1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX-6RR bodywork

Discussion in 'General' started by Day One, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Day One

Day One Well-Known Member

I've been looking at all the diferent companies that make bodywork and trying to find a full race set for the new Kawi ZX-6RR.

Sharkinz -last I checked they are still working on making thiers and are on back order
    Cheetah - just talked to them. 3-4 weeks till they start production
    Armour Bodies - May not start making any until May or June

These are my top 3 picks for bodywork manufactures and none will have bodywork in time for my first race of the season. Not that it matters yet, I'm still waiting for the bike to get off the slow boat from Japan ;)

So to any other ZX-6R/RR racers this year, what are you doing for bodywork?

2. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

I got the Sharkskinz. The upper/lower came two weeks ago and the tailsection came today. I'm sure it isn't easy for them to meet demands, I've been on their waiting list for about 2 months. The upper and lower fit great, I'll see how the tail fits this evening.

3. Trickle X

Trickle X Instagram-regalmetalworks

I have a slightly crashed set of sharkskinz from vir. Had them for a few weeks. They will get them to you rite quick, but get on the list asap.

4. Day One

do both of you have ZX-6RR's or just R's?
    My RR is supposed to arrive this week but....who knows

How does the lower on the Sharkskinz look? is it fully closed in on the sides are are there vents like the stock stuff?

Looks like I'll have to call Sharkskinz tomorrow during business hours to get on the waiting list. :rolleyes:

Brad

http://home.attbi.com/~dayoneracing

5. Trickle X

I have the rr. It is similar as stock if I remeber correctly. Have you riding your rr yet?

6. Day One

I'll be riding it for like a day to do a little break in before it goes on the dyno and then to the shop for some R&D and race prep work.

to my knowledge nobody in the northwest has the RR yet. My dealer has had the 636 in stock for over a month tho. :( Hopefully it will arrive SOON so I can be ready for my first race.

7. Trickle X

That's odd, I have had mine since the begining of Feb. I spoke with a guy that had one in Cali.

Your gonna love the slipper clutch.....& hate the lack of midrange coming out of a turn. I put the race akro on it & it seemed to not make a difference in the midrange, but then again it was raining when I rode with the Akro.

As for handling, I havent rode it with the stock rear shock, but contrary to what was in the latest RRW, it handles pretty good rite off the bat with stock ride heights. Now mind you I put on a triple clicker Penske. It steers way better then the 1k w/ an Attack triple clamp for sure.

8. chrisarillo

chrisarillo Well-Known Member

I just received my 6RR today. Really quick steering, no more dropping the the triple trees! 0-10k seems pretty linear but rather gutless. I'm hoping that there is plenty hiding up top. I talked to the guy at LP about frame protectors (not here yet), rear-sets (working on them), and akrapovic exhausts (back-ordered). Armour bodies posted a similiar date for availabilty. The 6RR availabilty seems kind of funny. I bought mine online from a dealer in Ohio and they shipped it to me (FL). They got theirs 2.5 weeks after the local dealers here in town. The excuse I heard was everything starts west and the north-east is the last to receive product. Archaic distribution system? Post your dyno figues, I'm curious!

9. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Well-Known Member

10. stuman

stuman Well-Known Member

Check with AK Composites. They used my stock bodywork to make their molds and they should be able to make you a set pretty quick. I have a ZX-6R not the RR, but isn't the bodywork the same?

www.akcomposite.com

11. chrisarillo

chrisarillo Well-Known Member

Mr. Kyle, have you thrown any exhausts on a 6RR yet (Arata?). I was going to buy an Akrapovic but I can be sold if you've got something better. Likewise, any parts availabilty. And do you do any Ohlins internals for forks?

12. Trickle X

Woodcraft has rearsets, I just installed mine today, finally.

