Old gas

Discussion in 'General' started by (diet)DrThunder, Apr 6, 2006.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I have (2) 5 gal. gas cans full of Cheveron premium pump gas that I bought during the Feb. Tally weekend. The gas was left in my truck (not heated) since then. It's in those heavy-duty plastic jugs like everyone has.

Is it likely that this gas is still ok to run in my bike, or should I put it in the truck and buy new gas? At $2.90 a gal. for super, I'd like to use it in the bike if I can.

Thanks!

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Bike. You will be ok.

3. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

I say wait until Nashville to put it in your bike :moon: Anything to make my comp slower:D

4. (diet)DrThunder

To refer to me as 'competition' is a little bit of a stretch, doncha think? :) Wait and see if I can go more than .5 laps without ending up on my head, then we'll worry about competition :)

5. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

Hey, well all I got was 5 laps at Roebling and I was on my head :(

6. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Its been my experience that heat and sunlight degrade fuel more quickly than cold and dark.

7. Correct to a point, the container must be sealed and non vented regardless of heat/ exposure. More heat = higher rate of evaporation, i.e. evapping off the "good stuff" in the fuel. I can get into more scientific detail if you'd like, this is what i do for a living.

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Hey, go scientific on me here :D c12 + A747 left in a seled plastic VP jug for three weeks in a dark cool garage closet. Run straight up, or mix half and half with fresh gas with premix?

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

It's official ... I crown you the Official Cheap Bastard Of 2006 (so far).

I never thought Stickboy would lose his "OCB For Life" position. :)

10. (diet)DrThunder

I"m cheap because I don't want to burn super in my box truck? Do you buy super for your car if it doesn't need it?

ANYway, thanks for the info guys. Oh, and if there is any doubt whatsoever, I'll just put it in the truck...so far it seems as though it's fine though.

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i didn't bother to read the post. does dDt have an old gas sponsor now?

12. Strick

Strick Good to be king

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHHA.......Classic:bow: :D

13. Chip

Chip Registered

Sweet Hey-Zuse you are a cheap SOB!! WOW!!:eek:

14. (diet)DrThunder

I"m cheap because I don't want to burn super in my box truck? Do you buy super for your car if it doesn't need it?

15. Chip

Chip Registered

If I have old gas, then I put it in a lawn mower or generator, or poor it in a tank of baby seals....

I don't run old gas in anything I care about.....Why would you even consider it. IT'S OLD GAS!

How about this one tight wad......did you know that your bike will make more power with lower octane fuel......in fact, the lower the octane the better until it starts to detonate so go find some cheap 81 octane and feel the power!

16. (diet)DrThunder

I run super in it because the manual says to run super in it. If I had credible information that I should only run 81, or U4 for that matter, that's what I'd run. I do appreciate you tossing in some insults with your extremely helpful information though.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I used to age my fuel in a dark, damp room with my wine and my cheese. Drunk, fast and constipated. The only way to enjoy life.

18. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Dammit, Chip, lighten up. :tut: Dave has $29 invested in that gas.

19. Chip

Chip Registered

You don't have any credible info that you can run U4 in your bike?

Now you do......rock it out.....in fact, MR9 is less octane than U4, and makes a lot more power.

Now you know.:up:

This is pointless because there is no way you will run VP

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I am just waiting for a review of the Chevron. Maybe we will get lucky and he will share later.:D