This is a pretty amazing achievement

Discussion in 'General' started by CorollaDude, Nov 30, 2009.

1. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=38828

I ain't no JU kiss@$$ as I'm too old to worry about kissing anyone's @$$. But for Chris Urich to give three or four ridealongs would be tough. But 57??!! Not to mention the money he raised for the Air Fence Fund.

Years ago I did a ridealong on one of JU's bikes with Grant Lopez and a coupla years later with Steve Rapp, both times at VIR. I saw that it was complicated for the pro rider with the different levels of passengers' fear tolerance and weight shifting abilities. Rapp clunked my helmet coming into the frontstretch for me to watch the speedometer. It hit 154 before he starting braking. :wow: I remember how it was tedious to take my girlfriend riding on my CB750 Honda back squidding on the country roads of Halifax County in the seventies. I can only imagine the responsibility and pressure that Chris exhibited at Fontana. Pretty amazing... :bow:

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Yup, way cool.

3. I think saw him out on his own maybe twice ..he did a great job !

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Chris "Ironman" Ulrich

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I thought this was going to be a thread about you selling out the first printing of your pretty good autobiographical novel…

But good on CU anyways!

6. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Had a bunch of passengers say that they went faster on the back, than they ever had on their own bike. A couple reported seeing 180-ish on the speedo, but I think with the gearing change it was closer to 160-ish. They seemed more impressed with the braking, than with the acceleration, many said they were sure they were gonna crash or run off when they flew way past their normal brake markers.

That was a lotta laps to make hauling around all sorts of people, big, little, medium. I guess the extra tough training program is working out! It was a good day, and the next time those people show up at Fontana they should be able to see a little more Airfence in place.

7. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

That's really impressive. My hat's off to him because I know when I've taken girls on two-up rides on the street it was hell. To do what he's done at that pace with the hard braking and everything..... very admirable.. and for such a good cause... awesome.

much respect CU.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Awesome.

I did that a couple years ago and it was hella cool. Chris was passing people, on the inside, in the A group with my 225+lbs A$$ on the back.

John, can you set this up out here somewhere, maybe Road ATL? That would be a hoot as well.

Great job Chris!

9. John29

I'll look into it. Maybe we can put something together with WERA someplace, I'll ask.

10. P 51 Jockey

P 51 Jockey Well-Known Member

I sent my ladyfriend out for a ride Saturday. She was still in shock Sunday afternoon.:up:

She thought I was full of crap when I explained how we ride. LOL

11. John29

That's the beauty of the program, it's educational! Especially when it's a TV news reporter who thinks motorcycle racing isn't a sport "because the machine does all the work and you're just sitting there.":D

12. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

The first time I did a ridealong, coming down the frontstretch of VIR with Grant Lopez, in my heart I KNEW HE WASN'T GOING TO MAKE THE TURN! I had already personally reconciled with the fact that I was going on a long lowside. :wow: He made it, of course.

Now you folks race all the time and it's not that big a deal, but to a newbie, you just don't get any more thrilling than that.

13. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

34s at ACS with a passenger is pretty impressive! :up:

14. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Hell.. I'd like to run 34's SOLO! Best I've gotten around that place is a 39.1

Yes.. I'm slow.

15. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend and I both did the ride with Chris on Saturday after the rain delay. Cold track, and he was still ripping. Absolutely unreal experience, and I can't express my gratitude enough for the opportunity. Those guys run a stellar program, and they were all extremely accommodating considering the weather delays.

Big, if a 39 is slow, then I am REALLY slow. I personally think anything sub-40 is extremely respectable ;)

16. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Wish he'd come do it at Barber or RA.

My wife would be the first in line. :up: