1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX7 vs YZF

Discussion in 'General' started by omnivore, Nov 14, 2008.

1. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

SO My local track is doing a 4 weekend series this upcoming season. 2 weekends will be sprints, and 2 weekends will be Endurance (3 hrs)...Club Racing, Low pressure, low cost, loose rule structure. Any mods, any tires. Very welcoming to newbs.

Classes-
    Superbike
    Twins *
    Formula Two Stroke *
    Clubman Challenge (Air Cooled) *
    Lost Era (Min 12 years) *
    Vintage (Min 20 years) *
    Lightweights
    Rookie Cup (Under six races)
    Old Boys Club (Over 40 years old)
    Sidecars (select rounds)
    * Classes that will be sub divided

NOTE:
    I have no track experience other than Phases 1,2,&3 at FAST Race School. So I don't mind riding smaller bike up a class for more time and experience, and have no fanatasies of being champ etc. Just want to try my hand at racing before I get too old to learn it, or heal from possible injuries,LOL

I am choosing between two bikes that will allow me to run or choose from multiple classes.
    89 ZX7( slip on, race glass, prepped Vintage Racer, no mods to suspension or engine, and 96 YZF 600, light crash victim street bike..bone stock.

Looking for input from veterans as per my bike choices.

2. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

The ZX7 is probably the better bet. The YZF is a "better" younger bike, but getting it sorted out and prepped can be time consuming and expensive.

3. omnivore

I should also have noted that another reason I included the YZF is that I am only 5'4" 155 lbs, and very short inseam (29"). I had a 94 ZX7 two yrs ago, and although it handled well, it took muscle. Bike bike, and the bars were so far away I couldn't look over my shoulder without letting go of one handlebar.
    Now my local bike shop has agreed get me a steal on tires, trade price on parts and mods, and to wrench free for me, installing jet kit, degreeing cams, installing gold valves, and race wiring. So the prep isn't too much of an issue as he already wrenches for his son who is a CDN Pro600 rider, and have no doubts in his abilities. He has been wrenching since he raced Nortons 35 yrs ago in the UK. My bike painter has agreed to paint it and his bodywork supplier has given me a $200 discount on skins.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

ZX definately

5. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

YZF cause I like Yamahas

but really the ZX

6. omnivore

After some research, I am betting the YZF is just as fast as the ZX7, while weighing sunstantially less.

7. omnivore

ZX7 with cracked up bodywork, and lightly crashed YZF with cracked up bodywork and bent right clip on:

Attached Files:

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

the ZX 7

9. bkkruser

bkkruser Well-Known Member

ok so far everyone says zx7, you keep bring up the yamaha.so it looks like you want the yamaha. buy what you will be happy with,oh my .02 zx7

10. omnivore

I am going to go see th ebikes this weekend and decide in person. Too hard to know just from emailing possible sellers

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

12. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

Omnivore,

What track is this at and what is where can the info be found for the series you are talking about?

Brian

13. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have a 96 YZF and it takes alot of work to get the bike to handle really well. The YZF also has a great midrange for a 600 but is pretty weak up top.
    Parts availability for the YZF pretty much sucks. There just is not much out there.
    If you do go with the YZF, and the rules allow, the non-radial mount R6 and R1 calipers bolt right up, and when used with the correct master cylinder so wonders for the brakes. Shock work is a must. the forks are not too terribly bad as the 96 had a well designed-for the time- cartridge fork, but a set of springs and revalve are a definite plus.

14. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

15. omnivore

Thx Kovs.
    yeah that's the series.

16. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

I like the 7 over the Yami!