13. Dan Kyle

I have Ohlins internals for the ZX, I am also working on the stock valves, simply reshimming them. The forks are slightly smaller versions of the 2002-03 R1. They respond well to polishing, and the stock valves look very good. The stock springs are too soft, I measured them as .86, I believe Kawasaki claims they are .825, either way too soft. The hydraulic "stop" seem to be to "dramatic", for advanced riders removing it will work, for less advanced it needs to be modiflied.
    The Akro pipe looks very good, but if you can wait a little longer, the first week in April, I have full Titanium Sato pipes coming. The dyno charts show them to have the same top end as the Akro, but the Satos have more midrange. I have one coming for me to test and make a custom map next week. I will test and make maps for both the 600 and the 636. Arata is still working on their pipe, they will not release it, unless it is as good or better than the Akro. Sato will also have rear sets in the second week of April, and I have just run out of Sato frame sliders for the ZX, I will have more in the first week of April. We are testing a Winders designed device, that changes the throttle from a 1/4 turn to a 1/5 turn. We have also mounted Sato clip-ons, the riding position is greatly improved, the Sato bars move the handlebar forward, as well as being angle adjustable.
    For the ZX6, with race bodywork, an Ohlins 120MM damper and 52MM clamp work well.
    I should add this about the dyno charts, the 636 air fuel ratio at high RPM and 100% throttl is near perfect, while the 600 is very very rich, that most likly means, the 600 will gain a fair amount of power with a Power Commander, and a good map.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2003
  14. Trickle X

Dan, I am VERY interested in tweeking the RR's power curve. I have the full Akro Race(not the evo).

Let me know what you come up with, as I am interested in possibly the powercommander over the Race ECM for the sake of cost.

Thanks

15. Dan Kyle

From what I understand the only advantage of the Kawa Kit set up, is that is can act like a pumper carb, sending a burst of fuel when the throttle is twisted suddenly. I will have access to both so I will let everyone know what works. I talked Dynojet into helping me and have a non USB Power Commander now, to start making maps early, so that when pipes arrive maps will be ready.

16. Day One

I checked the AK composites website and I believe it said bodywork is due in late march. A little too late for my first race.

I've got an Akro Evo on order that should arrive next week and will be equiping the rear end with an Ohlins. A Power commander will be on order as well.

Dan, I was in your shop for pizza at last years laguna WSB races. Nice place. Those Sato pipes look nice.

As for frame sliders and Case guards: Circuit1 (www.circuit1.com) will be using my bike to develope those, as well as suspension, rear sets, and clip ons. Tell Pat that Brad sent ya!

Brad

17. stuman

stuman Well-Known Member

Call AK, they most likely have not updated their web site. I know he has the molds done and I'm picking up my bodywork on monday.

He may be able to get you a set quickly if you call.

18. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

Day One, I have a 636. The Sharkskinz lower is a copy of the stock bodywork and has the lower vents on the sides. www.hugeindustries.com is making reverse shifting rearsets, crash protectors and steering damper mounts for the 6rr/636r. I saw the rearsets the other day and they look sweet! Much like Arrow rearsets with bearings, but nicer. I'll have them fitted next week and I'll post the pics.

Dan, I'm glad your doing all this and keeping us posted. I'll be in the market for suspension and exhaust soon. Hopefully in 2 weeks, I'll be cracking the cases to install the different input shaft to get that slipper clutch on there. Thanks for the heads up on that also.

19. Day One

Excellent...Looks like its sharkskinz for bodywork. (thanks MD Racing!)

I just picked up my Akro Evo system from EDR performance. WOW! as always, these things are works of art. Now I just need a bike to mount it on!

whats up with the lame new configuration of the power commander modules? The new ones have fuel map support only with USB port and now you have to buy the ignition control module seperate when its available later this summer. Sounds like they found a way for you to pay more over the long run :(

I got the list of "official" Kawasaki performance accesories from my dealer as well. The adjustabel ECU they list, retails for 749.95! Anyone know the benefits of it over a Power commander?
    (other than the fuel burst Dan Kyle mentioned)

if anyone wants to see the performance accessories list, let me know and I can post it on my site or email it to you.

Brad

20. Dan Kyle

Day One, back to the Dealer, The Adjustable ECU is $749.95 as you said, but to adjust it you will also need the ECU lap-top card another $599.95.
    Adjustable ECU Part # 21175-0009 $749.95
    ECU Lap Top Card Part # 26031-0025 $599.95