F2 technical question

Discussion in 'General' started by RC51racer, Aug 20, 2002.

1. RC51racer

RC51racer wannabe racer

can anyone tell me if the F2 comes stock with a 525 or a 530 chain? Thanks
    Mike

2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

The manual list it as DID50V4 with 108 links. From DID website the 50 is 530.

David

3. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

Technically speaking,
    You should get a newer bike.

I've been there.

4. werase643

werase643 Well-Known Member

the F2 is a fine race bike
    it was a great race bike in its day.....that was a while ago
    as long as you don't expect to win....it will be fine

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

:Puke: I have been doing quite well with mine in the CCS Forumula40 class!

6. RC51racer

RC51racer wannabe racer

smart a$$ ....lol Yeah I know its out dated, hell I've owned 3 RC's now so I'm no stranger to the newer hondas. Unfortunately I've gone back to college and cant really afford a newer bike, let alone a tire eating beast like my RC racebike was. I do really miss that bike though, mostly having a V-twin underneath of me.
    TXFZ1, thanks for the good info. And the rest of you guys thanks for the encouragement. My only real complaint about the my '94 F2 is the suspension!!! I've purchased an Ohlins rear from a fellow forum member which will help but I want to do an entire front end replacement. I had purchased a 929 front end but got ripped off by the guy selling it. Needless to say I'm still in the market for a front end.

7. CBRman93

CBRman93 Well-Known Member

530 chain according to the Honda manual.

I do have to add that yes an F2 is old but still competitive to some extent. It may be down on power, a little heavy, and slow to stop but do the right mods to the suspension, retrofit a 97 or 98 rear rim, throw on some F3 bodywork for good measure, and put on some good brake pads and you're ready.

As I see it, the bike is only as good as the rider. I guess that's why it was so easy to draft pass a 2001 F4I with my 1993 F2 and never lose that position afterwards. (No engine mods either)

F2 = Timeless design.

Ben
    CCS #501

8. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

I learned to finish top 10 on my F2(stck susp. & eng.) about the time F4i's and R6's came out.
    I got an R6 and started getting top 5's with the same or less effort.

I even miss the F2.
    I may have started this, and I stand by what I said, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the F2.

9. RC51racer

RC51racer wannabe racer

You know I've also gone up against other newer CBR's with my F2 and won. These things have pretty strong engines.
    CBRman93, what is standard practice with the F2's front end? My 94 is cartridge vs. your 93's standard forks but I'm sure they both need work. I've purchased some .95km springs for it and am waiting on my spacers to be machined, I've also purchased some 15w fork oil to stiffen up the damping. Also what setup are you using for your brakes? I've noticed the fronts are a little on the weak side.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2002
  10. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

I did a '91 F2 with racetech stuff just last week and couldn't believe the diff. Now the guy will have to buy a rear shock bcz the front is so much better than the rear now.
    If I had done the susp. on my F2, I might have kept it a bit longer.

11. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

f2....trusty....user friendly....great to get started on

this is an excellent thread...good comments from those who know....i'm outta racing the f2/f3/s now because of ...well....i went to the tlr1000 vtwin....but i'm selling the f2 (trusty as man's best friend) and with a slight reservation, it was my first (sob)....to the feller's i've been talking with about buying mine, talk to these guys for more insight :)

12. My first racebike was a 94' F2 setup by Roger Bell. That thing was sweet, and I rode the heck out of it, changed the oil and kept it clean and it ran as good when I sold it as it did when I bought it. It had the Ohlins rear shock as well, and Racetech springs and valving. That thing handled like it was on rails. I never had suspension issues with that thing. I could out brake and pass newer bikes thru turns but was exiting and straights where the newer bikes took their toll on me. Even as little as I am it didnt' matter. Now that I have my F4i done, man what a difference. That F2 wore me out sometimes cuz it was so much heavier, and I had to work hard to keep up, best finish I ever got with it was 17th I think which was like out of 36 if I remember right. Anyway, now with the F4i minimal effort goes a long long way, straightaway speeds is awesome I think I finally have the suspension issue worked out. In fact on a cold suspension setup, and first time riding it on the track I was running 6-7 seconds faster at Putnam then on my F2 so that is huge gains...Looks like I have a good chance of finishing in the top 10 vs top 20.

13. werase643

werase643 Well-Known Member

i love how... what is the chain size for a f2 is converted to how great a f2 is as a racebike....still

14. CBRman93

CBRman93 Well-Known Member

Definitely an excellent topic.

I recently put a Penske out back and had Traxxion do the forks. What a difference!!! It was not the same bike. The feedback is awesome. It turns in quicker, less fatigue during a race. After a track day (practice session) I had it dialed in pretty good and dramatically dropped lap times.

Well worth the Grand+ I spent. The only thing I still dn't like, RC, is that I don't have much to play with in the front. Just preload. I set it up soft when doing the sag and have had to tweak it harder a little since.

Needless to say I went from finishing a measly 29th on stock to a 12th after the mods.

I hope that sells ya!

15. RC51racer

RC51racer wannabe racer

thanks alot for all your input guys. I knew when I bought the bike that there would be a wealth of information here. I'm assuming some of you have re-jetted the bike as well. Other than your normal stage 1 or 2 jet kit, what changes over the stock jetting seem to be helpful? I guess what I mean is that if you only need to make the pilots larger or smaller, then why buy a $100 kit? Seems stupid. I've also heard that 4 points ignition advance helps out a bit. Any comments?

16. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

i dunno about the jetting....when i bought it back in 97, the builder set everthing up ....so ....i never paid much mind to it becuase even when wera was running production class 600 and i changed from yosh to that stock black can/headers it ran just as sweet. (just uglier :D )

i also ran vance and hines and full exhaust and never worried about jetting changes...from cold march mornings at road atlanta to hot steamy days at roebling....and took my first, 2nd place, in the rain on the f2......'ol zanyeights caught me on the straight on roebling on his 750 kawi :(

and now that it qualifies for V-7, i must be outta my mind to try to sell it :confused:

17. RC51racer

RC51racer wannabe racer

Well I didnt get ripped off as badly as I thought. The guys email address was inactive so it appeared as though he bailed on me. I had originally purchased a set of 929 forks and triples from him at a great price. Well a package shows up yesterday and it contained forks rotors and calipers instead. Which is fine with me since the brakes would've cost me more to buy than a set of triples. So anyone have any 929 parts available? I need a front wheel, axle, triples, and brake master cyl. w/ lever.

18. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

Here is my CBR F3 story. I still race this thing too :eek:

Going down the straights I get pass a lot. I am slow, but I know how to hold the throttle open on a straight, you have to give me at least that credit :D

Anyway, bikes pass me, and they pass me soooooo damn fast the suction from the vacuum they create as they go by me pulls my bike into their wake and my foot off the peg. I SH#T you not.

I think I am at my max with this bike, I am among the faster guys on this relic and I still have stock suspension (front and rear).

I am holding off on any modifications, and will just deal with this for the time being. This is only my second year of racing.

Then next year or the year after that I will get a new bike and do everything RIGHT the first time from what I have learned so far.

But you have to agree, F2/3's are great newbie bikes.

19. RC51racer

RC51racer wannabe racer

I cant wait to do my first track day once I have my suspension and brakes sorted out. I'm much too used to good suspension like my RC, I couldnt deal with this spongy crap they put on the F2.

20. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Speaking of newbies and F2's, how is the tire eating factor of an F2 compared to say an SV?