how do i put my dad's v-max together???

Discussion in 'General' started by jigmoore, May 29, 2007.

1. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

local shop that convinced him to build it....just sent me down the street with the bike in pieces.

i'm so friggin pissed, sad, worked up, upset i can't even type straight.

i started dealing with this shop almost ten years ago. as i got my dad involved in bikes he really enjoyed the whole bike atmosphere and the shop. they deal mainly in high performance stuff...and my dad really got into that.

they convinced him to do some work to his '95 v-max. they bored it out, put cams in it, converted it from shaft to chain drive, added r1 wheels/brakes, put a hindle 4-1. that was all good intentions...but they ended up keeping it for over 18 months and they raped dad for over $12k on the deal. he wasn't really happy with the deal....but always wanted a bike done by this performance shop...had plenty of money...it ended up making 160rwhp.....so didn't make a big deal about it. the bike ended up meaning alot to him...but had troubles after they built it (felt out of balance, leaked oil, wouldn't start hot). between dad and me, we've only put about 1000 miles on the bike since all the work was done. both dad and i rode it gently because both of us felt that something just wasn't right on it.

after dad's wreck last june, i felt the v-max was the one thing that most captured his spirit. i decided to keep it forever. i didn't really ride any motorcycle for months after dad's wreck, but when i started back, it was on the v-max. it brought back the original enjoyment of riding that i had missed for so long. i became even more attached to it.

so back in march the v-max started a real bad knock. needless to say....i was sad. i took it back to the shop and asked them to look into it since it was only 1k miles after the rebuild. they agreed. well, two months go by and i call and they still haven't dug into it. this is not abnormal for this shop. it's one guy, who's meticulous and busy...but over booked. i told him i felt stuck. this was a returned bike, i felt it should take a higher priority. he agreed that he would do the same thing in my position and decided to make it a priority and open it up.

so, he called me friday and said he's got it all apart, looks like a heat problem in the top and bottom of two different rod bushings. and then tells me he's not interested in dealing with the project any more.

i still can't get over how a shop can have so much money, time, emotional story in a bike...and just decide they want someone else to deal with the problems they've created.

sorry for the long story....i just need some suggestions on who can put this bike together again. i certainly don't have a clue how to get it back together. the shop didn't just throw the stuff in milk crates and shove it out the door. he labelled it all, put it in baggies, and packed the bags in boxes. a competent performance shop should be able to easily take care of this.

help. i'm sad and i want dad's bike back together. i've given up on getting it back together anytime soon....so if you guys have any suggestions...i'm all ears.

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

That is so sad :( .

There are a couple of times in my life where I have felt so screwed by someone that I decided to do something about it. Usually I just accept being screwed over... hell, most times I expect it. On a rare occasion I have informed someone that they need to make things right or they are going to become my new hobby. They will do anything to make me go away by the end of it. Once a guy in California stole money from me when I prepaid for an item. I eventually got him fired from his job as a Sheriff's Deputy.

I think this might be one of those cases where you should tell this guy to make it right or else. I suppose it might be so emotionally draining as to not be worth it... you'll have to decide.

Then, if I get really pissed at someone, I turn the whole issue over to my wife. She has NEVER not gotten what she wanted out of someone. :tut:

STEVE

3. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

wow.

4. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

What did he say when you said, "wtf do you mean you don't feel like dealing with the project anymore?"

5. KnightHunter

KnightHunter Registered Loser

That is seriously messed up! Sorry I don't know of any shops that can help you out. I'd at least report the guy to the BBB

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Have you called Chip @ KWS? I've toured their facilities and they seem well equipped to take on the work. They also seemed really busy.

7. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i was so mad when he told me on the phone friday, i just said alright, i'll pick up the bike tuesday. i didn't want it to ruin my trip to saranac lake (new york) with my family this last weekend.

when i showed up with the trailer today, i just asked if he cared to explain his position. he didn't really have a good answer. he complained about my insinuations that he might have done something to cause this failure....but then agreed that he would have done the same exact thing i did (take it back to check it out with so few miles after the rebuild).

back when he agreed to open it up to check it out, we talked about getting someone else to put it back together...just for time's sake. he said he was fine with that, no hard feelings, he understood and would have done the same thing.

well, i think he sat and stewed on that stuff and just decided to dick me over.

he's not the owner of the shop. i've left a message for the owner asking him if he agreed with this decision. i don't think i'll leave him alone until he mans up and at least calls me to straighten it out, or tell me that he agrees. either way, i'll accept it....but we're definitely gonna talk.

8. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

what about someone like hanshaw?

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I feel your pain! While not losing or having invested as much as you and your dad did, I have had several bad experiences with shops and race or custom bikes. And, I don't think I had too options at my disposal.

I think I will be calling Chip next time!

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i don't really know him.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's a longshot, but Fritz Egli might know who to send you to in the US. His reputation for building the baddest VMax extends far beyond Switzerland.

12. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

anyone know....what is that anyway....german?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yup, German. Sorry, it's been a good 15 years since I could speak it.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Amen! I remember pictures of his bikes. :wow:

Dale Walker used to be big in V-Max's.

16. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Best bet, is to find a drag shop with VMAX experience.

17. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

most of the engine work was overseen or done by some big v-max hotshot in new york.....pcw racing i think it was?

edit...yep. that's them. i just called them and left a message. not sure about them, though. local shop blamed most of dad's 18month wait on them.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

That would be Switzerland then... Ya!

20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

i understand the cost ya got in it but why not buy a slvage motor to put in it then ebay all the hop up parts. ya could get a lot of money back i would think.
    in any case, sorry for the headaches:beer: