. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i dont have a tundra- but i do have my tacoma super charged. bought it used, super charger installed by dealership. had 40K on the odometer when i bought it in 2005, now have 135K on the clock and have not had a single issue. the TRD supercharger is a very well set up package. do they have a 9th injector kit for the tundra's? (probably not, but the 7th injector is great on my truck)

to Gigi... toyota has played around with and i believe is under construction of a full size diesel engine for the tundra. hoping to go that route in the next 5 years. quick google turned this up:

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6543162/the-general-forum/toyota-tundra-diesel-confirmed/index.html

(i didnt see any videos to get banned for...)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  17. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

18. Hondaphile

Hondaphile Well-Known Member

I am a Toyota technician and I have installed on of these kits. No extra injector kit comes with bigger injectors and higher flow fuel pump. When I took it out for the test drive I surprised a new base model corvette owner.

As far as the diesel was suppose to have come out with the new body style but with the economy and super high gas prices at the time they didn't release it. We have been told it will come out with the next redesign, so probably looking at another 4-5 years before we see a diesel Toyota.

19. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

Umm, actually it does come with 1 additional fuel injector + replacement injectors for the rest of the rail + different heat range (cooler I believe) spark plugs, new fuel pump, hoses, intercooler pump, heat exchanger, TRD air intake kit, bla bla bla.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

with the dual exhaust ..c/d est: 0 to 60 in about 4.7 seconds and conquer a quarter-mile in 13.5 seconds :wow: